My cod4 app wont launch!!!

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Yeah. :\ I'm gonna open it up tomorrow and see if it's the same manufacturer as the one that I took out of the Mac mini.

Didn't have to open it up to find out its a Hitachi drive. And what do you know, the server's drive was also a Hitachi drive hhhmmmmm :thinking:

Gage

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
im guessing that while you were adding all those skins from cfgfactory, it messed with your overall config. maybe thats why the safe mode error keeps popping up

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
im guessing that while you were adding all those skins from cfgfactory, it messed with your overall config. maybe thats why the safe mode error keeps popping up

Yea, that occured to me to. So I replaced that modified folder with a copy of a backup i have of the original. It's still crashing

- - - Updated - - -

:(

Have you tried adding a new local user, installing Steam and installing cod4 on that local user account?

Do you think that'd work? Wouldnt it just use the cod4 data thats already on my mac?

- - - Updated - - -

It has now been over a week since i've played cod4.....im starting to suffer withdrawal effects :alcoholic:

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldnt there be some way to do a master reset of a game to the way it was when i first downloaded it (for steam games)?

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Do you think that'd work? Wouldnt it just use the cod4 data thats already on my comp?

Worth a shot. When you delete the cod4 folder from your current account, it's probably leaving stuff behind. When you create the new local account, you should haven't any of these things on that account.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Shouldnt there be some way to do a master reset of a game to the way it was when i first downloaded it (for steam games)?

Yes, and you've already tried that; it's the "verify game cache files". If that didn't work, something in the OS and/or user account is acting up. Really strange TBH.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I have this installed and works a treat: http://onnati.net/apptrap/

Whenever you delete an app, a few seconds later you'll get a popup that says if you want to leave certain files or delete them.

edit:
by "move files", they mean move them to the trash as well. when deleting apps, always select move files.

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Im tryin that trash app out. Reinstallin cod4....again. hopefully it works this time :D

Thanks so much btw for all the help so far guys! Means alot to me! :party:

Gage

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
if you dont completely erase all the files, a message will come up once you reinstall cod4 asking if you want to completely replace the remaining files/ app or merge the two files. Always click replace all

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
if you dont completely erase all the files, a message will come up once you reinstall cod4 asking if you want to completely replace the remaining files/ app or merge the two files. Always click replace all

I've deleted and reinstalled it three times now since it started crashing. It has never asked me that

Gage

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
i posted last time about using terminal. Have you tried exec Cod4 using Terminal? I had a similar error problem where cod4 wouldnt open. Once i typed command into Terminal to exec cod4, i got in perfectly fine. Once in, i clicked optimal system settings in options and opening cod4 worked normally ever since.

Try hard deleting every cod4 files and reinstall. If that doesnt work, ill post the command to exec cod4 using Terminal.

Last edited:

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
yea, im pretty sure i just deleted every cod4 folder i have except the "main" folder backup sitting on my desktop. So hopefully once it reinstalls it'll do so with the default factory settings. If not, I'll try the Terminal option

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Don't move anything from that main folder until after you try opening cod4 after the fresh install.

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I reinstalled it.....there was no warnings about running in safe mode...it just started up, then the little loading icon popped up for a bit (WaLLy's avatar) and it crashed......again

- - - Updated - - -

:alcoholic:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
You installed AppTrap, and when you deleted the cod4 folder, did it tell you to move other files?

PS. My avatar is called "the beachball of death" XD

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Yup. It asked me to move or leave alone associated files. I said to move em. Then I emptied my trash can. Then I redownloaded the game

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you should just bite the bullet and purchase a non Steam version.
I think you might be right. Which isnt terrible. But another 20 bucks isnt exactly nothing. Dang, oh well

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Have you tried asking Steam for help? Ask them to give you the keycode. If you can get it, I can send you the cod4 DMG.

rocketfish

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
On P.C.'s we can go back to a old restore point when the game was working and usually that'll fix the problem.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
King, I still think you should try creating a new user. Just takes a few short minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-x_DRg8XU

edit:
That's for Snow Leopard (10.6) but the process is similar on 10.7 and 10.8.

edit 2:
Before creating a new user, delete the cod4 folder, and make sure AppTrap deletes the other files as well. Then create the new user, install Steam and cod4 and try again. If that still doesn't work, you're probably will need to do a fresh install of the OS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom