God bless the USA

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
What I, on the other hand, cannot fully agree with is same-sex couples adopting children.
I mean, it might affect the children in unknown way.
Children often don't even have an opinion of their own, they are highly dependent on their family and they can't really protect themselves against possible abuse or other misconduct of their parents.
It is therefore quite a risky business, until sociologists fully understand how life in a same-sex couple affects children and their mind.

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
What I, on the other hand, cannot fully agree with is same-sex couples adopting children.
I mean, it might affect the children in unknown way.
Children often don't even have an opinion of their own, they are highly dependent on their family and they can't really protect themselves against possible abuse or other misconduct of their parents.
It is therefore quite a risky business, until sociologists fully understand how life in a same-sex couple affects children and their mind.

Not a totally exhaustive bit of research by any means, but still. http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/gay-parents-as-good-as-straight-ones/

PR3C1Z10N

Sergeant
|K3| Member
Common sense does not dictate so. You might have heard that inbreeding causes huge genetic disorders because dangeroud allogenes get their chance to cause the illnesses which otherwise dont get to show up (hope you dont deny the fact that genes exist?)

Inbreeding causes genetic disorders. Homosexuality results in less children.

We live in the 21st century.

God lives in the 21st century too.

Using the year/timeframe we live in order to somehow diminish God's importance is irrelevant.

Last edited:

PR3C1Z10N

Sergeant
|K3| Member
I never said that I want to diminish God´s importance.

I know, all I was saying was that just because we live in 2015 doesn't mean that God's laws don't apply.
I do agree with you that everyone should equally respect each other.

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
Inbreeding causes genetic orders. Homosexuality results in less children.

Disorders = a child who's life is totally messed up. Would YOU want to be one?
Less children? For fucks sake. Are you fkm? With 7 bln ppl? Do you need more? Shall we then ban not only lgbt marriages but also sex? Also, masturbation, abortion, condoms, not having a straight GF / BF = less children. Shall we ban condoms and penalise for not having straight sex and children?
[DOUBLEPOST=1435761185][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was saying was that just because we live in 2015 doesn't mean that God's laws don't apply.

Only 1.2 billion people out of 7 + bln are christian. In the lives of 6 bln people no (christian) god lives in the 21 or whatever century. Do not try to dictate others how to live and whom to have sex with.
Also, there's no God's LAW if you look at the definition of "law". If you live in a demorcatic country, religios rules may only apply to those who freely want to abide by them.

Last edited:

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Quickly scrolled through this thread, and seeing how everyone here so blatantly gives his or her opinion about the matter i thought i'd do the same.

Normally i'm all up for freedom of speech, but this is just nuts. How retarded can a religion make you think and act.
You believers must be frightened, the government and the people against your so called God.
Man what a horrible time to be against gay people. Apocolypse now.

I can already feel my inner movie director thinking of new block busters.
Gay Outbreak!
Homo versus Humans

In all seriousness, any single one of you guys against gay marriage should think twice about what they're making such a big deal of. Why on earth do you think you have the right to decide how people live their lives.
Gay people exist, they are nice, they are fun, they are cool, and they are the exact same as all the rest of us, except for you haters. Go fucking deal with it.

Last edited:

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I can already feel my inner movie director thinking of new block busters.
Gay Outbreak!
Homo versus Humans
I'm pretty sure i've seen a couple of films with lesbians in them, but it's not the sort of film i want to write about on here.

Take

Flying Dutchman
|K3| Member
Now it's only a matter of time before the first radical christians starts blowing up gay weddings.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I'm not sure how the topic of inbreeding came up, but according to the bible it is a viable way to populate the earth. I mean when Noah could only bring 2 of every animal and his own family...

theGenius

|KKK|´s Dumbass
|K3| Member
how about this solution:

1. we let the homos live it up, party hard, marry and all that comes with it in this life.

2. you believers take comfort in that your almighty will deal out the suitable consequences in the next life.

3. and you homos will deal with those consequences when it happens;)

Last edited:

null

and void
|K3| Member
Since this thread has proven contentious, and spawned much discussion, I'd like to define something I hope we can all agree on: discussion.

What is the purpose of a discussion? Primarily, I'd say, it's to express our opinions on a particular topic. Secondarily, I'd say, it's to persuade others into sharing those opinions. The primary goal is easy enough to understand, but how does the secondary goal work? In my opinion, it works when we say something that another person comes to agree/can identify with.

But therein lies the rub: "persuade", or "comes to agree with." This suggests that, prior to the discussion, the opinion was _not_ a shared one. So in order for the secondary goal of a discussion to work, those taking part in it must be willing to critically examine their current opinions in light of the alternative opinions others are presenting.

Let me make immediately clear: that doesn't imply that your opinion has to change. In fact, if you find that your opinion on something does change after a single discussion, it's either because 1) it was an _abnormally_ good discussion, or 2) you had already been considering changing your opinion - the discussion was just what finally pushed you over the edge.

Seriously, critically, examining our own opinions when presented with alternatives - regardless of whether that examination causes us to modify our opinions or not - is, in my opinion, what it means to be a reasonable human being and, also in my opinion, implies a realization that one person can never have all of the right answers.

I'd like to stress that second bit: "one person can never have all of the right answers." Even with the help of _any_ external system of thought or belief, whether it be religion, spirituality, science, intuition or otherwise, one cannot have all the right answers. Different people arrive at different answers (via different methods, no less). It's _our_ duty to realize that sometimes our own answers are right, and sometimes the answers of others are right.

If you agree with what's defined above then, in my opinion, we can have a healthy discussion that will allow all who take part to learn and/or grow.

If you disagree with what's defined above then, in my opinion, we cannot have a healthy discussion and neither of us will be able to learn and/or grow.

I'm not insinuating that the course of conversation so far as been one or the other. Indeed, I think that we have seen both. What I'm asking is that, before engaging, we each honestly examine which side of the coin we're on and, if necessary, lurk until we are ready to have a discussion.

Since this post wasn't already long enough, I'll offer my own opinion.

Congratulations to all those people who may now _finally_ enter into an undisputable legal union with their significant other! YES! YES! YES!

That said, it's a shame that the government classifies legal unions as marriages. The term 'marriage' has a particular religious meaning, and under the current law the use of that term is not in accordance with its meaning. Unfortunately the government has placed many fundamental rights (property, medical, financial, custodial, etc.) under that term (and its doubtful that it will be changing any time soon).

In my opinion the government should have no religious affiliations. It should seek instead to establish a common framework of law that _all_ belief systems can act within. That means things like public order, federal programs, social programs and the rights of the citizenry and industry. Under such a framework, the gender identity of two consenting adults entering into a legal union is hardly relevant. The legal oath is the same regardless.

If the citizens would like to conduct a religious ceremony in addition to their legal oath, that is absolutely within their rights. Likewise, the religious group has equal right to deny ceremonies that it feels would violate their beliefs.

Now, it has been argued: if you allow homosexual union on the basis of equality, then you open the door for cousins or animals to marry.

I disagree with that opinion.

This is precisely why the government should be separate from the church. Earlier I said that the government's role is to establish a common framework of law that _all_ belief systems can act within. Through law, the government should enforce something like this: So long as one's beliefs do not cause unconsented injury to a sentient being [0], and so long as those sharing in your beliefs are themselves willing participants and fully capable of giving their consent, then you should be left in peace.

Under such a framework, cousins cannot enter into union because a) there is a law preventing it in the first place, and b) if they are heterosexual and have children, those children face an elevated risk of unconsented injury due to genetic abnormality. Under the framework humans also cannot marry animals since animals are not fully capable of giving consent (notice that this also applies to minors and those with cognitive disabilities - they can't fully consent). In fact, I think current U.S. law already behaves much like this framework.

From a broader perspective, you may notice that, at least in the case of cousins, the only true damage occurs if they sexually reproduce. The law prohibits their union, but I would agree that if they cannot reproduce, legally swear not to reproduce, or if genetics reach a point where it would not matter, there's no reason not to remove that particular law (they must still pass the full consent test).

That's against the beliefs of a religious system? It is not the role of _any_ religious system to police _everyone_. A religious system may police its own willing adherents in accordance with its established beliefs, but as I've stated universal policing (and judgement) is the government's perogative.

But how does the government decide? Democracy (in the U.S.). Anything less is authoritarianism. Coincidentally, this is _exactly_ what the U.S. was founded on.

It has also been argued that homosexual unions do not lead to children and are therefore invalid.

One of the religious purposes of a marriage may be to have children, but a legal union certainly has no requirement. A legal union serves only to provide certain rights to the two consenting individuals entering into that union.

On a more personal level, I'd suggest that the world hardly needs more human beings on it, and that, if one would like to raise a child, there are many, many, many in need of fostering. ANY qualified adult could foster a child in need, so again limiting unions based on gender identity hardly seems relevant.

If you've stuck with me this long: thank you!

[0] This could be a whole sub-discussion about what constitutes sentience, etc., but that's not a subject I'd like to discuss at present.

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
Since this thread has proven contentious, and spawned much discussion, I'd like to define something I hope we can all agree on: discussion.

What is the purpose of a discussion? Primarily, I'd say, it's to express our opinions on a particular topic. Secondarily, I'd say, it's to persuade others into sharing those opinions. The primary goal is easy enough to understand, but how does the secondary goal work? In my opinion, it works when we say something that another person comes to agree/can identify with.

But therein lies the rub: "persuade", or "comes to agree with." This suggests that, prior to the discussion, the opinion was _not_ a shared one. So in order for the secondary goal of a discussion to work, those taking part in it must be willing to critically examine their current opinions in light of the alternative opinions others are presenting.

Let me make immediately clear: that doesn't imply that your opinion has to change. In fact, if you find that your opinion on something does change after a single discussion, it's either because 1) it was an _abnormally_ good discussion, or 2) you had already been considering changing your opinion - the discussion was just what finally pushed you over the edge.

Seriously, critically, examining our own opinions when presented with alternatives - regardless of whether that examination causes us to modify our opinions or not - is, in my opinion, what it means to be a reasonable human being and, also in my opinion, implies a realization that one person can never have all of the right answers.

I'd like to stress that second bit: "one person can never have all of the right answers." Even with the help of _any_ external system of thought or belief, whether it be religion, spirituality, science, intuition or otherwise, one cannot have all the right answers. Different people arrive at different answers (via different methods, no less). It's _our_ duty to realize that sometimes our own answers are right, and sometimes the answers of others are right.

If you agree with what's defined above then, in my opinion, we can have a healthy discussion that will allow all who take part to learn and/or grow.

If you disagree with what's defined above then, in my opinion, we cannot have a healthy discussion and neither of us will be able to learn and/or grow.

I'm not insinuating that the course of conversation so far as been one or the other. Indeed, I think that we have seen both. What I'm asking is that, before engaging, we each honestly examine which side of the coin we're on and, if necessary, lurk until we are ready to have a discussion.

Congratulations to all those people who may now _finally_ enter into an undisputable legal union with their significant other! YES! YES! YES!

That said, it's a shame that the government classifies legal unions as marriages. The term 'marriage' has a particular religious meaning, and under the current law the use of that term is not in accordance with its meaning. Unfortunately the government has placed many fundamental rights (property, medical, financial, custodial, etc.) under that term (and its doubtful that it will be changing any time soon).

In my opinion the government should have no religious affiliations. It should seek instead to establish a common framework of law that _all_ belief systems can act within. That means things like public order, federal programs, social programs and the rights of the citizenry and industry. Under such a framework, the gender identity of two consenting adults entering into a legal union is hardly relevant. The legal oath is the same regardless.

If the citizens would like to conduct a religious ceremony in addition to their legal oath, that is absolutely within their rights. Likewise, the religious group has equal right to deny ceremonies that it feels would violate their beliefs.

Now, it has been argued: if you allow homosexual union on the basis of equality, then you open the door for cousins or animals to marry.

This is precisely why the government should be separate from the church. Earlier I said that the government's role is to establish a common framework of law that _all_ belief systems can act within. Through law, the government should enforce something like this: So long as one's beliefs do not cause unconsented injury to a sentient being [0], and so long as those sharing in your beliefs are themselves willing participants and fully capable of giving their consent, then you should be left in peace.

Under such a framework, cousins cannot enter into union because a) there is a law preventing it in the first place, and b) if they are heterosexual and have children, those children face an elevated risk of unconsented injury due to genetic abnormality. Under the framework humans also cannot marry animals since animals are not fully capable of giving consent (notice that this also applies to minors and those with cognitive disabilities - they can't fully consent). In fact, I think current U.S. law already behaves much like this framework.

From a broader perspective, you may notice that, at least in the case of cousins, the only true damage occurs if they sexually reproduce. The law prohibits their union, but I would agree that if they cannot reproduce, legally swear not to reproduce, or if genetics reach a point where it would not matter, there's no reason not to remove that particular law (they must still pass the full consent test).

That's against the beliefs of a religious system? It is not the role of _any_ religious system to police _everyone_. A religious system may police its own willing adherents in accordance with its established beliefs, but as I've stated universal policing (and judgement) is the government's perogative.

But how does the government decide? Democracy (in the U.S.). Anything less is authoritarianism. Coincidentally, this is _exactly_ what the U.S. was founded on.

It has also been argued that homosexual unions do not lead to children and are therefore invalid.

One of the religious purposes of a marriage may be to have children, but a legal union certainly has no requirement. A legal union serves only to provide certain rights to the two consenting individuals entering into that union.

On a more personal level, I'd suggest that the world hardly needs more human beings on it, and that, if one would like to raise a child, there are many, many, many in need of fostering. ANY qualified adult could foster a child in need, so again limiting unions based on gender identity hardly seems relevant.

[0] This could be a whole sub-discussion about what constitutes sentience, etc., but that's not a subject I'd like to discuss at present.

I need you to write one How-to Guide for me, badly. I'd call it a "How to write all Mike's thoughts calmly and in proper English" :D

Last edited:

jasmine

|K3|ONLY
Member of the Year
|K3| Member

It is a pity that you come so late in the thread. I understand your post, it presents a framework for fruitful discussion instead of confrontation of ideas (often receipt). Also to say that my Damage.inc translator knows to do good works when the original text is quality ( for yu D. ;) )
Thx Null

null

and void
|K3| Member
I wonder why the title says God bless the USA if God has nothing to do with America or marriage?

That's a great question. I'm not sure whether you're responding to my post, but let's discuss this.

First, how are you defining America? In my opinion, America is synonymous with the United States [0]; specifically to its lands and citizenry.

That's important: since the term 'America' refers to citizens, i.e. people, and since people have varying beliefs, some of which include belief in God, saying that the Christian God has nothing to do with America is false. (I don't include lands in this explanation since, in my opinion, lands cannot themselves hold beliefs (though landowners certainly can).)

By that same logic, if some American citizens share a belief in Thor, saying that Thor has nothing to do with America is also false. Since citizenship in the U.S. includes the right to vote (unless that right is legally revoked), and since the citizen members of _any_ belief system therefore may vote, and since the U.S. is a democratic society, what citizens believe has a direct impact on America.

Likewise, as I argued in my last post, I hope that we can agree the term 'marriage' has a specific religious meaning, and that it has unfortunately been assigned a certain, and separate, legal meaning. Since marriage has a religious meaning, saying that Christian God has nothing to do with marriage, as religiously defined, is also false.

So since I agree that the Christian God does have to do with both America and marriage, what's the distinction? I have two specific counterarguments:

1) Christianity does not have a monopoly on the term 'God'. Christianity uses the term 'God' to refer to the Christian God, which is fine, but by itself the term 'God' refers to either a single, monotheistic, superhuman entity, or a singular deity within a pantheon of belief (in which case it should be lowercase 'god').

Therefore, when Take says "God bless the USA", though that phrase has certain idiomatic associations, it is sufficiently ambiguous that you do not know _which_ God he is asking for blessings. To use my earlier example, he could be asking Thor (and, in that case, 'God' is being capitalized simply because it's the first word in the sentence).

2) There is a difference between the American people and the American government. Many gods have something to do with America if we're talking about its people, its citizenry. No gods have anything to do with American government, or with the legal institution of union.

This is because, as I argued in my last post, the government's role is to create a neutral framework of law that _all_ belief systems can operate within. Yes, that's hard considering the government is made up of people and, as we've already established, people are entitled to their beliefs. That's precisely why, when a duly elected official enters office, they take a legal _oath_ of office: to swear that they'll act neutrally; that they'll uphold the duties of that office in accordance with the law and not with whatever their _personal_ beliefs may be. That is the burden of being an elected official.

In conclusion, Thor bless the USA.

[0] Though there's an argument against that, since there is more than one continent that's American, and many countries claim territories within American continents.

Top Bottom