The Heli Issue Redeux

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Helicopters in server 1 can be an issue, mostly because it is free for all, and everyone wants to use theirs. In TDM the situation is quite different. Everyone on a team is united by the heli enemy, and they all benefit from theirs being called in, they also can all team up on the helicopter. What's more, if you have earned a helicopter, you can't earn any further killstreaks until you use it and get rid of it. Being that the server is free for all, it is quite hard to kill a helicopter, especially because of how a heli picks targets:

If you are:
-High Scoring
-Outside
-Have ever shot the helicopter and hit it

The helicopter's threat meter will go up and you will get shot, through a wall or w/e. We've all experienced this.

Furthermore, there are quite a few people in server 1 who are VERY good at calling in helis. They have that shit timed down to a science, making it almost impossible for the rest of the crowd to continue getting new killstreaks and call in their own helis (especially the noobs).

These people also tend to dominate the server. When the server is just starting to get populated, someone who is good can come along and run the server. The point I have noticed that people quit at is when the heli gets called and starts blasting people who are already losing.

So my proposition is this:
Due to the fact that it is free for all and there is a wide range of skill levels on the server, why not reduce the helicopter's health by 1/3? I realize that there are people who are quite good at shooting down helicopters, which really benefits everyone else. However, it's not something that everyone does... in fact almost no one does it and the server has been up for years. If the helicopter health was reduced by 1/3, it would be much easier for some single person to shoot the helicopter down with an assault rifle or smg.

This would clean the works up of the server, allow the noobs to continue getting killstreaks, and prevent some good player from running everyone off the server when there are like 9 people there.

What do ya think?

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
By the way, =F|A= hardcore servers have the helicopter health reduce far more than 1/3, and everyone seems to love it. No one cares really when their heli gets shot down, and people still forget to shoot it down. It takes about half a clip of ak on that server to take one down, and that is far more extreme a change than I am suggesting here.

I am only suggesting a 33% reduction of the helicopters health.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I'm down like Charlie Brown.

This reminds me of the time (many years ago), when I set the heli to have unlimited bullets but you can shoot it down with a few bullets :K

FoolsGold

Private First Class
|K3| Member
I believe that helicopters are easy to take down as is, It is only 2 mags from an AK to take it down and if two people are shooting it at the same time which is common on a largely populated server then it goes down in no time

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Not common. Doesn't happen. It takes 2 clips from an AK47 with stopping power. It takes each and every bullet.

Once you shoot at the helicopter, it targets you as the next target. It will shoot you, meaning those shooting it will have trouble doing all of the following:

-shooting every single bullet from an AK47 clip into the helicopter, regardless of where it is on the map
-fending off all the people spawning all the time, which is exponentially more difficult as the server gets more populated
-shooting the heli down with other guns that aren't superpowered like the ak47 or LMG's.
-shooting the heli down with silenced weapons.
-shooting the heli down if you are sniping or using a shotgun
-doing all or any of this while reloading before the helicopter shoots you

If this were a TDM server where the team was full of a bunch of people, and the heli was their mutual enemy, it would be a different story, and it IS a different story. Just spend time on a TDM server. In FFA, no one shoots it down, it hangs in the air forever, no one can call in their helis, and guys like Fotograf time calling in their helicopter down to the 10's of millliseconds.

Like I said, some people sacrifice their score to kill the helicopter. Sometimes you're in a good position to shoot it down. Sometimes there's someone on who is dedicated to using an RPG to shoot the shit down. But it's not super common, and the server isn't full of people who want to sacrifice their game to shoot helis down the whole time.

My final point is that if you're actually good, you'll just earn another heli. Don't sweat it.

And that's all I have to say about that. Even if it doesn't get changed, I'll be happy cuz the server is still the best in cod.

FoolsGold

Private First Class
|K3| Member
I'm not really that bothered, I prefer UAV than a helicopter any day. But in defense, you don't need stopping power to take it down in two mags(because I never use stopping power) and I have never seen anyone really be troubled by the fact that the helicopter is there, Broadcast is a largely indoor map and it's not that hard to stay out of sight.

MR.N00B!

Corporal
|K3| Member
I'm not really that bothered, I prefer UAV than a helicopter any day. But in defense, you don't need stopping power to take it down in two mags(because I never use stopping power) and I have never seen anyone really be troubled by the fact that the helicopter is there, Broadcast is a largely indoor map and it's not that hard to stay out of sight.
Except when you spawn outside and get absolutely destroyed before you get anywhere near a building.

At first when I clicked on this post I thought you wanted to remove helis completely and was a little worried. After reading a bit I actually agree.

P.S. You can call it in faster if you take out your sidearm

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
if you can still get a whole clip of ak47 (30 bullets) and take down a chopper it would work well. G3, M14, M4, M16, all snipers, Most smg's, pistols, shotguns...etc. will still not take it down in one whole clips.

Deluxx3

The Stig
|K3| Member
I'm only for it.
I don't get helis that often because most of the time I just less around there with the RPG so lately I have been trying to shoot them down until it kills me -.-
I also hate when I spawn on the roof and try to run to the stairs to go to the blue room, but it kills me almost every time it's there. And when I use my M4 to shoot such thing down, it take my whole bullets to do so, so I have to use bandolier -.- all in all I'm saying if the health of it is reduced than it just makes me happy as well as many others who play on S1

Last edited:

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
only reason i support is because the shitty score based targetting IW thought was a good idea.

half of its current hp would be fine.

SiloHunter

Condescending little prick
|K3| Moderator
It also targets based on weapon you are holding. LMGs are targeted faster than ARs, etc.
I approve. Maybe even half health, I don't know.

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I have noticed that if you are holding an RPG it shoots you faster, but have never noticed the LMG thing.

I have been in discussion with some people who were all like "yea I played this game since it came out and play promod and here are the 3 factors that add to heli threat meter" which is where my post came from.

From personal experience, I think there are more factors at play, like silo says.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
What I get from this thread:

TD wants to make it so AK-47s only take one mag to bring a chopper down, giving the AK-47 users a huge advantage.

@HIBred There could be a mod for that lol.

Top Bottom