MD Vote on Question 6 - Gay Marriage

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Modern Marriage is defined by the way it was written in the Bible because Europeans travelled the world, killed the natives, and established the presence of Catholicism everywhere.

I assure you, Hindu's marry, as well. So do the Chinese. So do Japanese. None of these are Christian Marriages, and in light of that, don't think it's right to force christianity on any society. Modern Marriage in our society is defined by the words in our constituion. We are changing those words.

So logically and morally there is really no way around it. It boils down to civil rights. Has nothing to do with religion.

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
I am a conservative Nick and I don't push any of my beliefs on anyone. So not all conservatives are like that. And imo the hammer swings both ways in the way that Liberals and Conservatives try to control the people to make their own agenda get through so don't jst because you happen to be a liberal say that conservatives are narrow minded and don't allow change. The change that the Liberals want is a bigger GOVT. And why? To control more. So how do you connect the word free with any kind of GOVT conservative or liberal. Even though our country is still free it is getting more and more regulated because of the people that think that because they believe it and want it everyone else should too.

And as far as a christian religious perspective Drew is right the Bible is clear on the fact that Marriage is between a man and a women and that it is as far as the Bible is concerned a sin to live in a homosexual relationship.

I totally agree with Mr. Houston if they want to get married let them its not like they aren't living together anyhow so whats the difference. I personally have no problem with them getting married legally, but as Jack said they couldn't be considered a christian married couple under the christian church because they are living out from Gods authority.

MelRose

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
Recruitment Team
I would vote in favor of a law like this. My viewpoint is simple: live and let live. One of my very best friends (Yes, I mean you Paige) is a lesbian and she deserves all the rights that I have because she is my equal. People should be able to marry and be as happy or unhappy with someone as they choose without others trying to police that in the name of religion or anything else. I believe in God very much so. What I think is this though, every single one of us make our own personal choices. We have our own relationship with God or whatever we choose to believe in that is personal to us, that cannot be touched by anyone else. When these choices are made, it is between you and your *insert whatever it is you believe in here*. No one else has the right to dictate to you what you should or shouldn't be able to do based on THEIR own personal relationships. What we have here is a legal issue that is being controlled by people's opinions. Law and religion are two separate things. Gays are required by law to do every thing that heterosexual people are, follow the same guidelines, etc.. therefore they should get the same rights including marriage.

Gay couples being able to get married period = law
Gay couples being able to get married in church and churches choosing not to wed them because of sexual orientation = religion

Last edited:

PwnSauce

Banned
I think the faster we move past this historically puritanical bigotry the more quickly we can socially evolve as a nation and solve more important problems.

Unfortunately many people are against public votes against such decisions so it usually doesn't turn out well if you're in favor of the initiative.

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Its not just about rights, its also about the LGBT activists getting their agenda across, like trying to remove gender roles from society starting with kids in Kindergarten. Its just another step towards a "utopia", a classless society where everyone owns everything and everyone is equal in every way and we will all live happily ever after. Eastern Europe tried this (while through other means) and it didn't work.

Once any of this gets passed, what other things are they going to try and pass under the guise of "equality"? The next thing is probably going to be "Hate Speech Laws". Christians have to tolerate your beliefs or we are hateful bigots but you don't have to respect us? (not that it has happened here on this board, but it happens everywhere else.)

I too am a Christian, and I don't hate gay people, but with the attitude that their community has, it makes it really hard to like some of them.

Last edited:

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I am a conservative Nick and I don't push any of my beliefs on anyone.
I phrased that in a very stupid way. I did not mean to attack conservatives. All I meant was that some of the recent conservatives in government (Bush and also a few of the republican candidates from this year's presidential election. Especially Rick Perry, who is a disgrace to America) tried to push their religion in order to gain support. I apologize if you think I was attacking all conservatives. I did not intend to sound like that.

Jack

|KKK|s Sexiest Voice
|K3| Member
Huh?

Where did i "dump" on anyone? All i did was present my opinion based on what was said. I don't see how i made a statement against anyone or anything that had to do with equal rights. Not sure what you're on about. I didn't trash anyone here, i didn't tell anyone anything was wrong, hence the words "i think" , meaning IN MY OPINION. Seems someone can't have an opinion anymore without people thinking it's some kind of personal attack or w/e . Would have been nice to have a thread here where people can present differing opinions without people getting offended or taking it personally.

I think you should re-read the last line in Moments post. All i did was disagree and give my opinion. I didn't attack anything or anyone.

To me it seemed like you were attacking, my mistake, of course you are allowed your opinion, im sorry.

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
These posts are quite blocky. I will reply in a manner to make things more easily readable:

1. Using "I think" or "In my opinion" does not have anything to do with dumping on or NOT dumping on people. Try this one out: "In my opinion, black people are dumber than white people."

2. This law has nothing to do with Christian marriages, does not attempt to, and specifically protects ANY Religious Organization's right to refuse to marry any couple, based on their specific religious beliefs. This point has of yet to be addressed by anyone here. I would recommend you all read the bill. The distinction can be found in the wording of the law, stating that it is "Civil Marriage" NOT "Religious Marriage." As we have separation of church and state here (a wonderful thing), I would think that stickin' "Civil" on the front of anything would immediately uninvolved any religious organization.

3. I will state this again: Marriage was not invented by Christianity. While Christian Marriage has it's own meanings and larger depth than the simple marriages (under law) being proposed here, the idea of marriage has been around in almost every single ancient civilization that has ever existed. Hardly any of these ancient civilizations practiced Christianity. In fact, the introduction of Christianity into these civilizations almost always ended in huge bloodshed and war.

To extrapolate on this: The marriage defined in our law is not related to Christianity because we separate church and state. We do this to prevent encroachment on the rights of citizens with different beliefs. So in this case, we are merely giving everyone who is a taxpaying adult the opportunity to seek a civil union (described a "CIVIL MARRIAGE"), regardless of sexual orientation or gender. This is important, because the definition in the law is CIVIL MARRIAGE. The reason CIVIL is there is to give an obvious and distinct separation from RELIGIOUS marriage.

The ONLY things this bill does are 1. Gays can go get a marriage license. 2. Churches do not have to perform marriages on any gays or lesbians, regardless of whether or not they have a marriage license.

So to sum up: Marriage is an english word, not defined by the bible, except in the instance that Christianity forced itself upon every single culture as the dominant social structure. Civil marriage is absolutely distinct from religious marriage. We are not changing the Webster's definition.

4. If you want to make a statement like this "Christians have to tolerate your beliefs or we're assholes, and you guys don't have to tolerate shit," I think you need to back that up with some kind of historical proof. Historically, it's actually been the other way around, and not only did people who didn't agree with Christians simply get called "asshole," many times they were harassed or killed. I say "were," but as you know, the real Ku Klux Klan still exists today, and it is not the only group preaching against others who disagree. And yes. The Ku Klux Klan is a Christian Based organization. Even though most clear-headed Christians would agree that they are some of the most despicable people on earth. In fact, a deaf gay woman was recently heavily discriminated against by her christian school that she worked for. She was gonna be fired, but she filed suit.

5. All of the arguments about classeless society and such were made during pretty much every Civil Rights movement in the 60's. "It's a slipper slope. First they can piss in the same bathrooms. Next they will marry our daughters" (eventually they did marry their daughters). "It's a slippery slope, first it's our daughters, then they'll have someone in congress!" (they do have someone in congress). The list goes on.

The fact is that the thing that keeps this from being a slippery slope is the very wording of the bill, which I suggest you read. Also, political activism will prevent new-world-order nut jobs from destroying our beautiful nation. You just have to go out, get informed, and be politically active.

6. Christians are not and have never been the victim of society historically. The majority of the USA is still Christian. Our pledge of allegiance still says "Under God" and I don't want it changed (i'm not a christian, but I believe in respecting our founding fathers and our nation). White christian males still make more than anyone else in this country and still have more power than anyone else. Notice how Obama is the first black president EVER? Notice how women still make less? Christianity is a decied patriarchal (The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, and also all that shit in leviticus) belief system, and it has permeated society. Almost all societies.

7. Still no one has addressed the issue that gay couples don't have the same rights as married straight couples today. 420 less rights of any importance (give or take 5). That's ridiculous. Why shouldn't gay life partners be protected under the law the way straight married couples are? It has NOTHING to do with religion and EVERYTHING to do with giving everyone in our society an equal voice and the same opportunities as everyone else. it's not about making everyone equal. If they waste their lives, that's their problem. If they commit crimes, they don't get the same rights everyone else has. Also their problem. The only thing is..... are we saying it's a crime to be gay?

Let me make this argument then, even though it's not really pertinent (read #3) : If marriage is only a christian institution, then why the fuck is it in our constitution? We are not a nation of only Christians. We have Jews, Atheists, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists...etc. EVERYTHING. Our Constitution is supposed to represent and protect EVERYONE in our society. I would gladly change it to Civil Union (just the words) instead of Civil Marriage, but that has been tried over 20 times, and has been shot down every time. I would like to say again for the 4th time that it's not simply "Marriage" but "Civil Marriage" that is being talked about here.

So I hope these points are addressed at some point. I've made several of them several times now, and it seems like people just keep on breezing over them.

- - - Updated - - -

And to steelhorse, the argument that liberals want bigger government? That is exactly like lumping all conservatives together.

Liberals, in general, are in favor of taking legislative ACTION to solve problems, where-as conservatives have historically taken the view that pretty much "the system will fix itself." So, when talking about legislative action, we are really talking about the people's power. I don't think many liberals would actually say they want to give the government more control. Do they want, sometimes, to take action and make regulations and government programs? Sure!

But if you want to argue about that, then you'd have to argue about whether or not government programs and regulations have been successful, and that really depends on the program, who fucked it over while it went through congress, whether the people in charge of it are smart or not..etc.

I can list over 50 government programs that have been huge successes right now off the top of my head. Does that make big government good? Not necessarily.

Idk, maybe I'm not a liberal then.

Also, keep in mind that the use of the word "liberal" as a negative name started basically in the McCarthy era, when we had the red scare, and one of the most conservative guys (mccarthy) used politics to gain enormous power. Also, looking even in the past 12 years, Bush gave himself extreme powers, while Obama rescinded most of those powers in his first year of office. Obama has also been able to get almost nothing done with congress, making a testament to the checks and balances our political system has in place. Doesn't seem to be a very powerful dude to me. Bush, however, was borderlining on fascist.

My point is that the idea that either liberals or conservatives are in some way inherently "anti-american" is based off immaturity and ignorance. Sometimes the liberal (progressive) route is better. Many times letting the system fix itself is the better route. Voting party line is EXACTLY what those guys who want power want. That way they can count their sheep.

Last edited:

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Or Marcus Aurelius, the Spanish inquisition, and even Iran...

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
K.

Maybe using a "never" is inaccurate. Exaggeration doesn't make for good argument.

But the point still stands. You'd have to be an idiot to cry about how the rights of christians have been infringed on so much in the past. Just ridiculous. And since their rights aren't being infringed upon at all in this case, I can't see why such arguments are even included here.

Comparing the situation here to the situation in Iran is absurd. Saying we are headed towards something resembling Iran is UTTERLY absurd. Especially when I really meant to say "our society" not societies in general. As you can probably guess from the rest of that statement, as it pertains to mostly the USA>

It's like when politicians get slammed for 100 things they do wrong, and then somehow all accusations become false because they disprove some of the language the accusors use in one of their accusations.

Last edited:

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
I never said we were heading towards being like Iran, I just mentioned them because they like to persecute anyone who isn't a muslim, especially Christians.

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
So.... what about the other 5000 words i typed?

I mean there is a certain point at which you can't legitimately just say "I just disagree, dude." There has to be a "because...."

And sorry I jumped to that conclusion about what you were saying. It's a stupid habit, and I know it makes me look like a dick. Sorry for being a dick.

PaigeBoo

|KKK|s wise lesbian
Former Krew Member
Okay, I was going to stay quiet but... I changed my mind.

This whole Christians get called hateful for not putting up with gay beliefs and everything, is absolute bull. I have never in my life seen a gay person walk up to someone they ASSUME to be Christian and say something against their religion. However, as a gay individual who could be described as looking the part, I have had SEVERAL Christians come up to me and inform me that I am a sin and I'm going to burn in hell. I've never seen someone in America beaten at school for being a Christian, I however have been slammed into lockers, kicked, had my glasses stolen, and been pushed around by groups of people (even in college mind you).

Now "Gay" pride isn't actually Gay Pride either. AND it's not Pride it's P.R.I.D.E. Now this is actually a group of people that are coming together against discrimination, it just so happens that being gay or transgendered, really gets you some of the worst discrimination around. Also, as a gay individual, P.R.I.D.E. is a place where I can be myself, where I don't have to worry about someone beating me just because I've fallen in love with a couple women in my life. I can be accepted dressing how I want, and not looked down upon, I'm sorry that you probably can't understand that but it's a big deal.

17 states actually have hate laws protecting gays, do you know how this affects people? It means you can actually go to jail for a hate crime if you beat a gay person instead of just going for assault. It also means that people, such as myself, can't be denied jobs solely based on our sexuality. Now that's in 17 states. In the other 33 states, it's perfectly legal to tell a person they can't have a job if you think they are gay, and you can say/do whatever the hell you want to them based on their sexuality so long as it doesn't fall under something such as assault. Bullshit in my opinion because you can't do that to straight people!

And as my final point, please try to remember that "gays" are actually gay people. You know, we aren't objects, we aren't figments of your imagination, no we are real. So when you say something like "gays shouldn't get married" Replace that word gay with a person. "Paige shouldn't be able to get married." Gays are second class citizens, "Paige is a second class citizen." I could do that for days but you get the point. We ARE PEOPLE. All I want is to be treated equally and be able to love. Why is that so difficult?

PaigeBoo

|KKK|s wise lesbian
Former Krew Member
Oh, and as far as "tolerating our beliefs" I'm pretty sure being gay isn't a set of beliefs. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not a religion. The only beliefs we have that need to be tolerated, are the beliefs that we have every right to love someone and express that love, and have every right to fair and equal treatment.

The gay agenda... Hmmm... So many things I can say on this... But... A picture is worth a thousand words so...
gayagenda.jpg

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
Paige, I see your point. I have an extreme disgust for Christians that look down on gays just for being different. Hell, Christians in the South specifically (elsewhere too) do the same thing with blacks. It pisses me off. I would honestly love to see equal treatment, and I hate the fact that people can't put religion behind them to embrace a gay as an individual, not a sin.

Top Bottom