New Gaming Laptop?

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
If you have a budget of 2k, get one of each.

You can build a pretty good desktop for $1000-1200 and probably get a pretty damn good laptop for $800-900.

Spending the full 2k or close on a laptop and passing on a desktop would be foolish , IMO.

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
exactly what damage said. I mean you're wasting a lot of extra money if you're getting a laptop just for lan parties... A desktop has a better price quality rating and is easily up-gradable. But then again you specifically said you want a laptop so I'm not going to tell you what to do.

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
Nikon... Telling me not to get a laptop becuz it's too heavy? Really? So it's better to get a new Desktop becuz that's not heavy at all. + Monitor. Totally not heavy :derp:

Get back to me when you find a 25kg laptop that you have to go twice to get it out to the car.

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Lol Rival I was just replying to masterclips comment on bringing a gaming laptop on a long trip. Very impractical.

And yes, I lift. :p

But yeah, with that money you can get a nice laptop and upgrade your desktop. What games do you plan on playing on a laptop?

Last edited:

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
I would say get a desktop, because you can always customize the specs and build it the way you want.

Can't do that with laptops though :B as far as I know.

you can upgrade laptops if you have the money to buy the right one in the first place but then parts are hard to find and not cheap

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
you can upgrade laptops if you have the money to buy the right one in the first place but then parts are hard to find and not cheap

That's true. It is a bit harder to find parts for laptops. I probably wouldn't be able to swap the old parts with the new parts myself either... Not a big deal though I know some people who prolly could do that.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
That's true. It is a bit harder to find parts for laptops. I probably wouldn't be able to swap the old parts with the new parts myself either... Not a big deal though I know some people who prolly could do that.

You can change the RAM and CPU on pretty much any laptop. I believe some laptops have physical graphics cards, but I have only seen that on Alienwares. Laptops simply aren't cut out for gaming. If you want to have a "gaming" laptop, you really have to go out of your way to get the right model and it's very expensive.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
I would say get a desktop, because you can always customize the specs and build it the way you want.

Can't do that with laptops though :B as far as I know.

yeah like Kessa's, caseless desktop is much more portable,more like a dressertop...

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
You can always do something like this. :K

briefcase-computer-design.jpg

computer_in_a_briefcase_1.jpg

036-finished-briefcase.jpg

Last edited:

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member

yes upgrading a laptop is the most boring job in the world if you have to change the GPU or CPU (its a complete strip down of the laptop just to get at any of them) the ram and hard drive/drives are easy enough to get to tho.

laptops were never really designed to be upgraded alot and for that reason you end up having to do alot of work just to get at bits because the laptop needs loads of case surface to make it strong enough to deal with it being moved around and knocked etc.

to be fair i do own a laptop (Panasonic Toughbook) but i only ever use that for working on car ECU's and car electrics just for the fact that the battery life when trying to game on a laptop is very poor when your stressing the GPU, CPU and RAM all at the same time.

Also mGPU's tend not to stay in date for more than a year and there for if you want to play the new games every year you need to look at buying a new laptop. You might find the mGPU will last two years depending on what games you play tho and how many FPS you want from it but when you compare the mGPU to a desktop GPu which can last 3 or 4 years plus its easy to see why people say buy a desktop over a gaming laptop.

also another issue you will have if you want to buy a gaming laptop now is the fact that AMD have very good mGPU's out at the moment (ive seen loads of people go for and tell people to go for AMD mGPU's over Nvidia) (so it would seem that AMD has found something its good at at last lol) but this leave you with the issue of you want an i series CPU but you also want the AMD mGPU so which one do you give in on. The only way that i can see you being able to get round this at the moment would be to wait and see what Nvidia's new mGPU's are like in Q2 of 2013

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
You can always do something like this. :K

briefcase-computer-design.jpg

computer_in_a_briefcase_1.jpg

036-finished-briefcase.jpg

That looks like a pretty cool setup. Would be pretty heavy to carry around I guess. And you'd have to be careful with the monitor so it doesn't break. :p

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
LOL! Who the heck would waste money on that!

I wonder how they keep the hardware cool in that thing.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
LOL! Who the heck would waste money on that!

I wonder how they keep the hardware cool in that thing.

direct die coolers maybe or maybe they just wait until the cpu melts throw the back which allows it extra cooling.

to be fair you could buy a laptop with the same or better specs for half that price and you only get the tablet for that money (id want the keyboard and all the extra's)

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Just when I came here to post the same video :eek:

About half the size of a normal desktop and it totally blows a laptop away.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Good for portability.

I have a mid tower and I move it from my dad's to my mom's house every 4 days. I still don't understand how this is too much work:p

You probably transport it via car. Rival, I think takes the bus.

As small as that is, he still has to lug around the monitor. Not sure if his friends would want to help him move it since they probably have to lug their own laptops around as well.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
I gotta admit, that looks pretty cool, but then it would feel like you're carrying around your PS3 or Xbox everywhere. If you want that just Wait till the Steam Box come out, much smaller.

Top Bottom