New Gaming Laptop?

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
Good evening Krew. I've thought about buying a new laptop for gaming.
You got any tips?

Budget: $2000

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I move my desktop from my dad's to my mom's every 4 days. You can't say it's too heavy!

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
If the only reason is carrying it around a few times a month i would definitely get a desktop. It's a bit more of a pain to move , but only takes a couple of minutes to unplug the cables etc. Not worth sacrificing what could be a much better and more powerful machine for gaming, IMO. With that budget you could get a great PC, huge monitor, 5.1 speakers etc.

Or just host the LAN parties at your house :w00t:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
If you already have a desktop and don't already have a laptop, I think it's about time to get one.

This is only for productivity reasons.

Having said that, I have no idea what you should get! I just think it's a good idea.

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
I'd say get a desktop because with that money you can build a crazy rig. Then you could sell your old rig and buy a decent laptop for travel with that money.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Yeah, dude, a "gaming laptop" would be freaking heavy with almost no battery life. Performance-to-money wise, a desktop would completely blow a laptop away.

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Everyone's telling you to get a Desktop instead, and you're still trying to hold on to your Laptop..

Get some anti-stubborn creme with the 2k you have. Few bottles should be enough. (Rub it violently inside your ears)

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
I can't take a desktop+24" Monitor on the bus.. Big PITA.

Take a taxi? lol. I know people who have done it before. You can always have a friend go with you to help.

Have you ever seen a gaming laptop? Some of those weigh just as much as a desktop.

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Everyone's telling you to get a Desktop instead, and you're still trying to hold on to your Laptop..

Get some anti-stubborn creme with the 2k you have. Few bottles should be enough. (Rub it violently inside your ears)

:lmao:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I can't take a desktop+24" Monitor on the bus.. Big PITA.

The power of a desktop will be worth the pain. The pain of significantly lower performance than a desktop will far outweigh the portability of a laptop. Alienware has gaming laptops but they are so expensive you might as well build a desktop, and it would still be more powerful for the same price.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Here is a laptop I use for gaming, I got it from my mom after she got it for her birthday but never used it so I took it up. Its an HP laptop running windows 8 but its pretty nice and im liking it so far. Currently installing all my games on it, for the price it may be way below your budget but its pretty decent.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C2N66UA

Its confirmed for being able to play Planetside 2, Far Cry 3, and Arma 2. Also despite popular belief windows 8 doesn't affect your gaming experience at all and is pretty handy, its pretty much windows 7 with a little extra. Any game that you can play on windows 7 you can play with 8. You don't even have to use the metro if you don't want to, but I recommend familiarizing yourself with it since it does have some cool features.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I like the idea of making a new rig and selling your old one for a laptop

You won't use the laptop for as much gaming as you would the desktop

Just get a laptop that can handle cod4-7, minecraft, and stuff like that.

Use the desktop for more requirement intensive shit.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Actually having a more intense laptop where you can have a 10 hour gaming session of Skyrim at the airport is pretty nice.

Top Bottom