Minecraft Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

igno121

Eskimo with Eskiho's
|K3| Member
Ok, so due to a couple things that have come up on the minecraft server here is a thread to post new rules, mods need, admin status if needed, and other helpful suggestion. To start the post here are the basics:

Whitelisting: users who want to play on the minecraft server will have to sign up, and only those players will be allowed on the server. Now we only have 10 slots on the server but currently i see about 7-8 very active members including myself that will play on the server so this allows our work to go unharmed in the game by griefers.

Basic mods: Nick has a really good knowledge of basic mods that the server needs, this won't alter the game to the point where its unplayable but it will help the game become more accessible.

Rules: A Specific forum post listing the rules on the server and possible rules of engagement if we want to start have pvp battles with each other, cause those can be fun at times. This leads me to another idea, if we get a mass amount of people who really want to play on the minecraft server then there may be a need to get more slots and then the rules are something to live by and the minecraft community that i've played with stick to them and abide by them.

Thats my 2cents on it so discuss, put your ideas down, Nick put your mods down that could really help out and such. GO! discuss!

Igno out

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
Not to hurt anyone's feelings but..maybe all of the masses of minecraft players can donate $5 each and rent a server that doesn't tax s1...I don't speak for Wally but he has a lot on his plate,it may serve us better to have the server separate..S1 was lagging really bad when ppl were on the minecraft server and ppl were leaving left and right because of it..plus a lot of you already know how to admin minecraft..just a thought..I am speaking for myself here..

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
As opposed to whitelisting, we could use the Permissions mod. It comes with some default user tiers: admin, regular, and guest. The default for guest restricts all block placing and removing so no random people could get on just to grief. Those who do want to stay, could sign up here and be upgraded to regular with standard permissions. This way, we could allow people to actually explore the server, and if they like it, they could sign up in order to stay. I used Permissions on my server and it is a lot easy to manage than whitelisting.

Good security/management mods will take up a bit more memory to run, so as it looked yesterday on S1, if we can, it may be a good idea to move it.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Bred's Idea was a good one. One of US renting a server would both help WaLLy out and get rid of CoD server lag. I'd be willing to donate $5 to get a seperate server running. Besides, WaLLy doesn't really have time for all this Minecraft admin-ing. Especially on his own.running a minecraft server takes much more dedication than a CoD server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Like I've said previously from the very beginning, NY was and still is a test location. If the server gave any issues to any of the current servers (mainly S1), it would have to get moved or I would have to upgrade the resources of the machine, that way it would benefit not only Minecraft but the rest of the servers as well.

I was also planning to take the server off of my plate as soon as I was able to get it to run as a service. Basically someone would be able to add the mods (or what have you) and be able to stop/start/restart the server whenever they make changes.

With that said, lets discuss our options:

1. Upgrade resources in NY.

2. Move our Minecraft world to our LA server.

3. Host the server on its own machine.

Either way, I don't mind having to pay for either. Just so long as the server gets used, I'm more than happy to support the extra costs (as long as it doesn't rape me :p).

PS. If I could add b3 to Minecraft, I'm fairly certain I can only do it with option 1 or 2. Option 3 will probably be another cost.

So what would you guys like?

igno121

Eskimo with Eskiho's
|K3| Member
Well i'm sure a couple of us wouldn't mind admining or be mods of the server to make sure such incidents don't happen, idk how to fix the server issues if moving will do anything or if someone here has a really decent computer with 16gigs of ram they could just host the server.

MelRose

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
Recruitment Team
I hope something is done soon. I want everyone to be able to play what they want and have fun but this lag on A1 is awful. A move to the LA servers would just put the strain there, correct? LA servers already have some decent lag as it is.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I hope something is done soon. I want everyone to be able to play what they want and have fun but this lag on A1 is awful. A move to the LA servers would just put the strain there, correct? LA servers already have some decent lag as it is.

That's right.

At the moment our specs on either location are:
1 HT CPU core
1gig RAM

I can upgrade either location to see if that helps. I just need to know collectively what most want to do.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
By the way, I had mentioned moving the server to LA because that location hardly gets used.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
That's right.

At the moment our specs on either location are:
1 HT CPU core
1gig RAM

I can upgrade either location to see if that helps. I just need to know collectively what most want to do.

More RAM would really just help server capacity; I don't really know if 1 core could handle Cod4 + Minecraft, especially with Minecraft's multi-thread support.

Is it just RAM that can be upgraded? The fact that it only has 1 core hints to me that support for multi-core cpu's would be very limited. But that just me XD

Last edited:

chack gore

|K3|'s Assasin
|K3| Member
Well i just want to know if we get mods and admins i would like to be one ....i play minecraft like everyday ...

Sent from my GT-S5570L using Tapatalk 2

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
I'd be fine with the server moved to LA. It's not that much of a difference with my ping.

PaigeBoo

|KKK|s wise lesbian
Former Krew Member
I fear moving the server to LA is going to cause more problems with the lag. As it is, while trying to get the servers going people come in and complain about the lag that's there. If NY is any indication of how this will affect the server, they will become unplayable. Though most people don't play on the LA servers much, Mel and I have been trying to populate them.

This would also have an impact on KTDs and Scrims. If the servers are lagging as bad as NY was, people won't show up to either since KTD server is also LA based.

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
This would also have an impact on KTDs and Scrims. If the servers are lagging as bad as NY was, people won't show up to either since KTD server is also LA based.

In some sense, I agree, but it's not like the Minecraft server will have 20 people on while a Throw Down is happening. They'd all be on the KTD server!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom