OSX Lion

Is Lion worth buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Yes i voted no on the poll... For people who love expose, don't buy it at all, never, till an update comes which fixes that, you need a fucking i5 atleast to smoothen the animations and the scrolling is fucked up also. This OS is only made for Macbooks.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I've never seen so much emotion out of Tito before :giggle:

I'd love to try it, but being the :loser: that i am, i use a PC.

HBeta

Master Sergeant
Exposé is gone :sadcry:

I've got no animation problems, but I can't say that Mission control is any good

PwnSauce

Banned
It's awesome. Faster, better security, tons of features. (Like peer to peer networking to share files)

Best feature is the "It's not windows" feature.

sweet

HBeta

Master Sergeant
Looks like this is going to be an expensive update, too

my old gpx-to-Photo-taging software isn't compatible, the new version is $49.95

file sharing via FTP is gone, too
there goes my carefree iPhone file sync

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Looks like this is going to be an expensive update, too

my old gpx-to-Photo-taging software isn't compatible, the new version is $49.95

file sharing via FTP is gone, too
there goes my carefree iPhone file sync

Jailbreak your iPhone for wireless syncing! :)

HBeta

Master Sergeant
Jailbreak your iPhone for wireless syncing! :)

It's about syncing some folders on my mac with some folder inside GoodReader on my iPhone.

One way is to use the (very good !!) sync feature of goodreader to access and sync with the folders on my mac. That requires ftp access though.
I was hoping to get sftp but they've droped it

One other option is to access my iPhone via WiFi (without jailbreak!) and have a sync program on my mac. But those progs are somewhat expensive.
Every free sync app i've tried didn't work properly

I could use dropbox, too
I've tried it and it works fine as long as I have a fast internet connection and dropbox is online. (It's a bit ridiculous to send my files across the atlantic and back all day)

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
So far, I'm loving just about every bit of it.

I had to buy the server version also ($49.99) for my Mac mini. Apple made it even easier to configure a server. Granted, I already have a bit of knowledge getting it up and running.

I just need to install either Parallels or VMWare Fusion so I can instal XP on it. That'll be tomorrow though, after I install SL and then Lion on my MBP. Yippie! :)

Exposé is gone :sadcry:

No, they just called it something else.

System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners

Hot corners is a button at the bottom left corner. :)

Yes i voted no on the poll... For people who love expose, don't buy it at all, never, till an update comes which fixes that, you need a fucking i5 atleast to smoothen the animations and the scrolling is fucked up also. This OS is only made for Macbooks.

See my above post.

and the scrolling/animation seems ok on my Mac mini which has a Core 2 Duo. :)

Last edited:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
Should be picking up a mini on fri. prob the i7 one if they have, it if not the i5 is upgradable no?
Comes w/lion :spin::spin:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
The i7 version of the mini is only on the server version.

and I'm downloading Lion for the 3rd time :giggle: now that I have my server configured, I'll save this one and have all future Lion installs run via netboot. :D

RikuX2

Second Lieutenant
Looks rather interesting.
I'm excited about them releasing a few new macbook air's as i was planning
to buy a macbook air for school, and now the old versions will be a lot cheaper!

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
Xcode4 is also a free download now for anyone interested in developing anything for mac

HBeta

Master Sergeant
No, they just called it something else.

System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners

I know what hot corners are :( I use one to activate the screensaver
Not to mention that I have swipe gestures (Lion swiping :rage: )

Snow Leopard's Exposé was a nice view of all open windows properly align on a grid.
On Lion the windows are more random spread out and they overlap sometimes :(
Especially the fast magnification of different windows using [space] is gone.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Here's some of the 250 new features:

full screen mode only with one monitor (watching movies on an external monitor is lame, who needs 24 inch anyway)
no ftp-server anymore (that's a feature b/c ftp is generally insecure)
restore application status (you wanna watch a video in quicktime player? you get last times videos, too)
no java included (non-apple non-automatic updates are FUN!!)
iCal looks like leather :)sadcry: did I mention that I'm a vegan)
TimeMachine does notify me that the last backup failed (that's b/c my backup drive is at home :rage: )
new version of perl (a.k.a. new version of a nice app needed => $$$)
display "all my files" (yes! I want to scroll through all my 5.786 pictures and 2.487 pdf documents, who needs folders anyway!)
export movies from quicktime player (export to another format is much better than simply saving a file)

... to be continued ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom