Free windows 10 upgrade?

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
People like me can't afford whatever headaches come along with a new OS. I work on my PC most of the day and can't afford to deal with a bunch of nonsense that may arise from a new OS. Every minute i might waste learning how to re-do something, possibly re-installing and configuring the tons of scripts i use for work purposes, possibly having to re-install my HIT database , etc. is going to cost me time, which costs me $$.

W7 might be a little slow and dated, but everything works, i can operate it smoothly and i can stay productive. If all i did on my PC was consume media, browse the net, etc. I'd have no problem upgrading, but as i said, i just can't take the risk that something goes wrong.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
time, which costs me $$
YWTI89G.jpg

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
So here's something then. I still don't have the windows icon in the taskbar in order to upgrade to windows 10. I've been to the Microsoft website and clicked on the reserve windows 10 button, but still nothing. The only reason i can think of this happening is because mine is an oem version of windows 7 (still legit though), can anyone shed any light on wether or not oems work differently than retail copies?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I have a similar problem on my laptop. It turns out OEM still gets upgraded, all OEM restrictions applying.
Microsoft said that if you have 7 SP1 or 8.1 and all updates but still have no GWX icon, then too many things about your system are outdated, like too many outdated OEM drivers or a piece of hardware. Good news is that the GWX icon will still appear, but not until the day of release.

Last edited:

jasmine

|K3|ONLY
Member of the Year
|K3| Member
If you don't have a genuine Windows, then a reserved copy is gonna go to :poop: after you upgrade. People who don't own an existing 7/8.1 license don't get the free upgrade. They have to pay regular Windows license prices: $119 for Home, $199 for Pro.

I don't see what there is to drastically relearn. The start menu looks a bit different and control panel was streamlined. Yeah, there are a bunch of new features but they don't get in your face like the start screen on 8. I don't see much, if any, of a learning curve for a 7 to 10 move. Truth is 7 is an outdated OS with expired mainstream support.

8.1 is sooooooo much faster than 7, and 10 is an improvement on top of that. Big features like DX12 don't even require new hardware so long as you have a DX11 GPU.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get 10. XD
not to contradict you, but my new pc (8.1) is even slower than the old I had to do something wrong ...

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
For those that haven't gotten the upgrade notification yet, you can just download the tool from here. Download the correct architecture for your PC, run it and let it do its thing.

I'm at progress 59%

Jana

Banana!
|K3|Super-Moderator
Recruitment Team
What happens to my programs when I upgrade? Like....is everything staying how it was and I just have a new windows version?

Nate

K3's Caribbean dude
|K3| Moderator
|K3| Media Team
Is there any confirmation on this working with non genuine windows somehow? im not genuine, but i got the notification and signed up

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
What happens to my programs when I upgrade? Like....is everything staying how it was and I just have a new windows version?
It gives you an option to keep your stuff or start anew.

Is there any confirmation on this working with non genuine windows somehow? im not genuine, but i got the notification and signed up
It'll work but it still won't be genuine.

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
Any thoughts on whether I should install now or wait for my ssd to get here on Thursday/Friday?

I don't know what I should do.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
today is supposed to break internet traffic records..imagine the load on microsoft servers

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I'm gonna hold fire for a bit, see what people think before i get mine, maybe wait til first service pack drops

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
To download the installer directly instead of waiting in line you can go to their website and download the media installer version.

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
What I’ve read about the update:

Everyone gets the same generic key, but the HWID (hardware ID) will be stored on Microsoft’s servers and used for activating the copy of Windows 10, thus the license is tied to your hardware and not transferable to another computer. So if you have a retail license for Windows 7 or 8.1, you won’t be getting a retail copy of Windows 10 with the free upgrade that you can transfer from hardware to hardware.

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
Any thoughts on whether I should install now or wait for my ssd to get here on Thursday/Friday?

I don't know what I should do.

I don't know what you should do either. I got a new SSDHD the day Windows 10 came out, and I tried hard to transfer my Windows 7 to it from my old HDD (in hope that it would offer me the free update on the new system).

Maybe it's because I also replaced everything else in the PC, but the only thing I was able to do was create a media tool and do a clean install of an unauthorized Windows 10 because I never received a valid key code. I ended up buying the OEM from Newegg, to install next week. Microsoft makes everything really complicated if you're trying to transfer Windows.

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
I'm loving Windows 10, OS X is still a bit more productive, but compared to 8, 10 rocks. Microsoft Edge browser is also super fast even compared to chrome.(Tried it on older laptops), comes with built in ad blocker and everything.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I'm still seeing ads using Edge. That's really the only reason why I'm still using Chrome.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
People like me can't afford whatever headaches come along with a new OS. I work on my PC most of the day and can't afford to deal with a bunch of nonsense that may arise from a new OS. Every minute i might waste learning how to re-do something, possibly re-installing and configuring the tons of scripts i use for work purposes, possibly having to re-install my HIT database , etc. is going to cost me time, which costs me $$.

W7 might be a little slow and dated, but everything works, i can operate it smoothly and i can stay productive. If all i did on my PC was consume media, browse the net, etc. I'd have no problem upgrading, but as i said, i just can't take the risk that something goes wrong.

Dee,

The majority of my Win 7 stuff (and by majority, I mean everything except for freaking Norton) works perfectly for W10.

Before upgrading, the W10 installer will give you a list of programs(or Apps, as they're calling them now) that do not or may not work on W10.

Everything is much faster and there is a multi-desktop function that I think helps A LOT with productivity. I actually have 10 desktops up right now for my web development, lol.

Top Bottom