Free windows 10 upgrade?

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
So the story is that genuine or not, all windows 7 and 8 users can download a free copy of win 10..free forever supposedly
Is it a trap? Is it legit? who's done it or plans to do it?
th

jk I may do it.. i dunno yet

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Forever? I read it was a one year free trial period.

Either way, i have no plans to get it/use it. Why mess with something that already works fine for me? Not worth all the potential headaches. Plus, i'd have to re-learn a bunch of crap, which would really tank my productivity for a while.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
If you have Win 7 or 8.1, the upgrade will be free as long as you do it within the first year it gets released. After that, the upgrade will cost money.

And once you've upgraded, it's yours to keep forever.

Can't say no to free stuff, I say. Especially knowing it's only gonna be free for only a certain period. For those that are on Windows 7, upgrade, get it for free and if you don't like it, just go back to 7.

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
windows is giving it away for free because no one upgrades to the latest windows because they don't want to pay the moneyso basicly Microsoft is trying to do like apple and get everyone using the latest operating system.

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
is there an option to downgrade to your original os if you don't like it? that's all I want to know.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
windows is giving it away for free because no one upgrades to the latest windows because they don't want to pay the moneyso basicly Microsoft is trying to do like apple and get everyone using the latest operating system.
It's actually to get people to use the Windows app store.

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
It's actually to get people to use the Windows app store.
Here's my source if you don't believe me lol http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-last-version-windows-ever/ First line is "Microsoft is sick of you not upgrading, and has a solution: Windows 10 will be the final “version” of Windows. Ever." Looking at the chart you will see there is more windows 7 users then windows 8. So now Windows 10 is coming out and they don't want a lower percentage then what Windows 8 had. Makes perfect sense to give out windows this time around for this exact reason.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I guess getting more people to use it will look better on them. But the app store will bring them a ton of money because of the mobile games you can get on your pc. Gotta love them microtransactions...

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
is there an option to downgrade to your original os if you don't like it? that's all I want to know.
You can always downgrade if you have Win 7/8 install disks. But there won't be an option to downgrade embedded into the OS. I really don't think any OS has that feature unless you're doing a system restore.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
one thing i have have heard is that support for win7 will be stopping altogether this year.. i have genuine on some machines of mine..I'm wondering how many times i'll have to dl it or if the non genuine machines are getting a limited version or something,idk theres a ton of articles on it already ...gonna be reading a lot, in any case the reserve means that over the next months until release microsoft will be loading files onto the machine in preparation for the release , non genuine copies will still be considered non genuine..i'm not sure what that exactly means ,lol..all my copies do not have the "non genuine " wording on the bottm of the screen so i guess im good to go

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
oh cool! I guess the call for me is to wait to see if it is some amazing upgrade from win 7 , a year is a long time to let other people be test subjects :K

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
If you don't have a genuine Windows, then a reserved copy is gonna go to :poop: after you upgrade. People who don't own an existing 7/8.1 license don't get the free upgrade. They have to pay regular Windows license prices: $119 for Home, $199 for Pro.

I don't see what there is to drastically relearn. The start menu looks a bit different and control panel was streamlined. Yeah, there are a bunch of new features but they don't get in your face like the start screen on 8. I don't see much, if any, of a learning curve for a 7 to 10 move. Truth is 7 is an outdated OS with expired mainstream support.

8.1 is sooooooo much faster than 7, and 10 is an improvement on top of that. Big features like DX12 don't even require new hardware so long as you have a DX11 GPU.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get 10. XD

Last edited:

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
any idea about support for large hdd's? Windows 7 does not like 4tb drives out of the box, and i wonder if ms will address that issue with windows 10..

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
any idea about support for large hdd's? Windows 7 does not like 4tb drives out of the box, and i wonder if ms will address that issue with windows 10..
I think that has to do with the file system/partition layout. AFAIK, the drive needs to be formatted as GPT instead of MBR.

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
So question. I've heard about all this stuff that once you go Windows 10, you can't go back, to say Windows 7. Can I make a new partition on my hard drive and use both OS whenever I want to?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
So question. I've heard about all this stuff that once you go Windows 10, you can't go back, to say Windows 7. Can I make a new partition on my hard drive and use both OS whenever I want to?
You can't go back the same way you can't downgrade any other OS. It just means you'd have to wipe 10 and replace it, or, yes, dual boot with another OS on another partition.

Honestly, I don't understand all the resistance to change. Windows 7 is already pretty dated, and it's actually pretty slow compared to 8.1/10.

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Honestly, I don't understand all the resistance to change. Windows 7 is already pretty dated, and it's actually pretty slow compared to 8.1/10.

Probably same mindset with Windows XP. Who can blame them though, 7 was the best one I've ever used.

Top Bottom