My Passion: Fly fishing - Long post :)

Hultsy

Corporal
|K3| Member
When my father was in High school he was obsessed with the outdoors. Sometimes skipping school to go to a local river to fish with his dog. Hours and hours would pass without a fish, but the realization that he was out in nature enjoying what this earth has to offer was all he was thinking about. As my father found my mother, established his own business, and got older and busier he didn’t have much time for fishing. But this did not distract him from making sure his son was going to enjoy the outdoors as much as he did. My father took me on many fishing trips to local streams and creeks. We would go fishing regularly until I got into middle school. This is when my father got really busy with his business and I had “actual work” I had to do. Not only did this put a lull in our fishing journeys, but also separated us in a way.

Not until the introduction of hunting into my life at the age of 11 was I hooked into outdoor activities. My father is more passionate about hunting than fishing, but I did not give up on getting him to go fishing with me. As I began to grow into my mid-teens I began fishing with my friends more often. This led to rarely being able to go fishing with my father. Unfortunately at that time, he was more wrapped up in his hunting trips that he was going on (Elk in Colorado and Montana, Antelope in Wyoming, Caribou in Canada, and local deer hunting). But all was not lost. My uncle chopper and my father would do a yearly trip to the Salmon River in Pulaski New York. I would always be pushed away from the trip with him because I would be in school when he went. And in my family school is always more important than anything else. So I would never get to go with him and my uncle. When I got to be 17 my father finally let me go with him up to the Salmon River. That is the trip I will never forget. The first time I was permitted to go to this magical place that I was never allowed to go to before. It had all changed. It was like my father realized that I reached a time in my life where I could finally do all the things that an adult could. It was a great thing to know that. But when we went up, we would use traditional spin casting techniques. Now at this time I knew that I fly fishing was a very effective fishing technique.

Before we go further, let me discuss how I learned of fly fishing. Every summer my family and I would go to a campground called Sun Valley Campsites. We had a seasonal campsite there, and the fishing in the area was phenomenal. Each season campsites in the surrounding area would be switched because people would move from one to the other. Well one year this man and his wife moved into a camp site that was fairly close to ours. I recognized him when I went fishing up at the very popular fishing hole at the campsite. He was using a pole that was very different from mine, and he was catching quite a few more fish than me. I didn’t quite understand how what he was using was so effective. And me being me, I didn’t ask him right away. We eventually became friends with him. His name is Ollie and he is from Rochester. He is a great guy, and not only did he get me interested in fly fishing, but he changed my life. Now before he told me about what he was doing, all I knew about fly fishing was that it was a very elitist activity. It is portrait as a sport that is very difficult and for old people. This connotation is very wrong. He began to show me how to fly fish after I got my own pole. This is when my life became forever changed.

Now back to Pulaski. When the Salmon are running, the do not bite. They are not hungry so they do not try to eat. They are simply going up to the hatchery to lay their eggs and die. Now this is a very difficult for fisherman. Because if you cannot get them to bite, what do you do? Well the technique used is snagging. Now I do not in any way promote snagging because it is against the law and morally wrong for any situation other than this. But this is how you have to catch the fish. Now some people in the area still use fly fishing techniques because it is more effective because of the way you can snag the fish (won’t go into details here). Anyhow, I did not really enjoy the way that we were catching fish because I really did not considering it to be true fishing. So the year after that I did not partake in the trip up to the Salmon River. But, when I joined college I saw that there was a fly fishing club. I jumped right into the action. I got very involved and began to learn as much as I could. Now this passion has taken over my life. I can’t go anywhere without seeing someone I know and talking about fly fishing. It’s not even a passion at this point. It’s an obsession. But anyhow, this club I am currently in is very active in the fishing world. We do community service work for hatcheries, stream clean ups, and much more. The club is so important to me that I will take over the Vice President position for this next semester. I hope to do great things for the fly fishing in the Syracuse Area. Now my father says that once he retires he will get back into fishing. And he even agreed to learn how to fly fish from myself because he can see how much fun I am having with the sport. Now that’s something new. You can teach an old dog new tricks :D. I am considering getting into competition fly fishing but I have yet to decide if I would like to take that route. Considering I have a hell of a lot yet to learn. But I hope you all enjoyed his and feel free to share your fishing stories and pictures below!

I'm just going to share a few images from today (3.2.14) and also some pictures from my father’s hunting trips. I was fishing butternut creek in the Syracuse NY area. I will continue to post to this thread with updates (which will include photos).

I hope this inspires some of you to go out and go enjoy the world in a different way. And maybe pick up fly fishing :D

This is from a trip my father took to New Zealand.
TTnFbkC.jpg

7hKyKgX.jpg

vdbsRBL.jpg

nKiuYkI.jpg

Pictures from today (3.2.14)
WksVX9e.jpg

zdsb41I.jpg
cliff to the vehicle

P6i6ahb.jpg

APEtxbU.jpg

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I love, and i mean LOVE steelhead fish. You ever catch those? I know literally nothing about fishing, although there is some great fishing i hear here in Oregon. I don't even know how to tie a hook on.

Sorry about the meme, i couldn't resist. Cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

7d0f5ebea502e7bc98bd8624c40f880dd326ae0752ffbc11318906241c27fcde.jpg

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Dude. Paragraphs.
Ideas separated.

Anyone who gives me shit for long posts at this point...... :smh:

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
Yo daddy must be a millionaire. I know what those hunting/fishing trips cost, lol. Been fly fishing before, didn't rlly get into it that much. Think its a northern thing.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Hurry up you friggin crazy. We can't read that shit.

Paragraphs. Indentation is a must when you have that much cool shit to say. We are waiting to read your cool stories man.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Well hultz I Know how you feel about multiple things.

First.. Indentation... as a super long poster, I know this is frustrating. For god KNOWS WHAT REASON... this forum won't let you indent your shit. It's dumb.

Now to move on. I read your whole post, and I loved it. I get where you are coming from. I like how you talked about the guy who snagged the fish and how you didn't like it. I like how you admire the outdoors. I do too.

Let me say that I find no place deeper and more revealing in the world than being by yourself out in the wilderness. I have been there by myself only a couple times. I love it. I seek it. It is one of my life goals to go out there and just be there, by myself, out in the great untouched. Props, man. Great thread!

Hultsy

Corporal
|K3| Member
@DamageINC I have been steelheading a few times up in the Pulaski region, I have yet to hook onto one but i hear they are an amazing fish to catch! IF i ever get a chance to land one of them, i will be sure to share pictures!

RagingiHop

Corporal
|K3| Member
The Salmon Run is fun we just gotta get on the good run (when they start Running Heavy) first not like this year sure it was fun but we missed out on the Coho this year, over the summer it's gonna be hella fun, i dont think im doing anything but fly fishing this year..

RagingiHop

Corporal
|K3| Member
it's a sea run Rainbow trout they fight better than any trout i guess, haven't hooked one and when you do you'll most likely catch a bigger one, they look so cool all sliver bright as it can ever be

RagingiHop

Corporal
|K3| Member
This was Last years catch for trout but then there's some pictures i can't find the area with the falls is @Hultsy 's Sun Valley Camp ground and he wasn't there that weekend (which was the first Weekend) that we could legally take trout and he was off on a cruise so i went with our friend (His Neighbor) caught a good amount, as you could see down in the cooler. i was fly fishing, he was using a spinning combo, but i tell you what i got hooked into trout fishing when i picked up a fly pole, was always into bass fishing which i am still into now just not as much. but there's some pictures of myself and @Hultsy our first year Salmon Fishing. and 2013 as well just Hultsy never caught one.. (My Fault for picking up 8lb leader lel) and the last picture is the bear that i harvested this year with my bow. but like Hultsy Said it takes motivation and the right patience to do this, and if you can do that you'll be hooked for life
7hX3M.jpg
7hX6g.jpg
7hX8P.jpg
7hXay.jpg
7hXdf.jpg
7hXeC.jpg
7hXgC.jpg
7hXiw.jpg
7hXk0.jpg
7hXnN.jpg

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
What I really don't understand and hate to see is people killing defensless and innocent animals for fun and to take a photo and then share it ("look, I'm so cool, I killed an animal who was eating grass 100 meters away and didn't even try to run with my gun which I have my beloved right to bare under my beloved 2nd Amendment).
Fishing is okay.
Protecting yourself is okay.
Hunting if you are about to die of hunger is okay.
But if you want to have some fun, go play paintaball or football.
If paintball is not enough adrenaline, go slap a police officer in the face and see who wins.
I don't even understand why hunting is still legal.
I wholeheartedly whish that every single hunter who is low enough to shoot defensless creatures enjoing their lives is killed by a lion and his flash is eaten by jackals.
Take care.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
What I really don't understand and hate to see is people killing defensless and innocent animals for fun and to take a photo and then share it ("look, I'm so cool, I killed an animal who was eating grass 100 meters away and didn't even try to run with my gun which I have my beloved right to bare under my beloved 2nd Amendment).
Fishing is okay.
Protecting yourself is okay.
Hunting if you are about to die of hunger is okay.
But if you want to have some fun, go play paintaball or football.
If paintball is not enough adrenaline, go slap a police officer in the face and see who wins.
I don't even understand why hunting is still legal.
I wholeheartedly whish that every single hunter who is low enough to shoot defensless creatures enjoing their lives is killed by a lion and his flash is eaten by jackals.
Take care.
You know that people eat bear, elk, antelope, deer, etc.

But I do agree with you when it comes to stuff like big game hunting in Africa if the hunted animal doesn't go towards feeding people.

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
You know that people eat bear, elk, antelope, deer, etc.

But I do agree with you when it comes to stuff like big game hunting in Africa if the hunted animal doesn't go towards feeding people.
1. All those deers, cows and whatever else we eat was born to be food.
2. They are killed at once and normally don't feel pain, unlike when someone shoots them in the stomach.
3. They are killed to let people live and not for f sake of taking photos / having fun.

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
1. All those deers, cows and whatever else we eat was born to be food.
2. They are killed at once and normally don't feel pain, unlike when someone shoots them in the stomach.
3. They are killed to let people live and not for f sake of taking photos / having fun.
If people don't hunt/fish, the population of that species gets weaker because they are competing for a proportionally smaller food supply. When you don't hunt/fish, the population has a very hard time finding food and many of them die from disease and starvation rendering an unhealthy population.

Keeping a strong species is good for the animals because if people hunt recreationally, they want to have a healthy target. I know that a lot of people, when they hunt, take the meat and either keep it for themselves or donate it to a food distribution center for those less fortunate. With fishing, I normally throw my fish back, unless I'm having a fish fry, in which case everything I catch, I eat.

Essentially, without hunting and fishing, the overall health of the game species goes down. I don't like it when people hunt purely for sport, but that doesn't happen much as far as I know.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I would wholeheartedly argue that the lives of those animals that we breed specifically to kill is much much worse than those we hunt.

I also think that if you kill it, you'd damn well better eat it and use everything you can from it.

@The Moment plenty of people hunt for pure sport. Rich bitches with too much time.

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
I would wholeheartedly argue that the lives of those animals that we breed specifically to kill is much much worse than those we hunt.

I also think that if you kill it, you'd damn well better eat it and use everything you can from it.

@The Moment plenty of people hunt for pure sport. Rich bitches with too much time.
I know that. I think it's better if they don't, but I'm trying to make the point that not everyone hunts for pure sport. It's silly to not eat what you kill. Just simply a waste of resources.

Top Bottom