What is your career?

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
I am nearing that point in my life where I need to figure out what I may want to do as a career, so might as well get started a little early. I initially though I would like to do into the medical field as a pharmacist, but that is a lot of work. Now, I am very interested in possibly studying Information Systems Management, or joining the military, or becoming a psychologist. In other words, I'm not quite sure about anything.

Therefore, use this thread to talk about your career. Tell me about why you love/hate it, what you do, and any other additional information. Try to convince me to do what you do. It will be fun! I know there is quite a few adults or college-aged people as part of the Krew community, so feel free to respond no matter what situation you are in...everything helps!

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Electrical engineering, or something to do with science. I'm probably best at biology, chemistry and then physics (**** math). I would also love to pick up a trade skill, but my schedule doesn't permit it so I will have to find another way. Maybe you can think about trying a trade skill class if your school offers it. Right now in Alberta, Canada, we have oil sands that require a lot of trade workers, such as welder, machinist and heavy machinery mechanics. Be warn though, it's a tough job that pays accordingly, what with the long hours and piss freezing cold of the prairie.

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
I'll hopefully be a truck driver in 1,5 years when I graduate High School.
"3 years to become a truck driver?!"
No, the first year I was taking mechanic courses. The second and third are to become a truck driver. Which, believe it or not, has a lot more to it than driving. The business itself has a lot to it. It's the most important business in the world, if you really think about it.

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I gave up a career in computer maintainence 6 months ago to be come a carer for my special needs children (4 autistic, 1 with type 1 diabetes on top of that). Essentially, i'm a full time father. Best.Job.Ever

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
My passion is in computer security and forensics. I am doing a Masters degree in Computer Security. I wish to do a career in this field when I graduate. I chose this route because I have always had a passion in computers and policing/investigating.. so when I saw a degree at college titled Forensic Computer Science I took it! I didn't know I wanted to do this as a career at the time, i just wanted to learn more about it! Doing something that I enjoyed multiplied my enthusiasm for the field. And here I am. It all came in steps.. it's not like a light bulb went off in my head saying "this is what i wanna do" it all happens in time.

My advice would be to take one of your interests (ONE AT A TIME), and RESEARCH it. Look through the descriptions.. the educational routes/jobs you could get etc.. and ask yourself.. Does this interest me?

Main point? Follow what you enjoy. Not what you think you should do.

Good luck bro.

Finch

|KKK|'s Epic Chef
|K3| Member
Graduated from High School in Germany, worked and lived in the US, studied Chemical Engineering and now Computer Science in Germany and I work at Starbucks :D
I always thought I was gonna be an astronaut....

MR.N00B!

Corporal
|K3| Member
I am nearing that point in my life where I need to figure out what I may want to do as a career, so might as well get started a little early. I initially though I would like to do into the medical field as a pharmacist, but that is a lot of work. Now, I am very interested in possibly studying Information Systems Management, or joining the military, or becoming a psychologist. In other words, I'm not quite sure about anything.

Therefore, use this thread to talk about your career. Tell me about why you love/hate it, what you do, and any other additional information. Try to convince me to do what you do. It will be fun! I know there is quite a few adults or college-aged people as part of the Krew community, so feel free to respond no matter what situation you are in...everything helps!

If it was easy everyone would do it. Never give up dude.

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Video Game Design/Development. If your a lover of video games, you might wanna try it! It's a ton of fun! It's alot of hard work though. If you dont know any computer languages, its a bit of a climb. But put in the effort and the passion and it might be the most fun you'll have working!

p.s. If you actually wanna consider it, I'd recommend downloading GameMaker software, which has a drag'n'drop system so you dont need to code to build games, but it allows you to use it's source "GML" (GameMakerLanguage) code which is a nice way to start it (its how I started coding). You can get a free version on their website

Above all though, DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!! If you dont know what you wanna do, try this: take a piece of paper, and just write down all the things you love in life. Your games, your highschool football team, nature, your significant other, your favorite movie, anything and everything you love in life and just look at it. Think about it and somewhere hidden in that list is probably something you'd love doing for a career. When your working on something you love, it's so much easier to put in the man-hours and years of effort and patience.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I do music. I studied for years to be a player. It could have happened, but I would have had to dedicated every waking moment to being a player, which isn't happening in my life. You would be surprised to know how much time actual musicians put into their craft. The good ones.... the really good ones..... don't have time to play games.

I also ran into the reality of what it means to be a -WORKING- musician. I went to a music school where there was a lot of talent, but more often than not, the people were just pop singer/songwriters. Or they were people so obsessed with a single style of music (for instance, someone obsessed with Yngwie Malmsteen) that they ended up just sucking at music as a whole.

So I abandoned the idea of being a completely rounded amazing player. Couldn't do it. I have seen a couple (only a few) of my friends actually start to achieve this. They are pretty sick. I could not :( but I moved on.

Now I still do music. However, I study more from a production standpoint. Being a producer doesn't mean screwing around in ableton and massive making dubstep and having crazy light shows behind you. Those guys aren't actual producers.

What I aim to do now is help the community I live in promote and produce new music from talented artists starting out. So, this means I'll have to work on projects I don't really like, such as those singer songwriter people who basically throw all the work on other people. Taking a melody or some lyrics and arranging an actual tune and getting the studio musicians to come record. Make beats in a day for some dude who wants them within 24 hours for his "rap album." Master a rough mix from someone with a home studio. Record albums...etc. That's the engineer aspect of working in a studio.

Aside from that, I plan on managing a studio. That's my career goal. I will be finding out more and more what goes into that, aside from the obvious, as I go along. My artistic goal is to actually use this studio to promote and produce music from around my area made by real musicians who have a real passion and dedication to the music and to the community.

It's very interesting to see some of the cool stuff you guys are doing, or plan to do. Sometimes it makes me a little jealous to see guys like you all with grand plans that pan out. But more than that, it's cool to see you all doing stuff that is really cool and that you are proud of.

Ethan, I was also very into psychology during the end of highschool, and I did a lot of my own research into the field. Good, smart psychologists are hard to come by, just like good, smart musicians in the music community. The people I have seen enter that field for the right reasons seem to add to the ''good, smart" category more than not. I think it would be cool for you to do something like that.

I also think you would be a good teacher. Especially in the highschool/middle school level. Only because I can see you identifying with the people who need help, and really being invested in getting that help to them.

Also - Good teachers are, in my opinion, some of the most important people in any society. Right up there next to good doctors, firefighters, peace activists...etc. I respect a person who is genuinely dedicated to being a good teacher. From my experience with you, you could be a genuinely good teacher.

Just my thoughts.

Gage

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
I'm studying Psychology / Criminal Justice at college right now but I'm joining the military after college to pay for graduate school in the future.

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
Working my way up through the med-field. Hoping to end up working as a Nurse Practitioner. Job security if huge for me and right now there are hospitals (the baptist system for example) that will pay for your education if you work for them for awhile after you get out of school and you are guaranteed a job when you come out. I really enjoy what i do and especially like that i'm able to work in the field while moving up.

I totally agree with Storky on do what you like. If you don't enjoy your job you will have a lot of trouble in the future. Huge promoter of following your dreams no matter what they are, but you have got to want it. Good luck Ethan, it'll come to ya bro :)

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
My friend is getting the same treatment from the company she works for, and just graduated, and is taking mucho extra classes and training, all paid for by her company. I must say, this is a sweet deal. Also, don't you go to foreign countries and do volunteer work????

Definitely commendable. And you get to see the world, too, right?

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
Also, don't you go to foreign countries and do volunteer work????
Definitely commendable. And you get to see the world, too, right?

Yes. Possibly going in march to do a med-team in Haiti. I mostly go to places that people "don't" want to visit. However those are the places that i enjoy visiting and helping the less fortunate. Now there are lots of traveling nurses jobs right now as well. Those guys all they do is find a hospital that's understaffed (almost every hospital in the nation right now) and fill in until they can find someone more permanent. Why would you want to do that? You get to visit just about any state you want and you are getting paid overtime the whole time. That's about 60-70 bucks an hour. So you'll pull in well over 100K/yr and you may work 6 months out of that year. I hope to do that after i get my RN for a little while. All the while you can have a positive impact on someone's life and make them smile. That's what i live for!

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Yes. Possibly going in march to do a med-team in Haiti. I mostly go to places that people "don't" want to visit.

I was mostly just talkin bout places that are very different from your own. Also, some big times in the woods recently.

I personally agree and think that you are right, and I think that you going to neglected parts of the earth to give yourself to making their community better is one of the most awesome things a person can do, for the rest of the world and yourself.

Went to china when I was in highschool and it made me want to go to completely different places.

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
Chris, have you ever thought of writing a novel?
I think you could do it.
Music is a great career if you know what you're doing and know the right people to get you started.
Justin Bieber started out as a video on YouTube. Sure, he has a lot of haters and have been a total douche as of late but that's what being famous can do to you.

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Commercial Airline Pilot. Ever since I was a child, nothing has been more thrilling to me than flying, especially takeoff. Just looking out that window and seeing the earth from 35,000 feet is simply breathtaking and amazing. (This is what I'm talking about! Linky Linky Linky) The only place to see such majestic sights is from the best office in the world. ;) IMO, the only human accomplishment greater than flight is space travel. Becoming an airline pilot is no easy task, mainly because of the amount of money that is needed to complete all levels of flight training. (We are talking about close to $100,000 or more) Most pilots say not to expect any job flying for a main line carrier until you are at least 30, If you are younger, you will end up flying with the regionals (not very good conditions.) One way to bypass the regionals is to join the Military and fly with an airline after them. There is a 10 year minimum commitment for those who want to be pilots. I have thought a lot about joining the Air Force but I have decided not to, at least not for now.

If for some reason becoming a pilot does not work out, then I have a couple fall back career options. One of them would be 3D animation. (Here are some examples of my 3D modelling. #1 #2 #3 #4. 1 and 2 are things I am making for Flight Simulator) and then I also have photography and video production that I could do as well. The most important thing is that all of these are things that I enjoy doing, and I do not get bored by them easily. If you are looking for a career, don't just look for a fat paycheck, otherwise you will probably just end up downright miserable. Make your living off of something you love doing.

Last edited:

SiloHunter

Condescending little prick
|K3| Moderator
My dad recently got his pilot's license, just as a hobby. He worked his butt off just to be able to fly private props. He says that to become a pilot on big flights and get decent wages you have to have tons on tons of hours. He is an anesthesiologist.

For me, I'm at the same place as you Ethan. Except, I think I have a slightly better idea of what I want to do. My heart is set on math and physics. Some sort of engineering, probably computer. I love just learning about math, physics and quantum/theoretical physics. Maybe chemical or the other major field I am interested in is biomedical (breakthroughs in medical technology). I will do NROTC (for foreigns, it is a problem where the military pays for your schooling and then you serve a certain number of years). It works for me because I feel a duty to serve in the marines plus college is not cheap.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
My dad recently got his pilot's license, just as a hobby. He worked his butt off just to be able to fly private props. He says that to become a pilot on big flights and get decent wages you have to have tons on tons of hours. He is an anesthesiologist.

For me, I'm at the same place as you Ethan. Except, I think I have a slightly better idea of what I want to do. My heart is set on math and physics. Some sort of engineering, probably computer. I love just learning about math, physics and quantum/theoretical physics. Maybe chemical or the other major field I am interested in is biomedical (breakthroughs in medical technology). I will do NROTC (for foreigns, it is a problem where the military pays for your schooling and then you serve a certain number of years). It works for me because I feel a duty to serve in the marines plus college is not cheap.
Quantom computing = mouth watering *salivates*

Top Bottom