Guitar Ideas (HELP!)

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Hey everyone! I just recently decided to learn how to play the guitar, but I need your help. I have no idea what to look for in a guitar. I pretty much know that I want an acoustic guitar with nylon strings. My teacher said I should get an acoustic-electric, but I don't really see myself playing an electric guitar.

Anyways, if you have any suggestions on what brand I should get or if there is a certain guitar that's really awesome, please let me know! (Oh, and since it's my first guitar, it shouldn't be to pricey. :p)

Thanks a bunch,
~Link

18470-chibi-gif-guitar-kagamine_len-solo-vocaloid.gif

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
That second one is dope. I'm gonna ask my dad and see how much he's willing to spend. :3 Thanks Korea!

Keep sending in more suggestions, I want to have a good amount to choose from. XD

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Why are you wanting to start with a classical guitar? They have wider necks and would be harder to learn on, IMO.

Also, an Acoustic-electric isn't an electric guitar. It's just an acoustic that can be plugged into an amp and maybe has some onboard EQ.

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
@ Damage Err, well. I'm going to be going to college and I can't really bring an amp to the dorms and play XD. And I prefer the sound of a classical guitar. I do like rock and stuff, but I feel i'd have more fun with an acoustic guitar. *Shrugs* Just my opinion at the moment, I could be wrong. :p

And if I may ask, what is EQ? o:

ponyboy

|KKK|'s Pony
|K3| Member
um link i play guitar and i would recommend starting with a acoustic guitar not a classical. Acoustic guitar is way easier to play and the transition from acoustic to electric will be smoother then classical to electric. I would recommend getting a acoustic/electric they don't sound like an electric but some have a eq (equalizer, means you can kinda change the sound. bass, high, mids etc.) and some have a built in tuner which can be super useful. And what kind of guitar you want depends on what you will be playing. classical = better for fingerpicking, more bassy (for songs that require fingerpicking.) acoustic = better for rhythm, sound is a little crisper and more songs are played on this guitar. If you can get a guitar with a truss rod go for it. truss rods really help if your the neck of the guitar go out of shape. I would highly recommend going to a guitar shop and asking whats good, try some guitars out. nothing is worse then having a guitar that doesn't fit you.

if you have any questions ask me.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Don't get a classical confused with an acoustic, they are quite different. I don't think noise in a dorm would be an issue XD

An acoustic/electric can be played either way. It doesn't need to be plugged in.

I have a classical as well but found it much harder to play.

Do they even sell guitars without a truss rod? I would think all guitars would need a way to adjust the neck angle.

I disagree though about the transition. Going from a classical to a normal neck would seem easier to me. The steel strings might be harder on your fingers at first.

I'd suggest going to guitarcenter and playing each one to get a feel for the differences.

Last edited:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Ah ok, I always thought that an acoustic was a classical guitar. XD Sorry about my ignorance. :p

@Ponyboy Thanks a bunch for the clarifications. XD Is there a certain guitar that you could recommend for a guy who's just starting out? I don't really want anything to pricey, and I decided on either a straight up acoustic, or an acoustic-electric.

Last edited:

MR.N00B!

Corporal
|K3| Member
You can use headphones on most amps can't you? ( I know you can on mine) So noise shouldn't really be an issue.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Bambi :suspicious: XD

I should have clarified.

A classical guitar is mostly meant to be finger picked and used for classical style music. They have wider necks and use nylon strings.

Acoustics have steel strings, much thinner necks and can be used for all types of music.

The first things i would recommend learning are how to tune , how to string the guitar and how to do some basic maintenance. You'll probably want to get a new set of strings and change out the ones it comes with. Strings come in different gauges. You probably want a lighter gauge so they aren't so hard on your fingers. At first, you can probably just ask a salesman @ the guitar shop what strings he'd recommend. They can probably give you a quick tutorial and change them for you for a small fee.

Win - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-V70CE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102567492-i1150613.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD110-CE-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Guitar-H70159-i1709808.gc

ponyboy

|KKK|'s Pony
|K3| Member
Damage the action (the space from the strings to the neck) on a classical is higher then an acoustic or an electric. doing barchords on a classical is a pain because the action is so high.

electric and acoustic guitars have a very low action = easier to play. better transition to electric if you ask me. Since I've been playing classical for so long on a wide neck its hard for me to go to acoustic because the spacing between the strings are smaller, the neck on the acoustic is like tiny for me.

bambi??? :un:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
*Ponyboy -Head desk- sorry, was reading a post by him at the same time as I commented. :/

Oh and can you get Nylon strings on an acoustic or is that bad? o:
@Damage that first one is really nice. O.O I like that black. :3

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Can you? Yes.

Would i recommend it? NO.

The necks are made for the tensions of steel strings, not nylon. It might work for a short period of time with a truss rod adjustment, but for any length of time it would probably do a lot of damage to the neck and warp it.

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Ah okay, gotcha.

And Korea just told me I should mention that i'm left handed. (I'd strum with my left hand, at least I think I would. XD)
That apparently is a big deal... O.O

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Left handed guitars are much more difficult to find in quantity and more expensive.

I'm left handed too, but play right. Might want to give that a try.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
:lmao: not always , i'm left handed but play guitar regular but i do have a Koa Martin for sale if you got 4 grand to spend XD

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Wow...couldn't I technically just flip a right handed guitar over? XD

Top Bottom