Android or iOS

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
Ok so i've been on my parents cell phone plan since i started and i'm thinking i'm wanting to get on my own plan. So i though who better to ask about these things than my very own tech guys here in the Krew.

So i'm going to stick with my parents carrier being Sprint, but my question is what phone do y'all think is the best kind. I have never had a smart phone in my life and I think its time to make that huge step for Steel and get one. So folks what should i get? Pls keep the tech talk down to a retarded level btw thx :)

Also i don't want to spend much more than a hundred bucks if i can help it. Unless someone posts a phone that just blows all others out of the water.

Last edited:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Android.

Why?

You actually have the freedom to choose a phone that suits you, not the you-take-what-we-give-you, cookie-cutter model phone that is the iPhone. There are plenty of decent, inexpensive Android phones out there, just make sure the screen has a glass cover (pushing on the screen doesn't cause rainbows to fly across the screen XD and it makes a plasticky sound when you tap on it with your fingernail).

Last edited:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
let the phone wars begin!

ios if you want simple,easy to use, stable..

android if you want to be more of a tweaker..

i am extremely happy with my iphone,the support is waaay more accessible and awesome when needed ,which is not often ..i dunno but i don't use my phone for downloading movies or all that stuff,just basic stuff but i do have it jailbroken so my mobile hotspot was 18 bucks for life...messaging is hella cheap..my bill is around 70 a month on the most basic plan..plus i dont like huge phones if i want to watch videos i use my laptop. Reliability is the key for me..
I did have an android...i like the ipwn much better
I would spend some time playing with them at the store

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
let the phone wars begin!

ios if you want simple,easy to use, stable..

android if you want to be more of a tweaker..

i am extremely happy with my iphone,the support is waaay more accessible and awesome when needed ,which is not often ..i dunno but i don't use my phone for downloading movies or all that stuff,just basic stuff but i do have it jailbroken so my mobile hotspot was 18 bucks for life...messaging is hella cheap..my bill is around 70 a month on the most basic plan..plus i dont like huge phones if i want to watch videos i use my laptop. Reliability is the key for me..
I did have an android...i like the ipwn much better
I would spend some time playing with them at the store

+1

I would also add that Apple's ecosystem effin rocks. Simplicity at its finest.

PS. Sprint's network blows, no matter what phone you have/get. XD

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Oh yeah, android hotspot is free. forever. no rooting required.

Not with AT&T or T-Mobile. You're still fudged into paying for it, no matter what phone you have. And the only way around it is if you root it or jailbreak it.

:tf:

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
iPhone 4S.

Had it for over a year. 90% of phones stop working way before that. I've never gone a full year with the same phone without any problems. All my old phones ended up hitting a brick wall or asphalt. Android = :poop: And don't get the iPhone 5. iPhone 4S is more priceworthy. And I would actually say that it is Priceworthy. Unlike all the android phones. Android phones should be like 80 bux since they just break down so fast.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Android phones don't "break so fast." That problem is the one holding the device. I am coming up on 2 years with my Galaxy S (running 4.2.2) so bull to your 90%, too.

See if they have an SIII mini. Even an SII+ is a decent phone. Htc has some nice phones, but i'd have to look into those first

Bambi

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
I have had an iphone 4g since they came out and just finished a 24 month contract. I had the option of getting the iphone 5 or a choice of latest androids (including galaxy s4 and htc one), but opted to wait for the imminent next round of phones to be released, and dropped down to a rolling monthly contract. Point being that I have an iphone 4g for two years, it still works, it does everything I need it to (including surviving a little swim - albeit with two days in rice), and yet still the shiny new obsessive disorder that we all have demands more.

In terms of what is out now, well, for specs just look online, but I do not think they are particularly helpful. Sure the S4 beats the iphone5 hands down on tech. specs, but online reviews, personal experience, and experience of friends who have said phones tells me that the iphone is smoother at operating content/apps. There are a lot of good android phones out there, and some good competition from different brands - there is no denying that the htc one is one smooth looking piece of kit (didn't think that they were capable of producing something like that 6 months ago).

I agree with Rival that slightly older models give you much better value for money. My brother loves his 'phablet' galaxy note II, and raves about it all the time. After that I would probably say it is a battle between the S3 and iphone 4s.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
iPhone 4S.

Had it for over a year. 90% of phones stop working way before that. I've never gone a full year with the same phone without any problems. All my old phones ended up hitting a brick wall or asphalt. Android = :poop: And don't get the iPhone 5. iPhone 4S is more priceworthy. And I would actually say that it is Priceworthy. Unlike all the android phones. Android phones should be like 80 bux since they just break down so fast.

I've had my 4s since Oct. '11 and it's been running rock solid. I'm patiently waiting for the 5s and the so called cheaper version of the 5 (with plastic color shell) to upgrade. :D

The wife was eager to jump from the Samsung Infuse last year after owning that POS after ~9 months. The Infuse would freeze up, lag, and she'd had to take out the battery least twice a day. She was pissed that I made her get an Android :rolleyes:. Although, giving her my 3GS made it all better XD

edit:
If you're on a contract that just expired and will renew your contract, I'd wait for the next iPhone (in less than 2 months), solely because the 5 will come down in price; usually $100.

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
So i was noticing that the 4S is not 4G but the 5s is. Is 4G really 10x faster than the regular 3G?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
So i was noticing that the 4S is not 4G but the 5s is. Is 4G really 10x faster than the regular 3G?

You're probably thinking about LTE/4G/3G. I don't know the exact math for it but yes LTE > 4G > 3G when it comes to data speeds. But it still all depends on who your carrier is. Like I said previously, Sprint = garbage, even if your phone says LTE LOL!

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Android is easier to use than IOS IMO. And having said that that's the only thing that IOS users usually have in their defense. Android is cheaper, more accessible, easier to use, and more in depth. GO FOR IT

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
Like I said previously, Sprint = garbage, even if your phone says LTE LOL!

Ok. I wasn't thinking on switching Carriers. I'm prolly going to stick with which ever carrier is cheapest, lol. What Carrier would you suggest however?

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Well not Sprint obviously!

Look around @ Bestbuy.com and the different carriers websites for the best deals.

I've never used a smartphone, save for a Samsung one i had for a short while. That one i hated, not so much b/c of the OS, but just b/c the phone sucked.

My only experience w/ Android is using it on my tablet. I find it easy to use and has all the apps etc. that i could ever want. Apple probably has a lot more selection though.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Ok. I wasn't thinking on switching Carriers. I'm prolly going to stick with which ever carrier is cheapest, lol. What Carrier would you suggest however?

Cheapest = T-Mobile. But it also doesn't have the network coverage that the big-3 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) have, at this moment.

About 2 months ago, I made the jump from AT&T to T-Mobile. Now, I'm saving over $60+/month, easily. The only downside to mine is I'm limited to 500MB of 4G speeds. I don't care since 90% of the time I'm around WiFi anyway. And even so, another $10 per phone gives me an additional 2GB of data. Still cheaper than the big-3. The other downside is they don't subsidize your phones anymore. So instead of paying say $199 for a subsidized phone with the big-3, with T-Mobile you're paying an additional $27/month (for 24 months) for the phone.

For me, I'm paying roughly $90/month for 2 lines, unlimited talk and text with 500MB of data. Will be adding my broski and my payment should come down $20 :D.

If you don't want high monthly prices, and T-Mobile service is adequate in your area, I would recommend them over the big-3. You'll have to buy your own phone at full price (doesn't matter if it's iOS or Android) or having them add an additional payment to your monthly.

Or, get raped with either of the big-3 carriers.

Do any of your friends have T-Mobile, or any of the other carriers? You should ask them how their service is and go from there.

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
If you're on a contract that just expired and will renew your contract, I'd wait for the next iPhone (in less than 2 months), solely because the 5 will come down in price; usually $100.

Well the whole reason for me switching things up is because i got my phone wet and its shot. No big deal since its 2 years old and it was free with my 2yr plan. Now i kinda need a new phone ASAP and is another reason for why i'm prolly not going to switch carriers, but i'm looking into it right as we speak.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming all over my face!

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of your friends have T-Mobile, or any of the other carriers? You should ask them how their service is and go from there.

I think most have at&t but i will deff ask around now.

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Well the whole reason for me switching things up is because i got my phone wet and its shot. No big deal since its 2 years old and it was free with my 2yr plan. Now i kinda need a new phone ASAP and is another reason for why i'm prolly not going to switch carriers.

Aaaahh. have you put it in a bag of rice for a day or two yet?

And since you're gonna stick with Sprint, your best bet is to call them. You should definitely try to get the customer rep to waive your upgrade fee. These darn carriers are known to charge $36 for :quote:activation fee:quote: :rolleyes:

In my opinion:
If I want a phone that just works seamlessly with my other iOS devices and Apple devices, iPhone 5.
If I want an Android, you can't go wrong with a Galaxy S4 and the HTC One (thing is sexy).
If you want a big ass screen, Samsung Note 2. Android as well.

Top Bottom