Custom Carbon Fibre Guitar

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
CF is light and stiff, hence the use in bike frames, some race car bodies, etc. etc. (so many uses for it, yet I can't think right now).

road cars use it as well. the last Aston Martin car used it for a the chassis as well as the body

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Sound hole cover ready for 5 coats of mould release and then time to make some tooling for the guitar

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
final design done for the Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Acoustic

Electric

the Acoustic Guitar will come first as its the one we have been working the most and the the Electric one Will follow on. Moulding or plug making should start next week or the week after and then the fun can begin

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Depends on how much you want to invest into them. Higher quality pups would drive the price of the guitar up, unless you wanted to omit that. It also depends on the type of player you want to market to. Different pups are made for different kinds of music. I would assume you would want rock style. You also have a choice between active (uses a battery) and passive. Actives would require a larger cavity in the back for installation and maybe some trickier wiring.

Here are some to consider. Make sure to research whether any given pup works better in the bridge, neck or both. You can use two different kinds for each. The JB is supposed to be quite nice and versatile.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP151-PAF-Pro-Pickup-100239712-i1127586.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH-4-JB-Humbucker-Pickup-100180975-i1127364.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-81-Humbucking-Active-Guitar-Pickup-100220588-i1323626.gc - Used mostly for metal.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson--57-Classic-Humbucker-Neck-Pickup-100319562-i1128001.gc - Good neck pickup.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Humbucker-Pickups-Electric-Guitar-Pickups.gc - List of many best sellers.

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Humbuckers usually market to a wider audience and you can, again usually, get a great range of different tones out of em.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
i guess it could be that the pickup are done with the order or left to the customer to sort out. that way they get the ones that are right for the sort of thing they wish to use it for but yes i guess most of it is going to be rock music

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
i guess it could be that the pickup are done with the order or left to the customer to sort out. that way they get the ones that are right for the sort of thing they wish to use it for but yes i guess most of it is going to be rock music

You wouldn't be able to buy in bulk though, and you'd need to have the space for the wiring and the battery set up for the EMG pickups.
And I'm assuming people don't want that extra hollow part in the body of their guitar if they have passives, that's just useless.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Yeah. The space needed for actives is a lot bigger. And I'm not sure how cutting into it would really work. On a wood guitar, you can just cut out a bigger space if you want to use actives. At least in most cases.

To start out with on the first guitar or two, i would just go with a good , all around pickup. Like the JB for the bridge. Some pickups sound better/worse depending on the type of wood, so i really don't know what it would sound like in a solid CF. In fact, from all my googling, i haven't seen anyone do a solid electric. Is yours going to be solid?

Maybe it's best to not even shell out 200 bux on pickups to start with. The first one is basically a prototype. You can always replace one of the pup's later. Just takes some soldering and a wiring diagram. Not that i can do it lol.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
done a little to the plug today (not to much as had to crack on with other work but its a start anyways)

Fret board off, start to sand it ready for some filler and paint, also got a few holes to fill in

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
started doing a little a more prep work to the guitar plug today.

started filling the holes and marks in the sound board

started smoothing out the fret board side of the neck (as this was beat up after taking the board off)

stared to reshape the base of the neck

hoping to try and get the rest of the filler work done and in primer tomorrow while its quite. could be in paint on tuesday night with any luck

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
got the rest of the filler work done today but sadly no time for primer :(

sound board and top side of neck smooth and ready for primer

side of guitar with hole filled in and keyed up ready for primer

side of guitar (bottom) with filler work done and keyed up. was pretty badly out of shape and needed a fair amount of filler

the other side of guitar with hole filled and keyed up ready for primer

back of the guitar and base of neck all filled and keyed up ready for primer

looking forward to being able to make the first guitar now and there is only a few steps left to do before then

Last edited:

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
guitar now in primer

guitar in guide coat ready for flatting back

hoping to have it flatted back tomorrow and get any other little bits of filler work done so it can then be painted that night last thing

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
had to repair the neck after it got broken

its now in primer again waiting to be flatted back and then in to paint for moulding :)

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Wow! It's starting to look real fine! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the final product.

thanks. its taking its time but it has to be right before the moulding can start. hoping to have a test fibreglass one done soon

also stayed a little later tonight and got the guitar in to paint so now just got to flat it back polish it up and see if its good enough to mould from or if it needs more paint

Top Bottom