Custom Carbon Fibre Guitar

Bambi

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
I would probably buy the fret board and mould it, so you have something physical to measure against.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
if you were thinking of using wood for the neck/fretboard, id recomend mahogany, it seems to be pretty good for strength, tone, etc. for fretboard itself, rosewood or ebony are the best, most hardwoods are the best, i used ebony when i made mine, if you really wanted to make something crazy, try snakewood, coolest looking and most solid wood there is.

thanks for the info fella but the person wants a custom carbon fibre guitar so i will just be buying a wooden neck to to take a mould of and that will be that. if it was my guitar i would think about going down the carbon fibre body and wooden neck route just for the modern meets old kinda style

I would probably buy the fret board and mould it, so you have something physical to measure against.

yep thats the plan fella gonna be buying a fret board and taking a mould so i dont have to worry about setting all the markings out.

made a start on the sound hole cover today although its not quite finished

sound hole cover cut out and engraved M

Test fitting on a guitar to make the fret board cut

fret board marked out ready to be cut

rear veiw of the sound hole cover with the Fret Board markings cut out

Final shot of it on a guitar

still needs a little sanding down then some paint before i can take a mould of it

theGenius

|KKK|´s Dumbass
|K3| Member
damn, this is my first visit in this thread, and i must say the progress is pretty amazing, looks good man.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Well quick update on the guitar situation - the first update is that the word seems to have got around about this project and today i was contacted by a person that has a lot to do with some big bands and also plays in a band his self, he was very interested in see and using the finished product also saying that he would promote the fact im now building carbon fibre guitars.

with the above in mind i felt the need to say fuck it and went ahead and contacted a mate that has his own machine shop etc and we are now working as one on these projects. which means for the guitars it will be a good thing for the fact now everything from the strap buttons to tuners will all be a 100% custom and all made in house where people can come along and see some of the progress to their guitar or at least a guitar so they have an idea of the work that goes into it. but less of that for now as im sure all will become clear at a later if you guys was still wanting thread on up coming builds which will include a complete custom carbon fibre body guitar with a polished aluminium neck (one imo to watch out for, should look awesome when done)

well as for this build i will be ordering £400 worth of equipment tomorrow morning which i'm hoping to see Friday. ill then have time to play around with that on some old moulds and work out from there how im going to make the moulds for this guitar. all being well the build should start in 2 to 3 weeks max with the maxing of the tools/moulds and then the laying up of the carbon fibre guitar will begin.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
When you become rich , remember who gave you invaluable advice and helped out :D ( and sent Miley pics. Worth a bonus imo )

On a serious note, that's awesome, i hope it works out. Can't wait to see the first finished guitar and hear how it plays.

Bambi

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
Nice, sounds like it is going from strength to strength. Keep the updates coming. Always interesting.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
When you become rich , remember who gave you invaluable advice and helped out :D ( and sent Miley pics. Worth a bonus imo )

On a serious note, that's awesome, i hope it works out. Can't wait to see the first finished guitar and hear how it plays.

yer ill post you a kit kat for your invaluable info and mint aero for the photo you sent lol

thanks man. well the bloke that has something to do with the bands seems to be well up for seeing and getting his hands on a finished one so all being well it could be good.

Nice, sounds like it is going from strength to strength. Keep the updates coming. Always interesting.

yes it seems to beand its not what i planned to do but if it works im happy to make guitars

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Messing with some body idea today and have come up with these 3 so far. after your views on the best one? unless you guys have any better ideas

Design 1

Design 2

Design 3

im unsure as to if one of these will be used in the first guitar build but if not it will be used for the second build which will happen shortly after this one so all input is welcome good or bad

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I can't eat candy! Pug is trying to kill me!

My preference on design.

1. Design 2
2. Design 3
3. Don't like design 1.

Cutaways are good because it gives easier access to the higher frets. Although those high frets aren't used that much in acoustic playing.

This is my fav shape for acoustics. This shape is a lot more common on acoustic/electrics* like the one pictured. ( 20 frets )

*Acoustic guitars with pickups, maybe some on board EQ etc. That can be plugged into am amp.

DV016_Jpg_Large_519998.012_trans_blue.jpg

Last edited:

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member

My preference on design.

1. Design 2
2. Design 3
3. Don't like design 1.

Cutaways are good because it gives easier access to the higher frets. Although those high frets aren't used that much in acoustic playing.

This is my fav shape for acoustics. This shape is a lot more common on acoustic/electrics* like the one pictured. ( 20 frets )

*Acoustic guitars with pickups, maybe some on board EQ etc. That can be plugged into am amp.

haha well i thought you said you wanted a t-shirt instead of the aero bar lol. Its also not CANDY its Chocolate ;)

aye i like design 2 but i think design 1 would look better if the shape was the same on both on both sides.

i like that guitar the finish on its nice also. thinking of running colours on the demo/show guitar. maybe the St George Cross design on the sound board or the body in red and white carbon with MADE IN ENGLAND on the rear id plate (although every guitar we make has to support the MADE IN ENGLAND part on the id plate

yes ive been looking in to making Acoustic, Electric Acoustic and Electric Guitars as if im gonna do it might as well do it right ;)

EDIT: -

i also forgot that as i never spoke to you on yahoo the other day that i spoke to my mate and its his mates brother who dose promoting and sorting out of equipment for bands and artists gigs. i was told he knows some big bands like KOL, Arctic monkeys and quite a few more from all around the world

Last edited:

Bambi

Sergeant
Former Krew Member

My preference on design.

1. Design 2
2. Design 3
3. Don't like design 1.

^ What he said.

Unruley1

Master Sergeant
Former Krew Member
damn man the progress u've made since i last saw this thread is epic. I agree with bambi and damage i also like the 2nd design seems more natural.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
right well a little update on this project

1: - spoke to the blokes brother that dose all the band promo stuff and he is itching to get his hand on a prototype. which is a good thing so im hoping that the week starting the 27th will be the week that the mould gets made and all the prep work done for the fun part of making the guitar

2: - finally had the £400 worth of vacuum bagging gear turn that i ordered last week along with some resin. so i will be playing around with that over the weekend on some old mould i have kicking about and may also post some photos or videos

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
thanks Bambi

quick test of the vacuum pump to make sure all is good (plus it was a nice excuse to use the scraps of carbon fibre to make a flat panel)

All bagged up

Bag with vacuum line and resin line added

All setup ready to start pulling a vacuum on the bag

Vacuum pulled on bag

Vacuum gauge reading -1 bar

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
what i pulled out the mould today. shame i was on the phone and let it suck in loads of air which has left quite a few little air bubbles in the part but lucky it was only a test piece and its still strong which is good

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
that flat sheet of carbon fibre is 21cm wide (just over 8 inch) by 7cm (6.5 inch) and it weighs 158 grams

Edit: - for get to add its 4mm thick

Last edited:
Top Bottom