Guitar thread

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
yeah guitarpro is nice. And if you're taking tabs off of ultimateguitar never fully trust it. Always tinker with it a little bit, most people really are bad at writing down tab there lol.

Jack

|KKK|s Sexiest Voice
|K3| Member
ive never really had a bad experience with the tabs for guitarpro from ultimate guitar, just go for the ones with the highest ratings lol. but i do feel awesome when i correct a tab.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I can read music, but usually don't.

Most of the time if I have to rad music it's at a gig where I don't know the tunes, so I get a chord chart from the band leader. But I haven't had one of those in a while.
I rarely read the heads of songs, or have to read specific arrangements. Reading is pretty hard on guitar (not an excuse, but still...) and I just haven't put enough time into it.

So usually I just play what sounds good. At least when I'm jamming.

When I practice I tend to be a little more focused.

Does anyone else here try to separate practicing and playing?

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Yeah, i can always find at least one good, accurate tab @ UG for any given song. There are multiple versions for each song so i just go with the highest rated one as well. The tab's you find there are usually the same tabs featured on other sites. They also have a lot of lessons, but some are kind of ..... :unsure:

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I find the best thing for chords to be staff notation with a fretboard diagram above each voicing.
This way you can see the voiceleading, hear the voice-leading, and also track the voicings on the fretboard as you go.

It's especially helpful if you are trying to write new voicings or voice-leading sections. Or if you are just trying to explore the sound of one chord.

I used to use finale to do this, and I had a couple of very thorough voicing grids that I had made up.

Let me know if anyone would like me to try and dig these up.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
http://bit.ly/Yoz2hk

^That

Basically, there are many ways to play a certain chord. Each has different qualities and tendencies. The chord G is simply made of G's B's and D's. However you stack them, it will still be a g chord. (there are exceptions).

So finding them on guitar takes a lot of work. Making them up on piano is fairly simple.

That's why I mentioned the chord charts.

Last edited:

Jack

|KKK|s Sexiest Voice
|K3| Member
PHRwc.jpg

this is the guitar i built.

Top Bottom