Final electoral college votes(as of 12:12 AM EST):

Obama 290
Romney 203

Obama won by a landslide!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/politics?feature=inp-lt-ype-119[/video]

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Many of the states were won by a 1-5% margin and they had not even finished counting yet. How can you call that a landslide? Romney even had the popular vote. It was close, too close...

Last edited:

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
At this time, it is a landslide. I'm going by the current numbers for Electoral College votes. Not my the votes we made

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
This is just proof that the "winner takes all" approach to the electoral college needs to go!

I thought about voting this year but this right here is exactly why I didn't, the popular vote doesn't even matter it's the electoral votes that count. My state is already a Red state so my vote wouldn't have mattered anyways (even though I would have picked Romney).

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
+1 Nikon and Houston.
This response is not just cause I like Romney, but I agree with the abolition of the electoral college. Popular vote = Democracy!

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
It was made when people were un-educated about politics. I think it's safe to say that most of us are educated enough to vote for the right candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
It's really not safe to say that most of Americans are educated enough to vote intelligently.

By the way, Obama won the popular vote by a small margin 50% - 48.3 % .

I certainly think the Electoral College needs an overhaul, but to abolish it is dumb. Not like that hasn't been admitted as an idea from every "common sense" voter who ever existed. Only problem is that if it only took a highschool education to come up with the idea that would completely save our nation, our nation would already be saved by one of the million people who thought of that before.

We had a week long debate on this in college.

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
The thing is, don't get rid of the electoral college completely, but divide it up by congressional districts, you get electoral votes by winning districts, not the whole state. That would better serve our current system of representation in our government and allow more equal representation of voter outcomes. California and New York have historically been blue states and that is a guaranteed 86 electoral votes for almost any Democratic candidate. That is roughly 1/3 of the necessary electoral votes needed to win from just TWO STATES! All that from 2 states is the equivalent of nearly 5 of the Republican "Solid South" states. In this election in Virginia, Florida, and Ohio, Mitt Romney controlled most of each state with the exception of some of the large population centers in those states. IMO, If one candidate has a large population center in one state, but the other candidate controls pretty much everything else, then the one candidate with that one population center should not get all of the electoral votes. The fact is, if one candidate can control most of the states and the popular vote and still lose, its time we rework our system.

According to the Electoral College, Obama had a "landslide victory" but in the end, he only commanded a couple million more votes than Romney. The voter count showed a near 50/50 race, but the electoral college gave Obama a lead of 97 electoral votes? Thats just plain OFF!

Last edited:

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
There is no need for the electoral college.. Either abolish the EC or do away with the popular vote.

I feel the PEOPLE should elect the pres and veep..

What would happen if the EC elected the Obammy as Pres and Ryan as Veep? This is a possibility

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
The Electoral College prevents stupid partisan voters from controlling the election. Stupid partisan voters in fact have no control over the vote, the media campaigns of each candidate have full control over them. So the fact that there are guaranteed states to win for each candidate should be a clear reason straight off the bat why we need the electoral college.

However, I do think it needs an overhaul, and somewhat like Nikon suggested.

Either way, Obama won both votes. So any claims that the people didn't elect Obama are false. That is simple fact. Whether the media says it's a landslide or not is not a political issue, but an issue of shitty journalism.

Secondly, the electoral college needs an overhaul because it promotes saturation political media in certain areas of the country. The media campaigns this year were both undignified and bloated. If the candidates and the people of this country really wanted to solve poverty, they needed only give those billions spent on media campaigns to schools and community outreach programs and the like. And considering that the Republican Media Campaign both spent more money than any other.... in history..... like ever.... and also that in most places more than 50% of it came from large, "anonymous" (secret) donations (basically from big business and lobbyists), I can hardly see how any republican could tout any sort of dignity after this election.

I highly suggest reading about the elections of the 60's and 70's. Then you will notice how America has changed and what is really wrong with the electorate and the election process.

- - - Updated - - -

Many of the states were won by a 1-5% margin and they had not even finished counting yet. How can you call that a landslide? Romney even had the popular vote. It was close, too close...

This happens every year with the "haven't finished counting yet"

We had a whole week to vote. A WEEK! Voting was also done electronically.

The only votes that aren't really counted are provisionals and paper ones, which almost no one did. What is a provisional vote? It's a vote you make at the polling place that is NOT the one you are supposed to be at. It gets counted anywhere from a day to 3 days later. They warn you about this ahead of time.

Point is, if votes are still getting counted, it's the fault of the voters. What's with americans not voting? It's not making a statement. What actually makes the statement is going to the poll, taking your ballot, and refusing to vote on whatever you don't want to vote on. THAT actually gets COUNTED as a non-vote, and makes a message.

Top Bottom