FAvorite Book

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
"Neuromancer" - William Gibson. There's a trilogy. I think neuromancer is the best. It's from 1984.

"The Stars My Destination" - Alfred Bester, is awesome. That's more of a short story. It's short.

I also went on a vonnegut binge in highschool. I read a lot of his books. Idk how many.

V

Voodoo

Isaac Asimov
The Leviathon Wakes
The Night Angel Trilogy
Epic/Saga/Edda
Most of the HALO novels
Ender's series ( All eight books)
Red / Green / Blue Mars

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I find asimov to be overly wordy and rambling, especially the foundation trilogy.

However, I do not put him in the same category as Ayn Rand for wordiness, at all. I think Asimov's words really do function to build upon the foundation of his novel, where Rand just kind of spews her somewhat naive ideology in long monologues that could really be coming from any character in her book. The reality is that she just uses the characters to spit what she wants to say at you.
Asimov, on the other hand, really builds a lot of story and imagery into his work. His characters are very much unique from each other.

Last edited:
V

Voodoo

I agree with you on Asimov; have never read Rand. Asimov overly complicates simple things because of the wordiness/vocabulary, but I definitely agree that he puts a lot of story and ideas into his foundation series. I have read some of his short stories, and they do not have that problem. When he goes novel mode, he goes deep.

All time fav: Sloan's Teddy wins the race

ManuelBook

|K3|'s Horror Fanatic
Former Krew Member
fifty-shades-of-grey-trilogy.jpg

:naughty:

Prophet

Private First Class
gotta love slaughterhouse 5, the great gatsby, 1984 by Orwell, and some of you guys might get pissed at this, but the Harry Potter series was one of my favorites

- - - Updated - - -

and Ender's Game. The movie is coming out soon btw... Finally after so many years

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I'm reading The Pillars of the earth atm. Awesome book. Haven't watched any of my shows for days because of it.

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
Also read Egotism in German Philosophy by Nietzsche. Really weird, but strangely interesting.

SoRude

|KKK|'s Swagga McDaddy
Former Krew Member
I find that the characters in The Great Gatsby reallllyyyy annoying

felon

I'm back :)
Former Krew Member
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the whole Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold is amazing.

Prophet

Private First Class
how were the other books? i only got to read enders game.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I agree. But I feel like that was on purpose. Fitzgerald wanted expose the people of higher social classes. I loved Gatsby and Nick, but Daisy and Tom were the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone read the Dune series? I heard good things but havent read them yet.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
the rest of the ender books are great too...the Dune seires is awesome but very detailed and intricate...i wouldn't go past the first ones by Frank Herbert, the follow ups by his son aren't as good..

rocketfish

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
The Dune Trilogy is very good. Frank Herbert was a great writer! HIBred is right only the dad's books are good.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
:bump:

Just finished reading Catching Fire. I don't have Mockingjay yet, but I can't wait to get it.

Top Bottom