New Gaming Laptop....

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Damn useful read. Now can you explain how turbo speed, overclock, cores and gigahertz work?

Lol I can see this is turning into a learning thread. Alright, why not.

Turbo:
Simple really, when a task begins hogging CPU resources the CPU begins to overclock itself. Depending on which CPU you have, it might overclock just a few cores, or all of them.

Overclock:
You manually raise the clock of the processor thus causing it to run faster. That's the simplest definition for it. Getting into overclocking is more complicated than that though. Mainly because there are many different ways to OC. Some processors have an unlocked multiplier. It is much easier to overclock these. Getting a stable overclock takes time. A mild overclock (between 200-400mhz) is usually very easy to attain on modern CPUs and requires no voltage tweaking.

Cores:
A processor today actually contains multiple processors in it. Each processor in a single die is called a core. Each one is individual to process it's own batch of information. Cores can't "Share" a single thread workload. In order to make applications or games run faster the developer has to on his own time make multiple threads so that each core can work on an application. But with cores, heavy multitasking is possible. Each processor can run it's own set of tasks so that the rest of the computer doesn't slow down.

Gigahertz:
This is a bit more difficult to explain but I will do my best to keep it simple. Gigahertz = 1000 Megahertz. The number of hertz means how many clock cycles per second. In processors, just because it might have a higher GHz number, doesn't mean it is faster. When you go down to the basic levels of a processor, some "Tick" faster per hert than others. Look at this GIF image I found online as a reference.
150px-FrequencyAnimation.gif

As you can see, the 3rd hert is "ticking" faster than the first two. Meaning even if the clock was lower (for comparison, we can use the Phenom II x4 and the Core i7 920 bloomfield processor) it would still be faster than the other.

Phenom II X4 955 BE = 3.2Ghz
Core i7 920 bloomfield = 2.66ghz

The core i7 comes out on top because it's tick is higher than the phenom's.

Hope that cleared it up!

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
:eek: Wow Joe's quite the computer man! There's alot of info here I didn't understand either. I kind of knew some of it, like the higher Hz = faster speed but apparently that's not always the case.

I think we need to hire Joe as our own personal tech geek :thanks:

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Ok joe, I've got my new laptop and loving it so far!! I get an average around 90+ fps on cod4 with the dedicated ATI card turned on, although it does run fairly hot (around 75C on average), but I think laptop video cards handle heat better also.

Now for what I want, about the only thing I don't like about this laptop is the plug in for the power supply, it's pretty thick (which I would expect being a 120W supply) but the plug in is pretty big and goes straight in to the laptop, and I'm thinking about getting something like this to offset and get a 90 degree angle on it.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if this converter can and will handle up to 120 watts of power, say when the game is running. I would think so and from the pictures it does look fairly thick, you ever bought something like this or what's your opinion on it, just curious...

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Ok joe, I've got my new laptop and loving it so far!! I get an average around 90+ fps on cod4 with the dedicated ATI card turned on, although it does run fairly hot (around 75C on average), but I think laptop video cards handle heat better also.

Now for what I want, about the only thing I don't like about this laptop is the plug in for the power supply, it's pretty thick (which I would expect being a 120W supply) but the plug in is pretty big and goes straight in to the laptop, and I'm thinking about getting something like this to offset and get a 90 degree angle on it.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if this converter can and will handle up to 120 watts of power, say when the game is running. I would think so and from the pictures it does look fairly thick, you ever bought something like this or what's your opinion on it, just curious...

I think it should be fine, but if you are scared about the power issue you can buy a thicker one for the extra cash. extra 5 bucks is worth being safe than sorry.

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Yeah I give the laptop an A++. It plays the game pretty damn good, I was impressed! :hi5:

Top Bottom