New Gaming Laptop....

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
So yeah, I've been on a hunt for a new gaming laptop, the problem is how expensive they are. I'm looking for something that will play Cod4 pretty well but around 800 bucks or less, I'll post some "candidates" once I find them, any ideas?

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158058

It's fairly sexy, has a lot of power, and is exactly in your price range. Specs are as follows....

2.2ghz Intel Sandy bridge processor (4 cores @ 2.2ghz per core with turbo boost to 3.10 GHz)
6GB DDR3 ram
750gb hard drive
AMD 6770m 1GB
5-6 hours of battery life

My macbook pro has almost the same specs (but I have a 6750m, 1 model lower than 6770m) and I run black ops maxed out smoothly on it. You will have NO PROBLEM running cod4, or just about any other modern game really.

Here is your 2nd option if you care less about battery life.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246221

2.4ghz Intel sandy bridge quad core
6GB DDR3
750gb hard drive
Nvidia GT555m graphics (hard to tell which is faster, for the most part the 6770m is about the same in performance)
2 and a half to 3 hours battery
30 bucks cheaper than the other laptop (IMO 30 bucks is worth it to get the Hp for more battery)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: AVC

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Thanks joe, I really like the HP except for the review the guy posted on newegg's website, but it doesn't sound like it was brand new either. The 6770 is just a bit under the 6870 I have so I'm sure it would kick ass man! 800 is on the high side but really not bad for a gaming laptop, and I was expecting this and I'll certainly look in to it and let you know what I decide ;)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Thanks joe, I really like the HP except for the review the guy posted on newegg's website, but it doesn't sound like it was brand new either. The 6770 is just a bit under the 6870 I have so I'm sure it would kick ass man! 800 is on the high side but really not bad for a gaming laptop, and I was expecting this and I'll certainly look in to it and let you know what I decide ;)

If not the 2nd choice is still there. the GT555 is supposed to be a small hair faster than the 6770 but at the cost of battery life. Also I think both laptops have rebates.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yeah the websites I looked at said the rebate ends today actually, and I wanted more time to look around so that's out the window. I really would like something like the HP you listed, money really isn't a bit problem but I just don't want something that's like 1200 bucks or w/e when I can get something for around 800 that does the same thing.

It's not something I need quickly anyways I just wanted some help in finding one and apparently your the only one that cares to help out Joe, thanks bud! ;)

PaigeBoo

|KKK|s wise lesbian
Former Krew Member
It's not that I don't care, it's that I'm not really great in this kind of thing. Joe is like the man about this stuff, he helped me find an extended battery for my laptop and told me how to get the best use out of it. He's the man.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
I wasn't really talking about you Paige lol, more to the other guys here that knows about this kind of stuff lol, still not sure what I want yet so I'm still looking ;)

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

Well shit, the HP laptop had a rebate (a good one) where I could have got it for 800 yesterday, and now it's 900 damn dollars, I'll find another one lol. More help Joe? ;)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
I wasn't really talking about you Paige lol, more to the other guys here that knows about this kind of stuff lol, still not sure what I want yet so I'm still looking ;)

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

Well shit, the HP laptop had a rebate (a good one) where I could have got it for 800 yesterday, and now it's 900 damn dollars, I'll find another one lol. More help Joe? ;)

The Hp is still 809 dollars... $759.99 after mail-in rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158058

Enjoy? lol

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Here you go Blu, click here.

The laptop is $1,150.00 and they have $250.00 automatically but I found this discount code: NBJ7558 which gives you 33% off on any laptop that's over $1k. So after the discount, the laptop itself came out to $770.49. Taxes and shipping tack on another $90 or so but the specs of this one look darn good.

If the link above doesn't work, the laptop and specs are:

HP dv6t
  • dark umber
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
  • 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7470M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
  • FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
  • No Additional Office Software
  • No additional security software
  • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • 15.6" High Definition HP LED Brightview (1366x768)
  • FREE UPGRADE to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
  • 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
I don't know when the code expires but I assume it's soon.

edit:
lol, I found another code for even more savings!! Use discount code: NBL9438 for $415.00 off. New total for the laptop I mentioned above = $827.02 (shipping and Amarillo, TX taxes included).

Last edited:

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Well hell too late Wally I already ordered the HP from newegg!!

But thanks anyways man, and to all the replies, I'm looking forward to my new laptop! ;)

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Here you go Blu, click here.

The laptop is $1,150.00 and they have $250.00 automatically but I found this discount code: NBJ7558 which gives you 33% off on any laptop that's over $1k. So after the discount, the laptop itself came out to $770.49. Taxes and shipping tack on another $90 or so but the specs of this one look darn good.

If the link above doesn't work, the laptop and specs are:

HP dv6t
  • dark umber
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
  • 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7470M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
  • FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
  • No Additional Office Software
  • No additional security software
  • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • 15.6" High Definition HP LED Brightview (1366x768)
  • FREE UPGRADE to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
  • 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
I don't know when the code expires but I assume it's soon.

edit:
lol, I found another code for even more savings!! Use discount code: NBL9438 for $415.00 off. New total for the laptop I mentioned above = $827.02 (shipping and Amarillo, TX taxes included).

Though that is a nice laptop, I don't really think the 7470 amd chip will beat the 6770m or GT555m in gaming. Actually I don't think it will come even close.

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
I'm a n00b when it comes to anything made by AMD :eek:
Oh you are fine, the new 7XXX series was just released a few days ago, but the 7470 is a lower end GPU. It will be power efficient but won't match the performance of it's older brother the 6770. And since Blu is looking for power, it wouldn't make sense.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
ah gotcha. I just figured it was a better option given it had a higher number. I knew I forgot to do something... research the GPU differences lol XD

when are you expecting to receive the laptop, Blu?

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yeah from what I read this card should do cod4 at around 70fps on high settings, that's pretty damn good and good enough for me!!

And Wally it should be some time this week, I'll take some pics of it and post them when I get it! ;)

P.S. And joe, something I read too that a guy posted about was in the bios settings on this laptop it has an option for "switchable graphics" that you can make it use the dedicated card (instead of onboard) all the time if it's plugged in to an external power source, which I plan to use!

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
ah gotcha. I just figured it was a better option given it had a higher number. I knew I forgot to do something... research the GPU differences lol XD

when are you expecting to receive the laptop, Blu?

The higher number is partially right, but it's the last 3 numbers count more than the first one. The first number shows the generation ex. (6XXX), the second number shows how high end the GPU is. The higher the second number is the more powerful that generation is ex. (69XX). The number is usually 3-9. The last digits are either 50, or 70 most of the time ex (6950 or 6970). 50 means a lower end on that model, and 70 shows a higher end of that model. There is a 90 but that is for the dual GPU model (6990 currently).

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
The higher number is partially right, but it's the last 3 numbers count more than the first one. The first number shows the generation, the second number shows how high end the GPU is. The higher the second number is the more powerful that generation is. The number is usually 3-9. The last digits are either 50, or 70 most of the time. 50 means a lower end on that model, and 70 shows a higher end of that model. There is a 90 but that is for the dual GPU model (6990 currently).

gotcha! Does that also apply to the Nvidia cards as well?

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
gotcha! Does that also apply to the Nvidia cards as well?

For Nvidia cards it is similar as well, but slightly different. Current Nvidia card system works like this. There are 3 letters marking which level of a card it is. There are 3 levels. GT, GTS, GTX. GT is low end, very budget. GTS is in the middle, can do modern gaming at a moderate resolution. GTX can do gaming at higher resolutions at smoother frame rates. Then there is the number system. The first number is marking the generation ex: (GTX 5XX). Then the last two numbers show how powerful that generation card is. GTX cards range from 50-90 ex:(GTX 580). GTS is only 50(GTS 450). GT go from 10-40 ex(GT 220) .

I also edited the AMD post so you can understand it a little better. Hope this clears it up a bit for ya.

Top Bottom