Internet problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiTyCHiLD

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Hello Everyone,

...So I'm having internet problems like a lot of people on here. I was just letting you guys know incase I'm not around. I'm using a laptop and I was using a wireless connection from NetGear. It was a public network so all I had to do was click connect and I would be online.

For some reason, my laptop can't find the network anymore. Maybe, I wasn't allowed to do that and NetGear found out or something. Do any of you know why that is? It's been like this for two days. Maybe my connection will fixed itself because it has before, but I'm posting this just incase.

Anyways, I'm off tomorrow to find a connection for this router I have. It might take me a while because 1) routers are confusing to me and 2) I lost the disk it came with. Maybe when I get it all hooked up, I will ask around here to see if anyone can help me set it up. I know I have to do something with the IP adresses or something like that.

I hate the router company though. They never help me set it up for free, and I always got to pay a fee. They also have these accents I can't understand. They make me feel like Samuel L Jackson (ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT)
I'm running windows 7 on my desktop and windows vista on my laptop if that helps, and I'm going to hook up my "Cisco Linksys" router. Hopefully, it will make my internet run more smoothly with out any lag in COD4.

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing well.
See ya ;)

Last edited:

Cent0

Lieutenant Colonel
|K3| Member
awh man, not you too!
first MCFOE, then Sarg, mal, and u.
WHATT
don't take to long, but also, take yer time.
don't get some stupid connection where you have horrible econnedction

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
1st, is your laptop's WiFi "On"? (if you can see other WiFi broadcasts, then yes it's on)

2nd, when you say, it was a "Public" network, was it the neighbors? If so, they probably turned off the WiFi or just got rid of it (disconnected), or maybe the signal is there but it isn't broadcasting a name.

3rd, do you have interwebs at home? (I only ask cuz you mentioned public). If you do, do you have DSL? Cable?

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
i believe mcfoe had voluntary vagrancy problems, and is not looking to settle down again, meaning he will probably get interwebs.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
stfu, you don't know him.
stuf.
stuf

Man, cent you need to learn when to stfu, comments like this does nothing to help out people with their problems and it's just plain retarded, many times I see you as a 10 yr old because of crap like this...

Ok now City, yeah knowing the model of your router will help out a lot. The easiest way I know how to explain it is... your router has it's own internal IP address meaning that it has an IP, and any computer under it also has an IP address and none of them are the same, they can't be. My router is a Linksys and you can access the router just by typing in the IP address of the router in your browser, example would be 192.169.1.1 is the default for Linksys. It then will ask for a user name and password, which for Linksys I believe the user name you leave blank and the password is Admin.

Once your in the settings for the router you can edit them to suit your needs. I'm not sure why all the sudden you would not be able to see your router anymore from your laptop, maybe it got reset for some reason? Also, having Vista or Win 7 you don't need any kind of software to install for your connection to work, it should automatically pick up the signal from the router.

Having a router that broadcasts publicly and has no encryption IMO is not a good idea either, this means that anyone with a computer and wireless can use your internet that is within the distance of your router's broadcast strength. No only that but they also might be able to access any computer that is on your router too, meaning any computer that is "under" or connected to it, wired or wireless. Anyways let us know what you find out so we can help you out more, and I hope this helps a bit. :)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I deleted Cent0's post Blu. I agree it was completely stupid and pointless.

I think what Wally said was dead on. You were probably connecting to someones unsecured network and for w/e reason that network isnt broadcasting anymore. As Wally said, check and see if other networks are showing up. If you don't have any internet running into your house, the best thing to do is get some. Try taking your laptop to a wifi hotspot or a place that offers free wifi access and see if you can pick up their networks and get online. If so, that would eliminate some troubleshooting issues.

Also, as Blu said, you can access your routers IP and check all the settings. The router will have a different IP then your connection will. Keep us informed. Also, paying a fee to get troubleshooting advice from tech support doesn't seem right. Most companies websites have live chat support. To see available networks, just open the network sharing center or w/e its called and refresh/search w/e and it will bring up all the networks within range. Keep us informed.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Blu, connecting to the router via WiFi via the router's IP will only work if they're connected to it. If he's not, 192.168.1.1 will result in a dead page.

If he has a router, he should hardline the laptop to the router and then enter the router's IP.

PS. Linksys default username is: admin. PW is admin, as well.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Here is how to connect to NetGear routers, as I have done for a few (not saying this will work on all of them.. idk)

Did you try resetting the router? Hold the reset button for 10 seconds, it will set all router settings to factory defaults.

ethernet into your router.
Open a browser, go to routerlogin.net.Entering the IP address will take you to the same page. On both routers I have used, the default UN and PW were "admin" and "password," but it should be on the bottom of your router, along with the router's IP adress (should you need that when configuring the thing).

On routerlogin.net, make sure your wireless network is enabled. Check the settings and shit dooooood. LoL, that's all i got -.-

sorry.

EDIT: i just realized you were access an unsecured netgear router. The default SSID for netgear routers is like NetGear, NETGEAR, NETGEAR- NARU ..etc.

Last edited:

CiTyCHiLD

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Ohhh I get it. I think you're right. I bet I was connecting to a neighbors network and they turned it off or something.

I have two routers one is a NetGear router and the other is a Linksys router. I was thinking about using my Linksys one though. The model number to the Linksys one is WRT160N-V2. I've tryed to go to 192.168.1.1 and it did give me a dead page. I have to plug in my DSL cable first though right? Then it will send me to the page with all those settings which is the same page I can set a password for my network right?

I don't have a DSL cable yet, but after I post this, I will head to the store and get one. After I get the cable, I will log in here and follow the advice you guys gave me and give you an update.

Thanks for all your comments though it really helps.

Update: Thanks everyone it worked and Thanks for all you help I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
City, how many PC's/laptops do you have in your house that use internet? You need to plug the DSL cable through the router into your PC. Then the router beams signals all over the place and allows you to connect with other PCs/laptops in your house. If you don't secure the network, then others can connect using your network as well.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yep lots of great information here, seems like a lot of you guys know about networking too, lol.

I'm glad you got it figured out City, and @ Damage and I agree, you should certainly encrypt your network. You said you have the Linksys WRT160N, that's the exact same model my parents have too and if you do use it, secure it with the WPA2 method, that is the best encryption as for now on these wireless networks. If you do this make sure you pick a good password too, it's pointless to encrypt it and use the password "password" LOL, Cheers man!! :)

P.S. Thanks D for deleting the pointless post by cent, I'm going to do that next time he does something like that.

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
IMO, allowing access to only mac-addresses you know is more secure than a password.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
you mean 802.11n. That's a standard.

I was saying if you only allow mac-addresses to go onto your WiFi, you wont have any problems with others accessing or even hacking into your network.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
you mean 802.11n. That's a standard.

I was saying if you only allow mac-addresses to go onto your WiFi, you wont have any problems with others accessing or even hacking into your network.

What about mac address "spoofing"? If they do it this way they can get the mac address of your wireless computer and "fake" theirs to make it look like the same one, or am I wrong?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
What about mac address "spoofing"? If they do it this way they can get the mac address of your wireless computer and "fake" theirs to make it look like the same one, or am I wrong?

I'm sure it's possible but they'd have to 1st crack the router. Basically, once they cracked the router, they'd have all the mac addresses anyway.

edit:
nothing is safe. even if your router doesn't broadcast its name, I'm sure there are programs out there that can sniff these hidden networks, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom