Do you turn off your PC at night or ever?

Do you shut off your PC/laptop at night or ever?

• Total voters

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Just read an article asking, should you turn the computer off at night?

I've created a poll to see what you guys do. I personally turn everything off but the home server. No sleep or hibernate mode for me. My main reason for that is because the PC is in my bedroom and come summer time, it only makes the room hotter. The few LEDs that are on also brighten up the room. At my old house, I occasionally left it on at night but I've always preferred to turn it off.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I turn my pc off at night. If it's on too long, it just goes to sleep. I'd rather not have my HDDs die early from spinning 24/7 (the power off HDD option just drives me bonkers). That, and it's better on the power bill.

Garycheese

The Bringer Of Cheese
|K3| Member
I always turn it off at night, apart from when im downloading a game or something then i leave i over night due to my 1gb an hour down speed

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
i use sleep cuz it takes so long to boot up...i didnt know the HDD's kept soinnig during sleep tho :thinking:

mousquet

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
I turn off my PC for night, but never turn off net router to have wi-fi access for mobile devices.

King_JCD

|K3|'s Sprite King
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I rarely turn off my macbook at night (or ever) unless I just finished a huge cg render and I wanna give it a break

null

and void
|K3| Member
I only keep my personal computer on when I'm using it. However, I run a linux desktop at work and think my uptime on that thing is approaching one year... And yes, I have taken package and kernel updates in that time. Linux ftw!

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I probably should, but I don't.

My entire family doesn't either. Even my extended family, lol.

I didn't know that it risked the health of my system. But with a non-ssd boot drive, it takes like 3 minutes to get to the log in screen and then another 10 to run smoothly.

I'm seriously considering getting an SSD this year...

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I've had my current build for almost five years now. For the first 3 1/2 or so years i almost never turned it off. Now, i just put the PC into sleep mode when i go to bed, but i very rarely power it down or reboot.

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
@NickHouston Use sleep mode it boots immediately to log in screen and keeps programs open Also only uses 5 times as much power as being off (on average). SSDs are getting a lot cheaper you could pick up like a 64 and only put os and one or two programs and get some k00l benefits. IT'S WORTH

RHK

RyouKiriyami
only when i have to. it doesnt hurt anything :p and i can fall asleep watching movies

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
My PC reboots itself when it needs Windows updates. She doesn't really need me to do it for her.
I put her in sleeping mode every night, so I just have to click the mouse the next day. :K

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I forgot about windows updates. Mine used to reboot itself every 3 days. I lost so much work...

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
This little thing forces it to reboot
tSA8Gif.jpg

Drove me bonkers. That's why I disable the automatic updates and just update every few days on my own.

Top Bottom