Coming out as Atheist.

Kessa

|KKK|'s Sheep Herder
Former Krew Member
I've recently told my family that I've been agnostic/atheist for about 10 years now(half of my life). They responded with nothing but hatred. They're trying to turn my younger cousins against me by sayong things like "Nick doesn't believe in Christmas so Santa isn't coming to your house this year". No matter what I do, as soon as they walk into a room that I'm in, they mutter something about atheism and insult me somehow.

If you're planning on telling your Christian family that you're Atheist, I would strongly advise against it. Or, if you don't mind the people you love hating you to the point that you now want to move out, then go ahead and tell them.

I'm sure it isn't just with Christians, pretty much any religious family is going to think your the child of Satan since you don't believe in God anymore. But I think the main reason why they respond like this is because they're worried you may end up in 'hell' one day or that they think without religion you'll become a rebel :D

No matter what though, remember that whatever you believe in- it's what YOU believe in. I sure do admire your courage to reveal your true beliefs though! :)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
pretty much any religious family is going to think your the child of Satan

Sorry, couldn't resist.

063-85612l.jpg

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I'll give the thread a read, but you coming out is a good thing. Stick to your guns.

Believing in something because someone else believes in it strongly, or because convinces you to believe it with strong rhetoric will always be a regret, my friend.

You will believe what you will.

I think you are generally a good person. Exercise self-doubt and compassion. Try to be patient with yourself and family members. Your learning process and your growth as a person is very scary for your parents, too. They are just older versions of you, only they have you as a kid. It's scary for them. As you get older, you will recognize that these people who are hating on you are just as scared, ignorant, and bewildered as you are about the world.

Compassion in the face of hatred, my friend.

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I'm guessing some people have warned you of going down the "wrong path." (or whatever dogmatically preserved phrase best fits)
A just, loving God (for those who are Christian) recognizes that, and will not turn you away.

My point is....

Do not fret. You are a good dude. Your dad is a good dude. He loves you. Your beliefs about God as you express them in a couple sentences to your parents are as nothing compared to your general goodness as a person. You're a good guy, and being agnostic or atheist isn't gonna change that. Just be as good as you can be, my friend, and these people will see it. We are all a scared herd of wanderers.

As for how to approach this diplomatically.....

Smile a lot and be compassionate. You'll be doing most of the work. Lead your hateful family members to understanding you.
Use their teachings as a guide. As far as I know, in good protestant Christianity, hate is a sin. To condemn your fellow man is to assume the omnipotence of God. Your family should accept you and love you for who you are. That is what Christ would do. That is what the Bible teaches. Use those teachings to meet your family half way.

Go live it, bud.
[DOUBLEPOST=1419569657][/DOUBLEPOST]
Westboro Baptists Anyone? They're the name that people know when they think of Christians.

This is wrong.

The world is big and complex. Christianity has its roots in almost every immigrant family to this country. The Church feeds on ignorance. THere are many many people who know how ludicrous the church is and how ugly it is in the face of real Christianity.

I myself was raised a Lutheran. I was confirmed. I did my service.

The things I hold from that time are some of the best teachings the Bible and the Church have to offer, and I regard the Church to be a good organization at its best, and a horrid one at its worst..... Just like anything involving humans.

I take from the teachings of Christ and the Bible many things, and I do not believe in a God.
And the Westboro Baptist Church pretty much goes against all that.
And I know there are many people who think like me.

Voodoo

Official Zombie Pariah
My dad brainwashed me into agnosticsm, taught me to be objective, rational, be understanding of any other beliefs and always be willing to change my beliefs should conflicting evidence be available.

I will probably continue this cycle of brainwashing with any kids I have.

o7 dad
u da real mvp

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
My dad brainwashed me into agnosticsm, taught me to be objective, rational, be understanding of any other beliefs and always be willing to change my beliefs should conflicting evidence be available.

I will probably continue this cycle of brainwashing with any kids I have.

o7 dad
u da real mvp
You must like Dr Pepper then.

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
Kinda glad I've been accepted as an atheist. Altough that might not be strange in a country where less than 50% are actually Christians. :K

Religion is poison if you ask me.

religion.jpg

Top Bottom