Coming out as Atheist.

PR3C1Z10N

Sergeant
|K3| Member
Nick, the Christian faith does not condone rejection. Those who reject you, are rejecting the grace of God. Their hatred stems from thinking God's grace as being something puny. I can only imagine that I understand the feeling you have, but remember, the true Church is not to be hateful towards unbelievers. (When I say true Church I don't mean some "special denomination" or some such nonsense, but rather, those who are actually saved).

"On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink." That is obviously something that is easier said than done, but it is the proper idea.

I have been raised Christian, but not as a merely moralistic Christian. Churches across the world are sacrificing the truth of the Gospel for life advice. This doesn't mean that Christianity is devolving. It simply means that more heresies are being spread.

Nick, we've all sinned. The more I look at myself, the more I see how putrid I am. Christianity requires perfection. It does. The "catch" is that it's not me that has to be perfect. Jesus was perfect for me.

I have a challenge for you. Try to go one day without doing one thing that feels wrong. ONE THING. At the end of the day, if you've felt you've done perfectly, then you are much different from everyone else on earth. If you have done or thought something wrong, then you need someone who can appease the debt that you have incurred.

The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23).

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Today I expressed that I did not want to partake in a ceremony for a religion I don't believe, the indoctrination of a baby into Christianity(a Baptism)
Wait a sec.. Because you don't like the religion, you aren't going to partake in something that's important to a family member because they have different beliefs than you do?

I may or may not like other religions/beliefs, but if one of my family members convert to a different religion and I get invited to whatever ceremony they got going on, I'll definitely go. Don't get me wrong, religion is one thing that you can support. But to me, supporting whatever my family members like is what matters the most.

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
After reading all this I feel I need to weigh in a bit..
1st thing- I raised all my kids on religious choice, I never cared what they wanted to be, be it Christian, Catholic, Jewish, etc. I always felt that was not my decision, it was thiers, when they are ready to make the choice, they would make it. As a Father I didn't advertise any particular religion in the house. I personally am not particularily religious. I actually hate organized religion and have my own beliefs that basically span all religions..

With that being said I'll now say this. Nick was told several weeks ago that his cousin was due home from the military with his baby son and wife for the holidays. Sunday was the boys Baptism, a 10 minute ceremony that even I didn't mind attending. The day before Nick's sister asked him what he was wearing to the church and if he needed her to go to thier Mom's to get some clothes. He said he wasnt dressing up he was going in jeans and a Tee Shirt, which we all felt would have been disrespectful to the family. They argued. My daughter threatened to throat punch him (she thinks she's a badass) and Nick informed us at that point he was an atheist and has been one for 10 years and should not have to attend a service he didnt believe in. I then stated that he attends church with his Mom every Christmas, what's the difference? Nick stated that he does that to make his Mom happy. So I guess Nick is only interested in making his Mom happy these days.

After some thought I told Nick he didnt have to attend the service but was going to the party anyway. I didnt know anyone was "abusing" Nick at the time but that will be addressed by me later this week both with his sister and with his cousins. As Wally stated above, no matter what your beliefs, family is family.. and for the record, nobody is rejecting Nick, they are teasing Nick, but at times he's too thin skinned to believe that..

Thats all.. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas

Nikon

カメラマン
|K3| Member
Nick, it is unfortunate that you had such a reaction. I obviously don't know the situation with your family so after a reading through some of the comments here, there are just a couple things I wanted to say.

1. Don't paint us all with the same brush (or any group for that matter). I often hear/see people attack an entire group (mainly Christians) because of one bad incident. I personally have friends that have gone from Christian to Atheist. One of them has beliefs that are polar opposites to mine yet we agree to disagree, carry on with our lives, and we treat each other with the same respect and understanding as before. I also know countless other Christians who do the same. So Nick, I will have to disagree with you when you tell others not to tell their family. Everyone and every family is different and they all act in a different way. I'd say its better than trying to put on a face and hiding things.

2. Don't act like this is something only Christians do. I have hear of cases where even Atheists have disowned family members for becoming Christian or accepting another religion. This is not a "christian" problem, it is a problem found in every country, on every continent, and within every religion and also with those who reject them. This is not a "christian" problem, or religious problem, it is a problem with degenerate humanity.

Nick, though this may not mean anything to you, I will be praying for you and your family. I hope you and your family are able to have a joyous time this Christmas season.

Sabali_2

IT-support guy
|K3| Member
There has been this thing going in Finland that will gay marriage be allowed (and yes it is going to be), but christians over here got crazy; i think they somehow forgot that homosexuals are human beings too and same human rights belong to them like all. But those things christians said to homosexuals, got me into some kind of shock; they called homosexuals bag of shit, unhuman etc. and I am not going to mention the nastiest shit they said towards gay people, it's almost like homosexuals are not human to christians.

What comes to your situation Nick, respond to it with kindness and patience. It is the only way to get through it. Even though they are not positive towards you, try to be as much possible positive towards them, show them that you've not changed that you're still that same guy you were before. Do not let their ignorance get into you, because when ignorance is our master, there is no possibility for real peace. Bear witness to their suffering (yes in their mind they are suffering because you've left so called haven.), be compassionate and kind, respond with tranquility.

The basic principles and precepts of all true religions are very pure. What you see as impure is simply the inability of those who adhere to them. - Gyatrul Rinpoche

Last edited:

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
I think it's about time that I come out.
For those who already don't know, I'm a Christian. :p
And I get rejected every day, by my family, friends, and people that don't even know me. So, what you're going through happens both ways, Nick. No matter is it's teasing or people actually offended by your beliefs.

It's important for the real Christians to remember that church is a hospital for sinners, not a hotel for saints. That, combined with what Drew said, combined with the way Jesus lived, is wrapped up in the most important commandment (Mark 12:30-31):

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”

So there is no excuse for a person who claims that they are Christian to be hateful or spiteful towards anyone else (jokingly or not), since after all, we go through the same problems as other people.

Nick and anyone else who feels down or angry about the unneeded condemnation received by simply having different beliefs, I encourage you to see the positive side of every situation, knowing that there is a small number of people in the world that care for you no matter what you believe in.

Merry Christmas, Krew!

PR3C1Z10N

Sergeant
|K3| Member
they called homosexuals bag of shit, unhuman etc. and I am not going to mention the nastiest shit they said towards gay people, it's almost like homosexuals are not human to christians.
You can't group everyone who calls themselves "christian" into the same box. The same goes for any religion. e.g. (Not all muslims are radical terrorists.) I don't view homosexuals as inhuman, or as an fouler than the rest of us. In the proper Christian view, homosexuality is a sin, just like adultery, or stealing. As the mantra goes, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I agree, but it's difficult these days. I see so, so much of it from Christians/Catholics that it's hard to ignore. It just seems so pervasive. I wish more "Christians" were like the people on this forum.

In fairness, It's easy to get jaded.

Deluxx3

The Stig
|K3| Member
Well all of my family is Christian, in fact my father is a pastor and probably the greatest man I know. There was a time in my life when I didn't believe that there was a God at all and that the Bible was written thousands of years ago by some alcoholics who drank too much wine. And despite that, my father still loved me all that he could and his views on me didn't change one bit. He said that I can believe in everything there is, because ultimately it is my choice to 'find' him and whether or not I want that 'relationship.' So I think it's different for different families, but the fact that your family is turning all against you is just simply ridiculous and inhumane. Anyway, I wish you best of luck! And even if you don't believe in God I'm still gonna pray for you and your family - if that's alright :) Anyway, stay strong and stand up for what you believe :)

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
I agree, but it's difficult these days. I see so, so much of it from Christians/Catholics that it's hard to ignore. It just seems so pervasive. I wish more "Christians" were like the people on this forum.
A lot of people are. That's the thing. You rarely hear a Christian be praised for not getting angry, all you hear is, "CHRISTIANS AREN'T LOVING" and such from the media.

Westboro Baptists Anyone? They're the name that people know when they think of Christians. One exception is the current Pope. He's done wonders to help change the world's view of Christians. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but I do think the media is very, very selective of what gets reported. And it's not just with Christians, that's the thing. Think about the media's view of Islamic people. All you hear about is Islamic extremists. People who represent less than 5% of the total population. Why not report on the other 95% of GOOD people out there...

/rantending I don't like the news, which is why I just don't watch it. I'm not up to date with things and so this may have changed since I last watched anything. But whatever, 95% of people aren't cared about, just the 5% that do stupid stuff.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
It's not really the media i pay attention to, but rather the comments i read from people calling themselves Christians or w/e. I see a LOT of vile things said and a lot of hate. That said, in fairness, as i said, it's easy to get jaded by it.

I despise the media as well, especially after the reporting on recent issues, such as Ferguson and the push for legalizing Marijuana. So much disinformation , race baiting, stirring the pot etc. It's disgusting. But, the media is a business like any other, and any business needs a customer base.

I've tried to find unbiased sources of news, but it's impossible. Almost every place panders to one mindset or another, and their articles are slanted to their consumer base. In fact, i think alternative news sites are a lot worse than mainstream.

PR3C1Z10N

Sergeant
|K3| Member
I have to say, this clan is DA BEST! It's very hard to find a group of people who can talk about subjects that have started wars, and not get ticked off.

Heheh...search a Christian or evolutionist Youtube comment board for an example. XD

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I have to say, this clan is DA BEST! It's very hard to find a group of people who can talk about subjects that have started wars, and not get ticked off.

Heheh...search a Christian or evolutionist Youtube comment board for an example. XD

Youtube.......is full of idiots.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
This is true.

Don't show Drew the Yahoo! headline about the latest shooting in Missouri. Talk about race baiting and stirring the pot. :picard:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
:eyebrow:

Not quite. Just an agreement that echoed his feelings about the media. Why would i be trying to post something that stirs the pot? Makes no sense.

Top Bottom