New laptop...

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Welp this year my school emailed me telling I need to get a mac for my major, which is graphic design.

I bought the 15 inch MacBook Pro (The $2500 one, jeez that's expensive as crap).

It's primary use will be graphic design work and other school related stuff.

Any suggestions on programs or anything else for this mac? I'm brand new to this whole mac thing, any advice or anything is appreciated.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Welcome to the other side! I'm jelly of your MacBook Pro! :gg:

Mac App Store:
Keynote: PowerPoint version on Windows
Numbers: Excel ^^
Pages: Word ^^
Fairly certain they're free.

You'll probably also need Adobe Dreamweaver.
I never tried Pixelmator but that may be something that may be of interest to you.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Welcome to the other side! I'm jelly of your MacBook Pro! :gg:

Mac App Store:
Keynote: PowerPoint version on Windows
Numbers: Excel ^^
Pages: Word ^^
Fairly certain they're free.

You'll probably also need Adobe Dreamweaver.
I never tried Pixelmator but that may be something that may be of interest to you.

Pages, Numbers and Keynote all came pre-loaded.

Dreamweaver comes with the Adobe Creative Suite CS6 I bought. It's the Design and Web Premium package so it has all of the web design stuff like Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Illustrator.

Also, make no mistake. I'm still a PC guy. Now I just have both platforms. My PC is mostly for gaming anyways. This MacBook will be used for school mostly (and gaming at school :p ). Minecraft runs great btw!

I do have to say the colors are very, very nice and vivid on the MacBook screen.

SiloHunter

Condescending little prick
|K3| Moderator
IMO Inkscape is better than Illustrator. That is more of a preference than a Mac equivalent of a Windows program.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I would probably get a bulletproof case that was chained to my wrist. I could probably get a new hand on the black market cheaper than i could a new MBP.

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Yea D 2500 dollars can buy you a lot of books.. Which is probably something you would like to spend that amount of money on.
Nick won't, he spent it on something that supports his future. Quit the whining and be happy for him already..

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Yea D 2500 dollars can buy you a lot of books.. Which is probably something you would like to spend that amount of money on.
Nick won't, he spent it on something that supports his future. Quit the whining and be happy for him already..
:os:

I'd like to buy a new MBP, but feel that adding an SSD and more RAM would make it a new laptop. At least for another year or two. Mine's been running like a champ for 4-5 years now. Add another 2 years, then the price of the laptop isn't all that much.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive

Disclaimer: The author of these jokes hereby does apologize for any laughs that were incurred as a result of the aforementioned. Any derogatory ,disparaging, denigratory, deprecatory, disrespectful, demeaning, critical, pejorative, negative, unfavorable, uncomplimentary,unflattering,insulting, offensive, personal, abusive, rude, nasty, mean, hurtful, defamatory, slanderous, libelous or any other comment(s) made against the mighty superiority that is Apple or any product that contains the letters A, P, P, L or E is purely coincidental and unintentional. This author recognizes the greatness of the Apple name and profusely apologizes for any offenses taken due to his J.O.K.E.S .

P.S. Nick, I'm very happy for you.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Disclaimer: The author of these jokes hereby does apologize for any laughs that were incurred as a result of the aforementioned. Any derogatory ,disparaging, denigratory, deprecatory, disrespectful, demeaning, critical, pejorative, negative, unfavorable, uncomplimentary,unflattering,insulting, offensive, personal, abusive, rude, nasty, mean, hurtful, defamatory, slanderous, libelous or any other comment(s) made against the mighty superiority that is Apple or any product that contains the letters A, P, P, L or E is purely coincidental and unintentional. This author recognizes the greatness of the Apple name and profusely apologizes for any offenses taken due to his J.O.K.E.S .

P.S. Nick, I'm very happy for you.
hFA36B149

Thanks fuck face? o_O

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
best piece of hardware imo for that is the trash can. mac's have got better since they started using intel hardware etc so you can upgrade but their stuff is well over priced imo

EpicX

Private First Class
Lol, Mac. Weird that a college is telling you to buy the most overpriced computer known to man.
I could find a couple of Windows laptops that have marginally better specs, for $200-$500 less.

Regardless, good luck in school! :p

Top Bottom