@WorldPeace
Here's my eye prescription
EyePrescription_zps04d98cc4.jpg

Holy cow, I didn't realize I got that prescription in October 2010!! :eek:

Time to make an appointment ASAP!

WorldPeace

Corporal
|K3| Member
Your eye sight is actually not too bad. Let me explain the numbers (just in case you don't remember):

1. The +2.25 tells me you are farsighted by 2.25 diopters in both eyes. Things may appear slightly blurry, but not too bad. The higher the numbers, the worse it is. However, a value between 1-3 is considered not too shabby. Nearsightedness is designated by a negative number.

2. The -0.75 tells me you have astigmatism. Even if you are paired with the correct glasses prescription, if your optometrist do not make an accurate diagnosis on your "eye cylinder", your vision will still appear blurry.

3. The 095 tells me the orientation of your astigmatism. This value can be between 0 to 180 degrees.

The astigmatism between your right eye and left eye is slightly different. This is something that can be corrected by glasses or special contacts.

Since you are farsighted, lasik is best recommended for people in the age group of 40, 50 or 60. For nearsighted people, the age is slightly lower. For farsighted patients, there is about 20% of the population where after lasik surgery, they still need glasses to see clearly. Lasik in general is best recommended for patients who are nearsighted and without astigmatism because these patients will see the most dramatic visual improvement.

If I were in your position, I wait on getting lasiks and update your prescription so that your eyes won't be strained and your headaches will subside. In my opinion, your headaches is probably due to outdated prescription. In addition, using glasses to fix your astigmatism is a lot better than lasiks due to lower risk factors. Also, you want your vision to stabilize first before lasiks so that the likelihood of visual acuity change will be minimize post surgery.

I hope this helps!

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Excellent post! Many thanks :)

I've been wanting to do LASIK for some time now. Mostly because I hate having to wake up, and the first thing I need to grab is my glasses.

And I kinda knew I needed a new prescription but didn't realize my current prescription was that old. I'm definitely making an appointment for sometime next week. I'll post the numbers when I get them.

If the change isn't too drastic/worse, does it mean my eyesight has stabilized enough to get LASIK done?

WorldPeace

Corporal
|K3| Member
Yes, if the change isn't too drastic, that means your eyes have stabilized. The key to a successful lasik procedure and one that is long lasting is to have stabilized eye prescription.

Make sure to find a great surgeon to do the procedure when you are ready. The difference between a skilled and non-skilled surgeon will affect your overall result.

For example, a friend of mine had lasik before medical school. She is a 3rd year med student now and needs glasses again because the amount of studying required in medical school has caused her vision to become even worse. This sucks due to how expensive lasik procedures are.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Are you an eye Dr?

I just had a full diabetic eye exam a few weeks ago. Even though my left eye is pretty blurry on it's own (been that way for 20 years) the Dr. Said i had excellent eyesight and my eyes were in great shape.

I did not like having my eyes dilated. Couldn't see shit for like two hours. Went to the store afterwards and had to leave because i couldn't read any of the damn labels.

WorldPeace

Corporal
|K3| Member
Hey Damage INC. No, I am not an optometrist or a ophthalmologist. However, I am schooling/training on becoming an orthopedic surgeon in the near future.

In regards to diabetic eye exam, there are several diseases associated with diabetes. In fact, people with daibetes has a higher risk of going blind if left untreated. A few of these more notable diseases are glaucoma, retinopathy and cataracts. Let me briefly explain what they are.

1. Glaucoma is caused by an increase in pressure in one of the eye chambers (more specifically the anterior chamber where aqueous humor drainage is slowed or significantly decreased). The build up in pressure increases the forces that are impinging on the retinas and the optic nerves (both located against the back wall of the eyes). If the pressure on the retina and the optic nerve is not addressed, cellular death can occur. The retina contain the Rods and Cons (Rods detect black and white vision and Cons detects color vision) and converts the light signal (or aka: photon molecules) into nerve impulses. The Optic Nerve carries these same nerve impulses into the brain. Once in the brain, these nerve impulses are converted into an image.

2. Diabetic Retinopathy can commonly be divided into three categories. First Category is Non-Proliferative Retinopathy, which is the pouching of the capillaries in the retina. The pouching eventually causes the blood flow to be blocked and this can lead to retinal tissue death and blindness if untreated. Second Category is Proliferative Retinopathy, which occurs when the capillaries are severely blocked and new capillaries are formed. However, the new capillaries are weak and leaks blood into the eye. If severe enough, the coagulated blood will block light from entering the eye and patients lose their visions. So in basic terms, proliferative retinopathy involves bleeding out and non-proliferative retinopathy do not. Third Category is Macular Edema, which is swelling in the areas of the eye where light focusing occurs. The swelling in Macular Edema is caused by leaky blood vessels as well. It is important to seek medical treatment if Diabetic Retinopathy is suspected since no treatment can almost certainly lead to permanent blindness.

3. Cataracts are clouding of the lens in the eyes. Light travels into the eye and hits the retina by first passing through the lens. Clouding of the lens reduces this and causes decrease in vision. It is important to understand that cataracts can develop independently of diabetes and is commonly associated with aging. However, diabetic patients have a 60% higher chance of developing cataracts when compared to health patients and it also occurs at an earlier age for diabetic patients.

In regards to your doctors visit: When your doctor dilates your eyes, he/she is examining your retina and the optic nerves. In addition, If your doctor said you have perfect vision and excellent eyesight, but your left eye is blurry, you may have astigmatism. Did your doctor check for that as well?

When your doctor dilates your eyes, what your doctor did was dilating your pupils. Your pupils controls how much light enters your eye and hits the retina. Your pupils functions like the aperture setting of a camera. When the pupil is dilated, too much light enters your eye in an unrestricted fashion and your retina cells becomes overly saturated with photons. This is why you can't see anything and if you force yourself to see under such intense brightness, your eyes will become watery. In addition, your eyes can't focus as well and that is why everything appears blurry.

Normally, your doctors should have given you sun glasses or something to filter out the excess light and recommend to you to not drive or walk about under the sun until your eye functions have normalized. Too much sun light entering your eyes can burn your retina and lead to blindness as well. Be careful next time.

I hope the information helps and you have a better understanding of whats going on when you visits your eye doctor the next time around.

Garycheese

The Bringer Of Cheese
|K3| Member
I want to see my eye sheet thing. My eyes are so bad. I can't see anything without them unless its practically touching my face.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Thanks for the long post, but I'm already very well versed in each and every complication associated with my Diabetes. I'm one of those diabetics that is extremely vigilant when it comes my blood sugar.

I was seen by two separate Dr's. I assume one was the optometrist and the second, i know, was the ophthalmologist. The exam lasted quite a while, so i think they checked for most everything since it was my first Diabetic exam, and my first eye exam in 20 years.

The ophthalmologist said they used twice as much of the dilating solution was needed. Lol.

They didn't mention anything about why my left was blurry and for some reason i didn't think to ask. All she said was 'you have excellent vision.' My left eye only blurs up when i close my right.

Last edited:

WorldPeace

Corporal
|K3| Member
Hey DamageINC. I see. I figure I write some of the more common complications out in case you were wondering. I didnt know you were diabetic, but as long as you keep a close eye on your HbA1C levels, I am sure you will be fine. =)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Lol.

Oh. I figured that me saying i went for a diabetic eye exam was self explanatory. And yes, my A1c is excellent. Last one (Dec) was 4.4. No meds/insulin.

Last edited:

Infinity17

Sergeant
|K3| Member
wow world that post of yours blew me away good luck with your studies think we see $$$$$ in your future m8

WorldPeace

Corporal
|K3| Member
Lol.

Oh. I figured that me saying i went for a diabetic eye exam was self explanatory. And yes, my A1c is excellent. Last one (Dec) was 4.4. No meds/insulin.

I see where the confusion was. Yeah, people at high risk for diabetes (i.e. family history, etc) undergo diabetic eye exams regularly as well. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1398719638][/DOUBLEPOST]
wow world that post of yours blew me away good luck with your studies think we see $$$$$ in your future m8

Thanks Infinity17! ;)

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
@WorldPeace I got a chance to go get my prescription today
Right - Sphere: -2.25 Cylinder: -0.50 Axis : 10
Left - Sphere: -2.50 Cylinder: -0.75 Axis: 170

I'll probably order glasses in a few days although I'd like to get lasik done soon, just not sure how soon.

WorldPeace

Corporal
|K3| Member
Nice. Well, your prescription seem pretty stable and so lasik should be fine. Just make sure you find a really good surgeon to do it.

Glasses will help to further stabilize your vision and so yes, get the glasses soon.

=)

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member

I'll probably order glasses in a few days although I'd like to get lasik done soon, just not sure how soon.

I've got a -2.50 in both eyes and going to get an evaluation done next weds for Lasik, and hopefully will be able to get it done on thursday. Right now I'm wearing glasses which sucks for someone who has worn contacts for 15 yrs lol, but if everything goes to plan I won't have to have either!! :D

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I've got a -2.50 in both eyes and going to get an evaluation done next weds for Lasik, and hopefully will be able to get it done on thursday. Right now I'm wearing glasses which sucks for someone who has worn contacts for 15 yrs lol, but if everything goes to plan I won't have to have either!! :D
Oh sweet! How much is the procedure going to cost you? I've never liked contacts, mainly cuz the first time I tried, I never really liked poking my eyes XD.

Either way, looking forward to hearing your results, Blu :D

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
Used contacts on the free trial when skiing for a week a couple of years ago - Brilliant! Till then I hadnt realised how pretty the mountains were!!

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Oh sweet! How much is the procedure going to cost you? I've never liked contacts, mainly cuz the first time I tried, I never really liked poking my eyes XD.

Either way, looking forward to hearing your results, Blu :D

They quoted me about 4 grand and that includes both eyes, the eval and all appointments and corrections (if needed) for up to a year. As for contacts, I would pick them any day over glasses and trust me I know about the eye poking lol, you get use to it.

I'll certainly re-post and let you guys know how it goes, really looking forward to it!!

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member

Dammit. I had that written down on a card somewhere but I can't find it.
All I know is:
Right - Sphere: -8.00
Left - Sphere: -7.75

Top Bottom