Digesting food; food poisoning

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Not sure if there's some scientific fact out there, but lets open up the forum for some discussion. The reason for it is well, I started to get the runs sometime yesterday around noonish.

What I'm wondering is, say if I ate something that might have been spoiled or maybe my body didn't like it.. How long does the body start reacting to it? Mainly so I can pinpoint on which food I ate that made me get the runs.. I've heard it takes about 8-10 hours for your body to digest the food Like, when does your body say, "fuck this shit is nasty, let me make this all into liquid and get it outta the system"? Is it as soon as you eat it? While it's in your stomach or does it wait a few hours 'til it makes its way through the intestines?

Oh and I started getting nauseous sometime yesterday evening. This morning was kinda bad... Needs me some info on that too!

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
It's never taken 8-10 hours for that to happen to me. A while back i got some oyster or clam steamers (can't remember which) and they didn't agree with me. It only took a couple of hours for me to start having issues.

I thought it was a one time thing as I've never had issues with them before, so i made another batch a couple of days later. Same thing happened. Two or three later .....

mmnz

Sergeant
|K3| Member
there are many different foodborne illnesses and each has a different onset time to symptoms so you'd have to have the time between ingestion and the first symptom

Gage

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
depends on your metabolism bruh. Some have it fast, others have it slow. The time it takes to completely digest the food will differ from person to person.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
K, so that narrows it down to the beans with plantains I ate. XD

Still wonder how it affects you quite quickly. :thinking:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
plantains are cooking bananas right?....I've heard they can give you tummy problems if not thoroughly cooked

or maybe you're preggers

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
:yes:
plantains.jpg

Definitely not preggers XD

Finch

|KKK|'s Epic Chef
|K3| Member
I once had sushi the night before I went on a plane to Boston to see my gf.
I first felt alright but got stomach cramps at night and I think 30 minutes prior arrival I threw up but I had an old lady next to me patting my back so I had that going for me which is nice
And of the story: I stayed in bed the whole time :D

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
How long does the body start reacting to it?

When the nasty bacteria sitting in the food gets absorbed into your blood. So if it's on the surface of your food... such as if you dropped a steak on the floor and ate it.. you might get ill very quickly (1 hour).

If on the other hand it is digested late (the centre of the food) then it might take 8 hours.

Some food poisoning can causes vomiting + diarrhea.. some just one of the two. Logically speaking if you have diarrhea, i would have thought that your (poisoned) food has reached the large intestine before it got absorbed into the blood stream.

I dropped a chicken nugget a few weeks ago and picked it up and ate it. Had diarrhea and sickness for 4 whole days (there was no position i could lie or sit without my stomach hurting). :D

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
How long it takes for your body to process something varies greatly. Even for the same person, depending on things like how much exercise they have gotten that day, how much they have been eating, what time of day food was ingested, and what kind of food is being ingested. Also drugs like stimulants can speed up metabolism.

Also, like mmnz said, it would depend on the illness itself how long it took for symptoms to appear.

If it's just the runs, there could be any number of culprits. I get the runs if I don't eat very much and drink a lot of water on days that I go to the gym. I also get the runs when i eat really spicy food in large quantities. Spicy, painful runs.

Just thought I'd add that in there.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
I'm going to guess a stomach bug first, or bad food. I've had problems with mine for years now, still not sure what it is but I have done a lot of reading about it and that's what it sounds like to me. As for your body reacting to it, well for one if your allergic to something in the food your body will (should) respond very quick, or if you have some kind of autoimmune response. From what I have read it takes at LEAST 6-8 hours for you to digest the food and expel it, so if it happens as soon as you eat it then you have to go, it's not what you ate that's for sure.

Being nauseous also makes me think bad food or some kind of virus, I'm not sure if food alone will cause this but a virus sure would. If it was me I would wait a few days and see what happens, if all is good then prolly just a bug or food, if not I would go to the Dr. and get checked out for parasites, viruses, etc..., that's my two cents ;)

theGenius

|KKK|´s Dumbass
|K3| Member
your body can tell you pretty quickly that you ate something bad, i once ate a hotdog with old meat(i assume) somewhere in the middle of nowhere in slowenia late at night at a trainstation, i thought it tasted funny at first but dismissed it as" this is just how hotdogs taste around here" i felt kinda ill an hour later, 2 hours later i was already puking around. another guy i met at a hostel ate a gyros in serbia with old meat, he was puking blood all night, his trip was cut short.

bottom line, if something is REALLY BAD you will notice right away. if its a little bad, you might get a little stomachhurt after while, nothing to worry about tho. if you start puking blood, you might wanna consider visiting a doctor. better safe then sorry

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Thanks for the info everyone! The nausea stopped about last night or so after I ate a cup o'noodle. The runs have gradually slowed down.

Anyone know of a sure fire fix for both symptoms? Like eat a mint for the nausea?

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
Thanks for the info everyone! The nausea stopped about last night or so after I ate a cup o'noodle. The runs have gradually slowed down.

Anyone know of a sure fire fix for both symptoms? Like eat a mint for the nausea?
Alka-seltzer did the trick for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1398249595][/DOUBLEPOST]
your body can tell you pretty quickly that you ate something bad, i once ate a hotdog with old meat(i assume) somewhere in the middle of nowhere in slowenia late at night at a trainstation, i thought it tasted funny at first but dismissed it as" this is just how hotdogs taste around here" i felt kinda ill an hour later, 2 hours later i was already puking around. another guy i met at a hostel ate a gyros in serbia with old meat, he was puking blood all night, his trip was cut short.

bottom line, if something is REALLY BAD you will notice right away. if its a little bad, you might get a little stomachhurt after while, nothing to worry about tho. if you start puking blood, you might wanna consider visiting a doctor. better safe then sorry
trust your instincts :D

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
4 - 6 hours normally wally, but it depends on how nasty the offending item / s were! Dehydration very likely so get plenty plenty fluids, non alcho! lol. Symptoms persist beyond 24hs - go see da doc! (and for fuck sake go see the doc WAAAAY before you're puking blood!!)

Top Bottom