CoD4 config, Make Call of Duty 4 Smooth

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
The most important part of setting up your cod4 config (Configuration)are the console commands. To do this you need to run COD4 multiplayer, choose your account, go into options, game options, and Enable Console.

Now when you hit your ~ key the console will drop down. The settings you can get to in "options" are nothing compared to the literally thousands you have in the console. For your sake, we will only have you put the most important in your cod4 config.

/com_maxfps 125

One of the most important commands in cod4 is the FPS command, and Ill tell you why. You probably already know that more fps makes the game feel much smoother. What you might not know is that COD4 is based on the q3 engine and is designed to work at 125 FPS.What this means for you is that your going to have problems interacting with the game under 125 FPS. This can mean any thing from not being able to climb objects, or even bad hit detection during fire fights. The problem is your fps is set to 85 by default, lets fix it. Bring down you console and type "/com_maxfps 125" (with out "").
/cg_fov 80

Next up is the field of view command. FOV(field of view) is basically how much you can see on your monitor at one time. The higher the number the more you can see, which will give you a huge advantage over those who don't use this command. Default is 65 max is 80, to change it bring down your console and type "/cg_fov 80".

/r_drawdecals 1
Another helpful command is "r_drawdecals", set it to 1 for on and 0 for off. Its off by default, and don't be surprised if you turn it on then have to turn it off to get into certain servers. It basically cleans up some of the random paper and trash on the ground, and gives you an fps boost. But some servers want you to have bad fps and wont let you in unless its set to 0(note that the other commands will work fine on any server).

/maxpackets 100
Maxpackets next, this command command usually helps people who have good fps but bad hit registration. Default is 30 if your fps is set to 125 you should set maxpackets to this "/maxpackets 100".

/snaps 30
This command tells your cod4 server how many times to update positions of players, bullets ect per second. Default its 20 setting it to "/snaps 30" should make movement look smother and hits register better.

/r_drawsun 0
Disables the sun and a bunch of effects that is causes saving you a few fps.

/cg_brass 0
Turns off shell ejection. Not having to render them should send a few more fps your way, a good addition to your CoD4 config.

Important cod4 config console commands

/com_maxfps 125
/cg_fov 80
/maxpackets 100
/snaps 30
/r_drawsun 0
/cg_brass 0

==================
Next lets optimize the settings we can change in "Options". If you have a pc with powerful hard ware make sure you turn your settings up at least a little bit. you can actually lose FPS buy setting every thing to low with fast hardware.

Lets get started, go into options then graphics. Theres only a few settings that matter to you here, the rest you can turn off or leave at default.

Video Mode, if your using a LCD you should be at "1280x1024". Use what ever runs best for you on a CRT.

Brightness, crank it up about as bright as you can handle.

Model Detail, you want this setting as high as you can set it without losing lots of FPS. The higher you can set it the easier it is to make out player models from the background.

The rest of the call of duty settings are pretty much dictated by the hardware you have. If its good turn you cod4 settings up if its not ask Santa for an $800 video card. You can get by in cod4 with old hardware. You just have to crank all the settings down and use tricks like looking straight up in the sky to make 125 fps for certain jumps.

==============
http://progaming-tips.com/cod4-config.html

KateLove

Sergeant
Quick warning dude you might not like it if you like high graphics and if you dont like to play bright (brightness is for the dark spots on maps others might have. Low Graphics make it so you get more fps.) And also this config is normaly used for scrims. Tell me if you still want it.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
gimma config gad dangit. I get 30 - 45 fps normally, when i scope i get 25, when its grassy i get 15

KateLove

Sergeant
Glad i could help this config rocks but when i get a new computer i will make my own or modify the yitch config

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Makes dark spots bright? Sounds like an unfair advantage to me :p.

What kind a New PC are you getting Kat?

KateLove

Sergeant
Im getting a hp gaming computer 6.00 Gb of ram also a tera byte (dont know what this is)only thing that sucks with it is i will need to get a better vid card

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
lol, Well it's not much of a gaming PC without a good video card. Consult us before you buy anything so you don't overspend for something crappy. A lot of those prebuilt gaming PC's have crappy cooling and they fry. A terabyte is 1000 gigabytes. It's the size of the hard drive.

Top Bottom