How do you listen to music?

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Hey all,

I was sitting here listening to music and thinking "hey, I wonder how all my peeps in the krew listen to their music..."

I have music on like all the time. When I'm driving, when I'm playing. When I study. When I hang with people, we usually play music and fight over who gets to play the next track, rather than watch TV or something.

However, I also spend a good hour or so a day just sitting and listening to music. Giving it my whole attention. If I really wanna hear an album, I'll take it down to the tower speakers in the basement and sit on the couch and give it a listen start to finish (usually do this with albums that play from front to back really well)

Sometimes when i transcribe solos or whatnot, I will listen to the same track a bunch. But that falls into guitar practice, for me.

How do you guys listen to music? Do you ever just sit and listen for an hour or so? Or is music usually something that goes on WHILE you are doing something else?

I'm quite interested to know.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
Places I HAVE to have music on:
1. While having a shower (off my phone)
2. Cycling anywhere (in-ear headphone - it makes it fun + drowns out loud traffic noise)
3. Playing COD4 S1 (gets my adrenaline up :D)

If i've had a stressful day and I need to relax I get my big gaming headphones (amazing quality) and lie in bed with my eyes closed and the lights off. Stress drains right out of me :)

Places i NEVER have music on:
1. While walking/shopping
2. While i'm playing Tennis
3. Studying (I don't understand how people can study effectively with music blearing in their ears - i need complete silence)

mmnz

Sergeant
|K3| Member
yeah i have it on pretty much all the time, walking, working, in the car, at home, especially while drawing, it gets my imagination working

mmnz

Sergeant
|K3| Member
unless my roommate wants to watch tv with me, i get home and first thing i do is go upstairs and turn on music, so sometimes im just sitting

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Hell yea, dude. When I was smokin weed, one of my favorite things to do was do take a nice toke and then sit back with my headphones on a new (or old fave) album.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I listen to music only while I'm doing something else. Never listen to it just because.

I don't listen to music while I play. Rather hear the gunshots and warfare going on.
90% of the time while I'm on the PC, just browsing the net, music is playing.
Used to listen to music while showering when we had our own place.
Music has to be playing while I drive, unless I'm in the mood to just listen to my car purr. Now that there, is a good sound!

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Yea when I have music playing while I'm doing something else, it's usually mindless.... edm or something. Driving music, ya know? I also listen to NPR in the car, though. I usually stick the tunes on when NPR is boring or about salad-making... something that happens all too often.

I still burn CD's for the car XD

Jana

Banana!
|K3|Super-Moderator
Recruitment Team
You guys ever just sit and listen? That used to be the thing to do.

I do. Especially when a new album of my favourite band (e.g. Sonata Arctica) is released. Then I sit down and listen and give it my full attention.
I also focus on songtexts, solos in a song (guitar) and all that stuff.

But I also listen to music while doing something: Cleaning my room, washing the dishes, gaming and so on.
And I never leave my flat without my headphones. Even if I just walk to the supermarket nearby.
When i use public transport I really like listening to music. It disctracts me and sometimes it´s like movies playing to songs in my head :D

Dunial

Metal Master
|K3| Member
Sometimes I also sit and listen. It's the best way to relax if you sit somewhere in your room and listen to your favourite band. After I always feel much better, music is very important to me. I usually listen to music while playing cod4, while sitting in the bus. Or i make my own music with my guitar ;)

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
Walking, driving, chillin, on the bus, in class. Pretty much all the time.

Deluxx3

The Stig
|K3| Member
Mostly I listen to music through my headphones. So I have a FiiO E11 portable amp for my iPhone and the headphones that I use w/ it are white ATH-M50s.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
I had an interview for a job recently and to stop me being so nervous I listened to this on the train:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I was really asking how do you listen. Like what do you do with your music?

Do you sit on the couch and give the music your full attention?

Do you listen to music while you work out?

Do you only listen in the car?

Do you put music on when people come over as something to go on in the background? OR do you all sit and talk about it and listen to it?

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I pretty much have music on all the time as well. When I'm browsing the net, reading (sometimes) , to fall asleep to, while on the treadmill, while playing MC and sometimes just siting and giving albums a serious listen.

I have music that suits every emotion or state of mind and adjust accordingly. Music is very important for me, and not just something 'that's on.' I'm not a casual listener.

MelRose

Master Sergeant
|K3| Member
Recruitment Team
I listen to music for hours every single day. I am absolutely crazy in love with everything about music. I am so fascinated by how songs come together. The passion that is put into it both musically and lyrically.

I find that certain things put me in moods for different music. I have playlists for almost everything.

When one of my favorites has a new album out, I give it my full attention. I do nothing else but focus on the songs. This takes more than one playthrough as there is just so much to take in with music.

I also just love getting lost in music. I know this is weird but sometimes music is so amazing, it exhausts me. I start thinking about the story that must be behind the music and lyrics. I get lost in how it all comes together and am in awe at how music is something that connects people that have never and will never meet.

Some of my favorite moments come from listening to music while I'm writing or otherwise occupied, then hearing this song that blasts it's way through my thoughts. Like, yes! This song is meant to not just be listened to but also heard.

Books are my life's passion but listening to music fuels my every day.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
dude fucking awesome last 2 posts.

I feel the same way. Music speaks to me in a very deep way. It's on the same level as how I try and figure out what's going on with life all the time. Music speaks to me right there.

@MelRose - Those are my favorite albums. The ones made as albums. It's like a story you are getting told. You're supposed to sit and listen to the details. You don't want to miss anything.

It makes me sad that music is going the way of the single, or the few popular tracks from different artists. Less and less is there the album mentality. We're losing the story.

Top Bottom