Brewing beer

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
So today TheDude is taking on a new venture.

Today I begin my first batch of beer. I got some warrior hops and a bunch of grain.

The plan is to make a double IPA.

Anyone here ever brewed? Got some tips? Share some experiences? Pics, and whatnot?

Still can't decide what to call my first brew.

theGenius

|KKK|´s Dumbass
|K3| Member
DudesBrew
the beer that turns a man into a philosopher

or
Dude Original
Brings out the Dude in you

or
Dudes Finest
from Dude, for Dudes

tipp for brewing: use warm fermentation, it goes faster.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Boiling the grain @ 145-152 degrees F

Straining the grain. This is the base of the beer. It's called wort. Also straining 5 more quarts of water through.

And here's the wort.

And now we boil it for 75 minutes....

and add these little guys in 3 stages. Warrior hops. Suh gud bruh

Then cool it down to 70 degrees, add the yeast, and set up a blow-off tube.

And leave it in the basement for a couple of days until the next fermentation stage!

:woot: ![DOUBLEPOST=1393911513][/DOUBLEPOST]PS anyone know why the images aren't workin?

Last edited:

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
Brewed from kits b4, but never anything as adventurous as this mate! Look forward to hearing bout the results!

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Well right now she's bubbling away. Should I mail you a pint??? XD

I ran the wort through the grain a little over 3 times, so that's why there is extra sediment. I'm hoping this will increase the alcohol content too. I save the majority of the hops for late addition to help balance the beer because of this. Warrior hops ROCK, too. I'm just hoping I didn't mess anything up.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
It is highly possible that I will do a krew event and mail someone a bottle of the brew. This is, of course, like 5-6 weeks away.

MB I'll call the next one the "Krew Brew" !!!!!!!!!

theGenius

|KKK|´s Dumbass
|K3| Member
It is highly possible that I will do a krew event and mail someone a bottle of the brew. This is, of course, like 5-6 weeks away.
5-6 week??? u use cold fermentation?
we should have a krewcomp about who gets a pint of dudesbrew XD

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I have it between 60-70 F. Is that cold?
Once this initial fermentation is done, I will be adding the airlock and sticking it away for about 2 weeks, then I will bottle it and add the sugar (i will use honey) and get the carbonation going in the bottles. The bottles will sit for another 2 weeks.

theGenius

|KKK|´s Dumbass
|K3| Member
I have it between 60-70 F. Is that cold?
Once this initial fermentation is done, I will be adding the airlock and sticking it away for about 2 weeks, then I will bottle it and add the sugar (i will use honey) and get the carbonation going in the bottles. The bottles will sit for another 2 weeks.
no thats warm fermentation, very warm actully! warm fermentation usually takes around 3 weeks, thats why i asked.
if you want lager u would need about 40F, usual cold fermentation is around 50F.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Okay. Sweet. Yea the real fermentation period will be for about 2.5 weeks starting today.

Then I add the honey and bottle it and cap it. This adds to the carbonation and finishes the fermentation process.

I'm just hoping I didn't get any little microbes in my gear.

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member

MB I'll call the next one the "Krew Brew" !!!!!!!!!
Can we get a pipeline laid?? lol[DOUBLEPOST=1393960417][/DOUBLEPOST]
Okay. Sweet. Yea the real fermentation period will be for about 2.5 weeks starting today.

Then I add the honey and bottle it and cap it. This adds to the carbonation and finishes the fermentation process.

I'm just hoping I didn't get any little microbes in my gear.
Yeah - Im betting seriously clean kit is critical to the end product

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
So it's been 2 weeks. My airlock worked quite well.

Used this siphon to take the brew and put it into this pot to mix with the honey/water mixture I made. The sugar in the honey is what feeds the carbonation process during the next 2 weeks.

j5vax7B.jpg

RYbqij9.jpg

And then use the same siphon to get them into bottles. Put on non-twistoff caps with a capper. Now I let them sit in the basement in the dark for 2 more weeks :)
SJ4tBC4.jpg

I only got 9 bottles :(

But this beer will be a little over 7% ABV. I can already tell it's not as hoppy as I'd like. It's more of just a strong ale than an IPA, tastewise.[DOUBLEPOST=1395429100][/DOUBLEPOST]Thinking about mailing someone a bottle if it's good.

Last edited:

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
mememememememe!!!!

We need to work on upping your output bro - 9 bottles aint no party! Like the re adding of the hops tho should give it a nice finish.

Cant wait to hear bout the taste test. Will you have to check all 9 bottles to make sure of a uniform quality?? hic!

Top Bottom