YotaPhone

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
O3NwiTm.jpg

te5UvJE.jpg

http://yotadevices.com/#yotaphone

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/5450258/yotaphone-e-ink-dual-display-prototype-smartphone-photos

YotaPhone is an Android smartphone with a regular touchscreen on one side and an E Ink display on the other. It's been around for well over a year now, and in our time with previous prototypes we've been impressed with its premise, if not Yota Devices' execution. At MWC this year, the Russian carrier-turned-manufacturer is showing off an all-new prototype it believes solves many of the original model's flaws.

The new YotaPhone improves over its predecessor in many ways. The original's 4.3-inch 720p display is now a 5-inch 1080p unit, and its blocky corners have been replaced with smooth curves. All of the specs you'd expect to improve have: it has a quad-core processor in place of a dual-core, a thinner profile, a lower weight, and runs the latest version of Android. Its E Ink display is also massively improved; it's larger, has smaller bezels, higher pixel density (up from 170ppi to 235ppi), and is far more integrated into the overall design. It's so integrated, in fact, that when the E Ink display is showing a black image it's almost impossible to tell the display apart from its surrounding bezels.

JrdEJhf.jpg

Basically it's a phone with a normal LCD display in the front and an e-ink display at the back, which is usually only used in e-readers & some smartwatches.

So, what do you think of it? Personally I quite like it and can't wait for full reviews.

Storky

Rawr
|K3| Moderator
Recruitment Team
Don't wanna be pessimistic but if you drop it, either one of your screens will get fucked.

MikeK

Vodka supplier
|K3| Member
Don't wanna be pessimistic but if you drop it, either one of your screens will get fucked.
I've dropped mine (an iPhone 4 that I've had for over 3 years) dozens of times, I only have a couple of scratches on the other side.
Plus, Yota is Russian. It will either be as firm as a brick or will fall into 9000 pieces as soon as you drop it for the 1st time (you can never tell before you try it)
:K

Last edited:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
whats the advantage of the second screen? the only thing i miss about my droid is the little green led telling me i have a message..
so the e-ink side is always on with your notifications so you dont have to turn on the screen to check stuff?
pretty neat

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
The e-ink displays are pretty cool. I looked at my dad's kindle one day and it looked like a drawing.

It'd be cool to have that on the back of a tablet so you get an e-reader and a normal tablet in one device.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
The e-ink displays are pretty cool. I looked at my dad's kindle one day and it looked like a drawing.

It'd be cool to have that on the back of a tablet so you get an e-reader and a normal tablet in one device.

Do Kindle's read and feel exactly like reading a real book? I'm really debating getting one for reading, but i won't have a chance to test it out beforehand.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Do Kindle's read and feel exactly like reading a real book? I'm really debating getting one for reading, but i won't have a chance to test it out beforehand.
That's a question for my dad. I just saw it once lol. In my short experience it did look alot like a book page though.

Top Bottom