How to not worry about lightning strikes

AVC

Banned
I was talking to Blu the other night about how his house was having close lighting strikes and whether he had protection, and how my place has overkill protection. He wanted to see it, so here it is:

This is a "normal" household switchboard.
switchboard.jpg

Well, I don't do normal.
This is our mains board in the meter box:
IMG_0799.jpg

And the 3 modules on the left are the primary lightning protection modules:
IMG_0800.jpg

they break the main impulse current to a more manageable level so the surge arrestor board can handle it. They have their own dedicated earth stake.
A "normal" one would look like this:
HomeEarthRodAustralia1.jpg

It has about a 2.5mm cable. Sometimes they are attached to a water pipe.

This is mine: ( one of the two)
IMG_0801.jpg

Then we go inside the basement area to the main distribution board and the surge arrestor board:
IMG_0805.jpg

Inside view of the surge board:
IMG_0804.jpg

Inside the main dist board. I like a lot of circuit separation. Nothing worse that having 11 people over for a LAN and the wife comes home and turns on the kettle. All you hear then is a collective "ooohhhh" and the spinning down of hard drives, LOL
IMG_0803.jpg

The big rotary switch is the red phase alternate supply switch. All the essential equipment is on one phase with a generator backup (PCs, fridge, lighting, hot water)
IMG_0807.jpg

Plus we have UPSs at the two PCs (not the laptops) to bump up or down the voltage and protect from any in-house spiking (like if a motor blows up)

So it'll pretty much take a direct hit. Just got to finish my labelling.

AVC

Banned
Wire mess? C'mon theres two cables yet to be terminated and the finger duct lids are all off.

I love my DeWalt cordless tools. The radio doubles as a battery charger too.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Wire mess? C'mon theres two cables yet to be terminated and the finger duct lids are all off.

I love my DeWalt cordless tools. The radio doubles as a battery charger too.

i was joking lol

dewalt tools suck arse so bad man. when it breaks in a week pull it apart and look what motors they have in there and im sure you will not be buying the over price rubbish again. Makita and Bosch is where its at for tool

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Man AVC I'm stunned, that's an awesome setup (don't care what anyone else says, lol)

I'm guessing you guys run off of 240V there in Australia? I only ask because the Voltage meter shows pretty close to 250V.
Does all of your appliances also run off of the 240V? I think ours runs 240V at the circuit box but most of our appliances are 120V, PC's, Fans, TVs, etc...

AVC

Banned
Yeah, correct. 240V. And with 3 phase, there are 3 x 240v phases and a neutral (or ground), and if you measure between any two of the live phases you get 415V, so a three phase motor would use 415V. For extra grunt. Every thing here is 240v. Maybe why earth-leakage protection devices are mandatory (also known as Residual Current Devices or Safety Switches).

And Pug, when I bought my DeWalt the Makita stuff didn't have 18V. I do have corded Bosch stuff, which isn't bad. But I can't kill the DeWalt stuff I have. I rarely even use my corded drills unless I want to drill some big core hole.

Top Bottom