Shout box

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
It's a new shoutbox we're gonna try out AVC.

1. We hope that it helps with the lagg that we all get from it stalling and not updating

2. The Shoutbox will only be on the home page, and none of the others (I hope) because as I told Wally it's very frustrating when you are trying to reply or make posts when people are putting in pics and crap in the shout making the entire page bounce up and down. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about ;)

P.S. It's taking Wally a bit longer than I expected but this is also a new SMF version of the forum too, so he may be running in to some kinds of problems he did not expect, I hope he gets them sorted out.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
It's a new shoutbox we're gonna try out AVC.

1. We hope that it helps with the lagg that we all get from it stalling and not updating

2. The Shoutbox will only be on the home page, and none of the others (I hope) because as I told Wally it's very frustrating when you are trying to reply or make posts when people are putting in pics and crap in the shout making the entire page bounce up and down. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about ;)

P.S. It's taking Wally a bit longer than I expected but this is also a new SMF version of the forum too, so he may be running in to some kinds of problems he did not expect, I hope he gets them sorted out.

it was taking me forever because the wife called for dinner and then I had to do the oil change on my car. I expected the oil change to be a lot quicker but since it's the 1st time on the car, the oil filter was a P.I.T.A. to remove.

Either way, I'm back on trying to get that error fixed. Cross your fingers my wife doesn't say bedtime in the next 30 minutes lol :p

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
all done. Post your comments on it.

And nope, we can't turn the shoutbox black. Unless you're using the chat via the Chat-Tab at the top, then yes that's the only way to change the background.

AVC

Banned
Well, I'm sorry to say this after Wally's hard work, but I think the new shout looks shit. Shit shout even.

It's looks totally unintegrated with the entire theme of the website, there seems to be no way of looking at history, and for the very short time I used it, it had this ridiculous "feature" (Windowz loves that term) of users being able to change their name.
More-so, there no way to clear the chat if some spastic decides to post some idiotic picture, no hyperlinks to users profiles no way to tell users IPs AND the if using it on the homepage the data entry field is impossibly small.
And IMO having the shout on every page was good because you could stay in convo while reading other topics.

The shout box tended to keep everyone who was on "in the room". It was always there no matter where you were on the site. Like, if you will, you walk into a bar, and everyone is in the front bar area. Those playing are at the back around the pool tables. You could still read the noticeboards while you were in the bar with everyone. Now all the people chatting are in some room at the back with a really small window leading in to the front bar.

If the shout is going to be on a whole other tab to be effective, we may as well use YIM or some similar chat client. ICQ? Trillian?

Why did we change? Because Blu's page ketp bouncing due to JM's picture posting fests? He's gone now.

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
Part of me likes it, part of me hates it. Ajax is great but this one seems to limit us to much

AVC

Banned
Just thought of another one. It seems all the users are the same colour, which does not help players who come into the shout to see if a mod is about. And again if the shout is "in the background" by the time a mod notices that someone has jumped in to report a hacker, they may well be gone.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
im not sure if it just me but the new shout dose not seem to update that well. i mean sure we had some lag with the other shout boxes but this just seems not to update at all for me.

before some says yes i have tried firefox and it still dose the same thing lol

Code

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
Guys give it time. I'm sure if there is any way to tweak Wally will take care of it. Dont hate on it yet!

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Well, I'm sorry to say this after Wally's hard work, but I think the new shout looks shit. Shit shout even.

It's looks totally unintegrated with the entire theme of the website, there seems to be no way of looking at history, and for the very short time I used it, it had this ridiculous "feature" (Windowz loves that term) of users being able to change their name.
More-so, there no way to clear the chat if some spastic decides to post some idiotic picture, no hyperlinks to users profiles no way to tell users IPs AND the if using it on the homepage the data entry field is impossibly small.
And IMO having the shout on every page was good because you could stay in convo while reading other topics.

The shout box tended to keep everyone who was on "in the room". It was always there no matter where you were on the site. Like, if you will, you walk into a bar, and everyone is in the front bar area. Those playing are at the back around the pool tables. You could still read the noticeboards while you were in the bar with everyone. Now all the people chatting are in some room at the back with a really small window leading in to the front bar.

If the shout is going to be on a whole other tab to be effective, we may as well use YIM or some similar chat client. ICQ? Trillian?

Why did we change? Because Blu's page ketp bouncing due to JM's picture posting fests? He's gone now.

In my opinion, it's integrated pretty well, but theme wise it's not; and it's fugly! and the fact that the colors don't match up like before sucks... Guess we got used to something that we needed a reminder that our previous one worked pretty well even with the flaws it had.

I'm always up for some change to spice things up a bit. If I need to try a different shout (which we have not that many to choose from), then so be-it. I'm on a mission to find out another one. :)

Things I already switched: shoutbox is now integrated into every page.

Things I can tweak later today (or at least try): I can lower the seconds so the forum can refresh the shoutbox sooner. Remove /nick feature.

Things I can't change: Member colors, permanent background color, user-info on main shoutbox.

Andy, check your PM in a bit.

As always everyone, keep the comments coming; good or bad. 8)

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
Got the following message and the site slowed to nothing::

shouterror.gif

2000 hrs est on 09 Jun 10

Top Bottom