New SSD

SiloHunter

Condescending little prick
|K3| Moderator
So, I know I will be getting a SSD for Christmas. This will be the first SSD, I have ever had and I understand the general concept that it is faster, but I would appreciate a greater understanding.

How do I use this SSD to boot up my computer faster? Do I have to install a new copy of windows?

^only question(s) for now. If there are more, don't worry, I'll pester you guys.
Thanks.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
It's a hard drive , just much faster. The SSD has no moving parts, so in theory (i think) they last much longer. You will need an operating system to be installed onto it if you want to use it as your primary hard drive.

You will also need to re-install some of your most used programs etc. Since SSD's aren't usually very big (in terms of storage space) unless you want to pay a ton , you will most likely want a regular hard drive to serve as a media storage drive etc. I would assume the SSD you get will be either 120, 128gb or 256gb.

The process (afaik) is the same as it would be with a regular hard drive. You need to add windows, programs, w/e else etc. Technical differences and processes aside, it's the same thing as your current hard drive, just much faster, so the process of adding one shouldn't be too much different (if at all) than adding a normal drive.

I think SSD are 2.5 inch while regular drives are 3.5 , so you might need a special bay to hold it snugly, not sure. Also, i think most SSD use Sata III connections. I'm not sure if it would work with a board that only has sata II connectors, so make sure whatever you get is compatible with your current hardware.

Jonna or Kreubs will be able to tell you a lot more, that's pretty much all i know about em.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Exactly what Damage said pretty much, you can also look up how to make an image of your OS as well and save it as a image file and install that. For me though I would just reinstall windows and go from there, I just did it on mine and got rid of a lot of crap I never use lol.

Also, when you use a SSD you don't want to use the defrag tool in windows, I used a program called SSD Tweaker and it will automatically apply the proper settings for you with a SSD, and as Damage said SSD is a LOT faster but the bad thing of course is you give up space for it, if that's not a problem go for it man you'll love it! ;)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
If you can jump on it now, check out Amazon or Newegg this week for storage drives. They are on sale. Amazon has some 1tb externals for $60.

SiloHunter

|K3| Moderator
Yeah. I think I saw 3tb for about 100 bucks. Right now I am good on storage and am just looking forward to the speed of the SSD, if I can figure it out.

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
SSD (Solid State Drive) is a type of storage device that contains no moving parts and uses NAND Flash for storage, the same kind that smartphones use.

SSD benefits
- faster speed
- lower power consumption
- no moving parts (less heat and no noise or vibration)
- faster access times
- less latency
- more resistant to physical shock

Quick summary of NAND Flash and SSD's from Kingston's website:
NAND Flash Technology and Solid State Drives (SSDs)
Non-Volatile NAND Flash Memory
One of the benefits of NAND Flash is its non-volatile storage of data. Unlike DRAM memory which must be powered continuously to retain data, NAND memory retains data even when the power is off — making it ideal as storage for portable devices.

Types of NAND Flash
There are primarily two types of NAND Flash widely used today, Single-Level Cell (SLC) and Multi-Level Cell (MLC). NAND Flash stores data in a large array of cells. Each cell can store data — one bit for cell for SLC NAND, and two bits per cell for MLC. So, SLC NAND would store a “0” or “1” in each cell, and MLC NAND would store “00”, “01”, “10”, or “11” in each cell. SLC and MLC NAND offer different levels of performance and endurance characteristics at different price points, with SLC being the higher performing and more costly of the two.

NAND Cell Wear Leveling
NAND cells are not designed to last forever — unlike DRAM, their cells will wear out over time when written to (Reads do not wear out NAND Flash like Writes do). So, NAND storage devices have a limited number of write cycles, although the impact on many storage devices is not significant because of Wear Leveling being carried out by the Flash controller that always resides on the device. All USB Flash drives, SD cards and SSDs have a NAND controller that manages the NAND Flash and performs such functions as Wear Leveling and Error Correction.
So, to prolong the life of NAND storage devices, the NAND Flash controller ensures that all data written is spread evenly across all physical blocks of the device so as not to wear-out one area of the NAND faster than another.

Solid-State Drives (SSDs)
In the past two years, NAND Flash costs dropped enough to make new primary storage devices, solid-state drives, possible for client systems and servers. SSDs are direct replacements for the hard disks (or standard disk drives) in computers with compatible interfaces (such as SATA or SAS).

SSDs offer significant performance and durability advantages over standard hard drives. SSDs have no moving parts; they are all semiconductor devices. Because of this, SSDs do not suffer from mechanical latencies like hard drives do, and without moving parts, SSDs can be subjected to much more shock and vibration than a hard drive, making them ideal for a broad range of portable and mobile applications.
In years past, solid-state drives were designed with DRAM memory chips and were as expensive as luxury cars, making them suitable only for demanding server applications.
Today, with lower cost NAND Flash SSDs, SSDs are being used in a variety of applications ranging from consumer to enterprise and military computing.

SSD Endurance
Kingston's Client system MLC SSDs are rated at 20GB in typical writes per day over three years (Kingston remains conservative in its specifications). This is commonly known as the SSD's endurance.
Today's MLC SSDs are not intended for use in servers, which require much higher levels of writes per day; for those write-intensive applications, 64GB server SLC SSDs can be rated at upward of 1TeraBytes in 4K, 100% Random worst case writes per day over 3 years. Due to the higher cost and lower capacities of SLC SSDs for servers, the industry is working on a new category of server SSDs, called Enterprise MLC (or eMLC).

Links:
SSD reviews and news: http://www.anandtech.com/tag/ssd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7545/best-ssds-holiday-2013
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
http://www.kingston.com/us/community/articledetail/articleid/12
http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd

I'll do a more detailed post later on, but this was just a quick summary.

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Almost all has been said above, installing it is pretty easy and doesnt require much nerdknowledge. A SSD still acts like a regular hard drive in terms of usage its just way faster and doesnt move.

Do you already know which exact SSD you will get? If yes pls link. Will help in narrowing down as to what information to give and not overload your brain with stuff you wont need.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Personally I would get the Intel 240GB, for the same price and twice the space hell yeah!

I have an Intel 240GB in my laptop and it's pretty damn fast, faster than the Crucial 120GB I have in my desktop, kinda wished they were swapped since I use my desktop most of the time ;)

SiloHunter

|K3| Moderator
It might be too late. I'm not the one buying, but I'll send that out, see if there is time for a switcharoo.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
when installing your drive for the first time make sure windows switches off disk defragmenter, other wise windows will run this is back ground slowing your ssd down and also reducing it's life span. you also need to change bio information to Enable AHCI SATA mode in the UEFI/BIOS

i also moved some other windows files to a standard hard drive i had in order to save space for example my documents, my pictures etc, also my the rubbish bin so it did not hold large items (reduced the size and anything larger that 1gb is now removed straight away)

i wont waste time typing out a guide on how to setup an SSD drive but instead post a link with details on how to do it (pretty much the same as what i did when setting mine up).
im unsure if i am welcome to post link to other forums here but if its not im sure an admin will take it down and i can make setup guide or pm you the link

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

SiloHunter

|K3| Moderator
I have the drive. Think I have figured it out. Thank you everyone. Have a copy of windows 7, but I need a key for it or an unlocker. If someone could help me in either of those areas that would be great.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I can, but it has to be Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. Send me a conversation and we can work on that tomorrow.

SiloHunter

|K3| Moderator
SSD installed great. Windows is bigger than I thought. Now, my HDD has a lot of stuff I want to keep, but a lot I don't want to keep. I tried deleting my old windows file from my HDD, but it wouldn't let me. Is there a way to clean up my HDD without wiping and reinstalling things? In control panel's installed programs, it only shows stuff on the SSD.

I opened TS3. All my settings were erased.

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Can you see the secondary hard drive under 'computer?' If not, something isn't connected properly. If so, just click on it and delete the crap you don't want from the drive.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
if you can not see your 2nd hard drive and its all plugged right then try this to see if its just not been assigned a drive letter

step 1: Windows "start menu"
step 2: TYPE IN, "disk management" into the "Search Programs and Files" box at the bottom
step 3 find and RIGHT click on the Hard Drive in the list that program shows.
step 4: select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
step 5: click ADD and make sure the ASSIGN THE FOLLOWING DRIVE LETTER: bubble is selected, and then use the drop down menu to select a Drive Letter not in use.
step 5: Click OK
step 6: Done, you should have something pop up showing that your hard drive is available to show.

Top Bottom