sshd's

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
So anyone got any experience of solid state hybrid drives? Part solid state drive, part hard drive. Do they help the machine boot faster? Are they worth the money?

I do realise i could get a solid state drive and add a large hard drive, but i'm curious about these.

Any input would be great.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I never used one, but my bro had one. AFAIK, it uses the solid state portion for caching. I hear they do help boot way faster, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Once an sshd learns the boot sequence after a few boots, it can really help boot times.

Here's a video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gnm8bGFYvo

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
They use £'s in the UK :p

I know, but converting currencies, specially for technology prices is useless. Of course I could have gone and looked up the UK prices, but who has the time or willpower to do that?

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
imo there's no point in getting a SSHD if you still have to manually manage files between the 2 drives.
If all you do it for is faster boot time it's fine, although a PITA cuz you'd need to relocate the entire OS and all it's extensions to the SSD part.
I'd personally wait a bit, wait till SSD prices drop a bit(which they will soon) and buy yourself a decent size SSD. All you windows guys have huge cases that fit a dozen drives anyway :p, can always later buy a normal HDD for backup/random shit.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
imo there's no point in getting a SSHD if you still have to manually manage files between the 2 drives.
If all you do it for is faster boot time it's fine, although a PITA cuz you'd need to relocate the entire OS and all it's extensions to the SSD part.
I'd personally wait a bit, wait till SSD prices drop a bit(which they will soon) and buy yourself a decent size SSD. All you windows guys have huge cases that fit a dozen drives anyway :p, can always later buy a normal HDD for backup/random shit.

Um, no.

The ssd portion is a cache. It's temporary storage for the most accessed files. The system handles that automatically.

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
That's why you were wrong. :K

I'm actually glad Kreubs corrected me, would have felt really bad for all you windows guys if it wasn't actually done automatically. Such a great feat to miss out on as a windows user, happy u guys are able to join the party on this one atleast.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Well, my windows can automatically run 95% of the games on the market in HD @ max settings. For half the price. At minimum.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
It's actually the controller on the drive that manages it. #Hardware

Windows already does a good job at doing things automatically. Most problems are caused by that thing that sits between the keyboard and the chair. :p

OT: yes, sshd's help boot/program load time if you don't want to go ssd.

Last edited:

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
our MC server has an SSHD. Boot times are much better compared to the HDD it had. However, since it's a headless server, I don't notice much of any difference since I don't use it on a day to day. Any MC users even remember the difference while gaming?

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
I would one day like the convenience of an ssd solely for booting. However a 7200RPM mechanical HDD is fast enough for me. Nothing below that though lol.

Top Bottom