OS X Mavericks

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Installed the first GM about a little over a week ago; it had already been out for 2 weeks or so. GM #2 was released a few days ago :|

If you've going from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, tons of new features. Going from ML to Mavericks, uummmm, not many noticeable features, at least for me... yet. The quick change I noticed was, you have to hold the power button about 2 seconds to bring the power buttons. Previously, a single button press would bring those buttons up. Right now, a single button press puts the display to sleep.

And the thing I like about the OS = it's freeeeeeeeeeee

edit:
I'll be doing a fresh install of the OS in a few minutes. Can't be running the first GM, y0

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
i am on ML but i'm on an 11 inch air so wondering if the low ram will be an issue...backing up to time machine at the moment

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
System requirements are exactly the same as Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lion Requirements:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Mavericks Requirements:

• OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available space

You should be good.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
time machine is acting weird doesn't show any backups, icloud only has my phone backed up :|

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I don't do Time Machine. I prefer manually backing up and restoring. Gives me time to delete the unwanted stuff.

Fresh install is the way to go.

SteelHorse

|KKK|Clash Expert
|K3| Member
not seeing much of a difference myself. Hadn't even seen the things that Wally mentioned. The icons changed and some things were added to the programs like pages, iphoto...etc. That's about it for me so far.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
ok reformatted usb drive to mac os extended (journaled)>>backing up using SuperDuper! ....
will attempt upgrade as soon as backup finishes

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Hadn't even seen the things that Wally mentioned.

I was referring to these buttons coming up when you press the power button:
Use-your-MacBooks-power-button-to-turn-off-its-display.png

Pre-Mavericks you just had to press that button to bring that up. In Mavericks, you have to hold the power button for about 2 seconds (be sure to let go) for those buttons to come up. And now whenever you do a quick press of the power button the display gets put to sleep.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Why is this one free when they've always charged before?

They didn't say why. Probably to get the late adopters to the latest and greatest. I'm sure it's to get them to notice things like Notification Center and the slew of new features post Snow Leopard.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
fuuuucccckkk !
in the course of trying to partition my external hd to accomodate a backup (usb wasn't big enough after 2 hours of waiting)
i think i erased my whole drive of all my movies :banghead:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
after that debacle i think i'll just go ahead and try a regular upgrade and hope it doesn't lose anything and and if it does i'll have the backup on the ext drive..if it comes to that I'll take this bitch down to the apple store lol

p.s. the dl is soooooo sloooooow

Last edited:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
around the same..but mine ended up taking a good part of the day due to *ahem* mistakes and backing up/prepping for a fresh install which i ended up not doing..the regular install worked fine..not a big fan of the gray dock background though

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
If any of you have ANY previous versions (legitimate or :pirate: versions) of iLife, iWork and Aperture, you're in luck! Install them onto your Mavericks OS and once complete, check on the MAS for updates. Apple is upgrading all legacy versions of the software. I just did it last night. :fuckyea:

Top Bottom