Steam Machine specs

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
That's pretty nice.

Who else is a Beta candidate? They're sending out 300 prototypes. I'm among the 300,000 who have a chance to get one :pokerface:

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
I'm not certain who this will appeal to maybe to get console guys able to play against pc guys..who knows,but pc owners will be able to stream without the box ..steam machine users will be able to play all platform games(windows,linux or mac)...i'm still not entirely clear on it all ...

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-07-valve-reveals-specs-of-its-steam-machine-prototype

"Valve didn't set out to create our own prototype hardware just for the sake of going it alone - we wanted to accomplish some specific design goals that in the past others weren't yet tackling," Valve's Greg Coomer wrote on the Steam Community website.

"One of them was to combine high-end power with a living-room-friendly form factor. Another was to help us test living-room scenarios on a box that's as open as possible.

"So for our own first prototype Steam Machine (the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts.

"It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

"And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package.

"Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions."

There won't a single "Steam Machine."
You can build your own, purchase one from a 3rd party manufacturer or possibly order one from Valve itself.

I'm just worried about the proper driver support since Valve is taking a very open approach and not limiting the hardware options at all, but I guess they're a big influence to pressure Nvidia and AMD to make proper drivers for Linux.

steam machine users will be able to play all platform games(windows,linux or mac)

I don't believe "all platform games" was mentioned in any article regarding Steam Machines. Though you can install any OS that supports the hardware since it's just a PC running Valve's Steam OS by default.

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
I heard you'll be able to download the Steam OS Beta in the near future.

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
May make a tiny partition on my HDD for steam OS. Not sure.

Top Bottom