Tablets: Whats good, whats bad?

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
Guys, just starting some early Xmas shopping research: Tablets:- I do a lot of reading, listen to lots of music, Would probably take a lot of pics. price - Mid-range. You got any suggestions of good buys or AVOID it like the plague models??

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
I have the iPad (3rd generation) I would recommend that over the 4th generation. There are really no noticable differences apart from the price tag.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I'm only familiar with the iPad 3 since that's the one I have. The iBooks app accepts PDF books, and ebooks (kindle) as well. If you need a smaller screen, go with the iPad mini. However, it doesn't have the retina display; not like it would matter for reading anyway.

If you plan on going with an iPad, I'd wait a few weeks since they're refreshing the iPad lineup real soon. Thinner bezel, same screen size and resolution

macrumors-ipad5c.jpg

Left: iPad 4, Middle: iPad 5, Right: iPad mini

macrumors-ipad5b.jpg

iPad 5 on top of the iPad 4

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Outer shell. They're making it similar to the iPad mini. Other than that, nope. If you have the iPad 3/4, there's no need to upgrade. Unless of course you want/need it lighter.

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
Ok .... now we have 2 footie / tablet threads Lol. Love it.....

And btw ..... here in the home of the game we do call it Footie! Taken massively seriously by the 90% of the nation who wouldnt recognise a good sporting contest if it kicked em in the dangly bits. The rest of us are Rugby fans! :D

Thanks for the info

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Forgot to mention, pretty sure no tablet will be good for picture taking XD

You don't wanna go around looking like this guy

zSRER.jpg

XD

BuckRogers

Staff Sergeant
|K3| Member
:drool::D.... you can get them in pink???? OMG Wally, what does that pillock look like!!

- - - Updated - - -

Whatdya rekon - Brit or american??

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
ipads are way overpriced and you can get better specs for far less. The cheapest mini starts @ $330. I wouldn't use a tablet for pictures. Ever.

I would recommend the new Nexus 7. The only real downside to them is the lack of an SD card slot. They have 16 and 32 gb models and it runs the latest version of Android. It has a full HD screen, quad core processor and 2gb of RAM. The Nexus do have some complaints with apps not being compatible with the new Android OS, GPS issues, camera issues and touch screen issues. Most of these however, should be sorted out with updates.

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2, and while I'm happy with it and it's run great, it's still a bit sluggish at times when browsing graphic heavy pages on the net etc. It is only $170 though, but for only $50 more for the 16gb Nexus, it's probably worth the extra money. The one thing to take into consideration though, is the fact that very few people have any sort of issue with the Tab 2 compared to the Nexus. But specs wise and performance wise, the Nexus kills it. There are two versions of the Nexus, so make sure you look at the 2013 version.

The Acer Iconia a1-810 might be worth looking at as well. It has a 7.9 inch screen and is only $170.

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-...e=UTF8&qid=1381174890&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+7

Last edited:
Top Bottom