Classics

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I knew about the Peaver translation (read the Peaver/ Volokhonsky translation for Crime and punishment) for the Three musketeers and it's the version i downloaded, but he only did that one book out of the the series.

Did you read these others as well? If so, i was curious as to which versions you read. Sometimes it's published as five, sometimes as four, and sometimes three i think, as books 3c and 3d in this list are included in 3a. At least i think that's right, it can get a bit convoluted. Sometimes Ten years later is omitted. They can all be downloaded for free on Amazon, although a couple of them have horrid formating. The text is all centered and it's very annoying. I deleted them and went HERE where they are also free and have much better formatting.

Book 1: The Three Musketeers
Book 2: Twenty Years After
Book 3a: The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Book 3b: Ten Years Later
Book 3c: Louise de la Vallière
Book 3d: The Man in the Iron Mask

Last edited:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
@Rocket Thanks buddy! XD I love reading and it's one of my passions. I just love getting immersed into a world where anything is possible! :happy:

@Damage Okie, I checked my bookshelf. I have Book 1, Book 2, and Book 3a. The others I don't have in my collection, though my dad might. Now, with Book 2, and with Book 3a I have the Oxford Translation. I did research this a little and most reviews stated that these were the best ones available.
So all in all I suggest you get those, I haven't checked my kindle if those are on the store or if the formatting is any good, so in that area you'll hafta find out on your own.

Anyways, as always Happy reading!
~Link :hf:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I pretty much already did and downloaded all six a few days ago. I was just curious your thoughts.

Your book 3a might be 3 stories in 1.

Ten years later Apparently bridges a gap between 3a and 3c that only appears in the ebook versions because of the way it was split up. One reviewer said it contained the last 18 chapters of 3a and the first 47 in 3c. I guess in the printed editions those chapters are included in 3a and 3c.

You could very well have all of that in book 3a. If so, i think it's 248 chapters.

Last edited:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
I just checked it, and sadly it doesn't. I don't want to walk out to my dad's library and check what he has 'cause that might wake him up. XD
Anyways, enjoy all of those books to their fullest, because they're amazing! (Oh btw, Aramis was my favorite. He's little a Warrior Priest of DOOM! And i've always loved his name. XD)

Happy reading!

~Link :hf:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
YES! I'm glad you like it! :3 It even gets better, just wait 'til everything just starts unfolding. :)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Chapter 38 now. I'm a slow reader XD.

Glad I'm reading this in the kindle app, the built in dictionary is VERY handy with this book. WIsh the author had made a lot more footnotes. A lot of the Italian phrases i have to Google.

Also, i wish i knew how the money translated back then into today's $$.

Last edited:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
On the money issue, here's the answer. :3 Not 100% sure if it's correct, but it seems like a good answer. (No it's not mine. :p)

"Well, he states that part of the treasure is 1000 ingots of pure gold weighing 1 to 2 pounds each. With gold being $1000 an ounce as of March 2008 that would be anywhere from 16 million to 32 million dollars worth of just gold ingots. Of course, that does not include the diamonds or the gold coins. But if you assume the gold coins and diamonds were each worth as much as the ingots that is a minimum of 48 to 96 million or more. My guess is that the Count's fortune was about 100 Million dollars in today's money."

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I Googled and read those too, but they varied so much it was impossible to know the truth. As far as the Counts fortune, it doesn't matter all that much to me since we know, regardless of the actual amount, he's filthy rich and can do what he pleases.

I would more like to know what an ECU or pistare (spelling?) or Franc translates too. The wiki page had some guesses, but i wish i could know the true value.

Thanks for the answer!

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
@Orange How do you not like classics? O.< They're amazing pieces of literature. O: You should totally check one out.

@Damage Lol, no problem. :p I can't wait for your to get further in the book. Some awesome stuff will go down. :3

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Never have i read a book, let alone one that's 117 chapters and well over 1000 pages , that once finished, i craved 1000 more.

I was dreading each flip of the page for fear it would be the last. I almost wanted to just start it again.

Easily in my top three, and really, probably my new favorite. Amazing story and brilliant writing.

I was going to download and watch the movie afterwards, but why soil such an amazing story. Even if the movie is good , nothing could ever do that book justice. I'll probably wait a week and then download it.

Bambi

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
Thanks to this thread, downloaded to kindle and started reading. So far so good. Read loads of classics but not this one. Don't know why. Will let you know what I think. Cheers Link.

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Awesome Bambi, I look forward to see what you think of it! :3

@Damage Nice work on finishing it! ;D I have watched the movie. It was ok, but as you said, it can't really do the book justice. They skip some scenes, change some stuff, etc. etc.

Anyways, happy reading!
~Link

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Thanks to this thread, downloaded to kindle and started reading. So far so good. Read loads of classics but not this one. Don't know why. Will let you know what I think. Cheers Link.

I hope you got the proper version. That is, the penguin classics unabridged translated by Robin Buss. I had read part of a chapter online from another translator and the difference was surprising. The unabridged has the full 117 chapters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom