Classics

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
What :quote: Classics :quote:have you read and what are your favorites?

Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. At some point i will try to take on the beast, War and peace.

Why do Russians all have 400 different names!

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
I've read the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid and some other Homeric age classics. Gatsby was amazing. I suggest reading the Inferno by Dante.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Finally finished Crime and punishment. A bit of a tough read since it's been translated from Russian. A lot of the different names they use can get confusing and there are a bunch of footnotes you have to look up. Since it was published in 1866, it deals with the politics and thinking of the time, and of course the manner of speaking was much different than today.

Amazing book though. Highly recommend it. There are a bunch of translations. I read the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation. They are considered one of the best, but others say their translation drags a bit (my assumption is that's because it held very true to the original) Most people say it's the closest translation to the original Russian, but since i don't know Russian, i couldn't say.

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Personally I love the Count of Monte Cristo. I thought that the whole plot and the way he executed his revenge was brilliant. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it yet so i'll be the first, Yay! :D

Anyways, have a good night everyone!

~Link

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I'm going to get that one. Thanks for the suggestion.

1276 Pages :yikes:

I've only read a few books over 1000 pages. All were epic.

Last edited:

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
No problem buddy, i'm glad I could tell you about it and get you to buy it. :D

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Buy it was the funny part there.

I would either download the e-book or get it from the library.

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
Yeah, I have it on my Kindle Fire. :3 Oh and what happened to my Signature, it vanished. D:

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Did you read the unabridged (117 chapters) version by Penguin books translated by Robin Buss?

I've read a lot of people say that's the best version/translation. I just downloaded it :D

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
I've read both, but I believe the unabridged version is better. :)

Happy reading!

~Link

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Link, i just downloaded the entire Three musketeers series as well. I'm going to try and find the actual books at the used bookstore, but not holding my breath. Have you read those? If so, do you have the actual complete books?

Do you have any recommendations as to which translations are best?

Sodalover

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Brave New World. The way Aldous Huxley wrote it is quite shit, George Orwell's writing is much better. It's the grand theme, the big picture that makes this book great.

Link

|KKK|'s Storyteller
Former Krew Member
@Damage Yep I've read The Three Musketeers. I thought it was excellent, and when the movie came out in theaters I was pretty pumped. I dunno if you've seen it, but the book is still better than the movie. (IMO)

Anyways, for the translation I would go with Pevear's translation, that's the one I have and apparently also the best.
Happy Reading!
~Link

rocketfish

Sergeant
Former Krew Member
Link, Dude! You're 17 and know this? Some 35 yr olds wouldn't have realized that's the best translation. Very impressive!:salute:

Top Bottom