CoD4 stuck at 640x480, crashes when changing settings

Kacey

Epic Poodle
Former Krew Member
My Cod4 crashed, accidentally put it in safe mode and then when I quit and went back into non-safe mode, the game was lowest settings, 640x480, sound quality lowest, etc etc and if I change anything it crashes without so much as an error message.

What can I do to fix this? 640x480 doesn't look good on a 1080p monitor...

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Hmm.

Try plugging in a mic, try creating a new profile , if worst comes to worst, back up your profile and re-install the game.

HIBred

Foolish Mortal
|K3| Executive
what you need to do is unplug your pc,fashion a foil hat,put it on your head and with arms in the form of a Y do 3 spins clockwise while repeating the words "ooom lahk lahk oom" 12 times....4 verses per spin..usually works..or you could try what Dee said..

igno121

Eskimo with Eskiho's
|K3| Member
what settings are you changing first? Is it any setting that you try and change which makes it crash? also have you tried running the program from the steam folder using admin?

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
If a mic is in, go to Sound -> recording in control panel, right click and make sure you can see disabled devices, and enable Stereo Mix.

Single player and multi player use separate configs, try loading single player to see if it still crashes.

If neither of the above methods work, delete config_mp.cfg from cod4/players/profiles/yourname

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
I'm being serious by the way, it happened to me and my friend who I also helped fix it. If you have xfire on and you try to change your resolution it can cause it to crash.

Try having someone send you their cfg, since if you didn't back yours up somewhere its gone anyways.

I'll try to help more when I'm not burning hot and on my phone.

Here's mine if you wanna use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom