SimCity

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I looked at requirements for a programming spot at EA Gothenburg, Sweden... All I can say is :jawdrop:

If they require that of all their staff in all their studios, I would expect that the game reflect the required qualifications. I bet if they actually spent time on optimization rather than anti-piracy, their games would actually have value.

Last edited:

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yeah this really sucks guys, I pre-ordered this game for Brian as a Christmas present, hate to see all the bad reviews on it...

Although coming from Newegg I can still get a refund for it, so I may end up doing that and just send it back, see what he wants to do :(

Xepher

Corporal
Former Krew Member
Played the crap outta SimCity on the SNES.
Played the crap outta SimCity 2000 + Importing maps into SimCopter was the best damn experience ever. Blew my little 8 year old mind.
Played the crap outta SimCity 3000.
Played the crap outta SimCity 4.

As interesting as curved roads and the actual engine/simulation design of the new SimCity, it cut too many corners from the previous games for me to be interested at all. Very small cities, limited region connection, always-on DRM, too much emphasis on multiplayer, future plans of nickle+diming DLC in the hands of EA (it WILL happen), lack of terraforming, lack of subways, forced cloud saving, lack of singleplayer mods for longevity...probably more I can't think of.

I get its a whole new game and you have to make sacrifices for better simulation but ffs SC2000 was 18 years ago and it had terraforming. SC4 was 10 years ago and it had huge interconnected regions that you could spend months and months filling up and making one perfect super region with each city terraformed to your very liking. You had perfect control. This game, no such thing. It caters to people that want to spend a couple hours making a city on a small predetermined landscape, or a couple days making a couple small cities in a predetermined region. People who are new to SimCity or like the idea of multiplayer is their target audience. Some people will like that. I'm sure some vets of the series will enjoy the game for what it is. I don't want anything to do with it.

EDIT - And for those wanting to DL it, if you are unaware, according to Maxis/EA, part of the DRM online actively downloads data to your computer from the cloud or something like that. One of their reasons that cities are small. Again, according to their word, even though it sounds like BS, this game with the DRM alone is going to be hard to pirate. If the simulation aspect is true to their word and you need their cloud server to play the way they say they do, this game will be almost impossible to pirate. So don't get your hopes up seeing a SKIDROW torrent or anything like that anytime soon :p

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Meh, After reading the reviews i don't even want to download it. By giving it so much protection and making such a limiting game, they probably, or at least hopefully, cost themselves more money than the pirates would.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I looked at requirements for a programming spot at EA Gothenburg, Sweden... All I can say is :jawdrop:

If they require that of all their staff in all their studios, I would expect that the game reflect the required qualifications. I bet if they actually spent time on optimization rather than anti-piracy, their games would actually have value.

I mean they might have great programmers, but if they have bad management, they will still just have amazingly well crafted, well running, SHIT PLAYING games.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Updated Amazon reviews. :lmao:

5 star: (28 )
4 star: (20)
3 star: (27)
2 star: (44)
1 star: (823)

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Not that I've seen. As Xepher said, i think the only way you can play the game is by being connected to EA servers. That's what has a lot of people so pissed. They can't connect to the very, very few servers EA has up, and when/if they do, if you get booted or disconnected at any point, apparently the game doesn't save. At least according to a couple reviews i read.

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Wow, this is the worst stunt EA has pulled on their consumers so far. They need to get their marketing strategy back together.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Blu redefines the term, early bird :D

:lmao:

Yeah, having to connect just to play is one of the reasons I wouldn't even want it, and Brian too I'm sure. I'll probably end up sending it back to Newegg for a refund, they say you can get a refund up to 30 days if the game is unopened, and at this point I don't see it being opened lol.

Edit: This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a game and surely will be the last!!

Last edited:

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Yeah I was very :(

I've always loved playing this game and they had to fck it up like they did.. so disappointing! I guess bro will have to find another present for me lol

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
I'm still going to give it a chance, but not this soon.

The launch was an epic fail.
You always need Internet to play.
Small cities

If they don't fix any of those, I will be one unhappy man.
Of course, I know the people at EA and Maxis would go back in time and do some things differently if that was possible.

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I don't think any of those will be fixed. The best you can probably hope for is that EA actually makes an effort to put up more servers and make them reliable. I feel bad for people who paid for this game. I mean you're basically renting it. If EA decides to shut down the servers.......................................... You're screwed.

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
It's still a pretty fun game, controlling the region makes it interesting. Torrent it and try before you buy.

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
:thinking: I may check it out on WBB.

I'm downloading it now. It's only 3.2 gb.

Hopefully i get around to playing it at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom