Minecraft Server: I'd like to get some answers

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Before I pull the trigger, I have a few questions about Minecraft and its server.

Note: Please excuse my Minecraft n00biesness.

I'm assuming Minecraft is like any other FPS game where you can favorite any server.

If so, what does it favorite? The IP? The name, ex. domain name?

What does Minecraft server consist of? A world? Say if the server needs to be moved: How do I move the environment? If the server needs to be moved, does it affect the world in any way or do we have to start from scratch?

Does location matter? Ping?

Here is the reason(s) for the many questions.. I've read that Minecraft servers require quite a bit of resources. At the moment, I'd like to host the server in NY/LA (LA preferably as NY already has S1 and zombies that eat up the resources there and I wouldn't want to affect that) since it hardly gets used. Hosting minecraft on NY/LA will keep the Minecraft server cost at $0 since the machines that our servers are hosted only depend on how much resources we use up. For this purpose, I'd like to host them there. However, I'd like to avoid moving that server after 6 months because it needs more resources (which I don't know how much it needs anyway).

With that said, I wouldn't mind hosting the server in NY if I need to. I'd need to add more resources to that location anyway, so if I need to do just that, then so be it.

If I can get some answers to the above, I may get the Minecraft server up and running by tomorrow.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
1. You can save the server name & ip : port
2. The world is dynamically expanding. It starts off really small, and the more you play and explore, the bigger it gets. Mine is about 400 MB right now(after 3 months), but that is because Rival and I decided to see how far we could go XD so, the more you wander, the more space it takes.
3. A world is made up of three sub-worlds, each with it's own folder, so easy to backup/restore.
4. IDK about ping because I haven't joined any long-distance servers.

If I remember anything else, I'll edit it in :D

The Moment

|K3|Recruit Admin
|K3| Executive
Ping doesn't really matter. It's just a little delayed. I've joined Kreubs' server several times and never had any problems and he lives in God knows where.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Thanks Kreubs.

1. Does Minecraft have some sort of "favorite domain name" feature? That way I could get a domain solely for it, and if the server ever gets moved then all I have to do is point that domain to the new IP and voila, business continues like before.
2. Would it be a good idea to start fresh or did you guys want me to add "your world" to the server?
3. I'll let you handle that.

Our locations have plenty of space, so HD space, I wouldn't worry about. It's the RAM that has me :thinking:. Our locations currently have 1GB RAM.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Last edited:

igno121

Eskimo with Eskiho's
|K3| Member
yeah its really easy, basically minecraft is a game where you build houses and shit and battle zombies and skeletons at night. but if a house is destroyed its very obvious and that griefing/destroying other people's shit

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
Thanks Kreubs.

1. Does Minecraft have some sort of "favorite domain name" feature? That way I could get a domain solely for it, and if the server ever gets moved then all I have to do is point that domain to the new IP and voila, business continues like before.

Yes, you can use redirect domains as the IP to connect. Ex : Some people make dyndns sites to redirect their servers to.

517Houston

|KKK| Gaming Legend
|K3| Member
I too seek answers.
If one has a burning sensation whilst urinating and a strange discharge is this a good or bad thing?
Thank you for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk by Mr.Houston

Rival

Double Nature
Former Krew Member
Ping doesn't really matter. It's just a little delayed. I've joined Kreubs' server several times and never had any problems and he lives in God knows where.

Delay on Minecraft = unplayable.

If the server is in New York it shouldn't be a problem for me.

igno121

Eskimo with Eskiho's
|K3| Member
i just can't wait for wally to make a mine craft server, its gonna be so much fun

Freeze

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
New York is about the edge for most europeans, otherwise it becomes unplayable.

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Well about porting the server I have now, what do you guys who play it think? What about those of you who don't?

NickHouston

WaLLy's Personal Favorite Krew Member
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Wally, about the three part worlds:
They will auto-generate as soon as you start the server up and will stay in the server until you delete the three folders. An example of mine is here:
mcsever.png

Also, CraftBukkit allows you to run the server with some very useful plugins that allow admins to:
Disguise as an animal/mob/player, throw people into jail where they will stay until the admin un-jails them (temp ban sort of), see another player's inventory (if someone had just stolen something you can check their inventory) and much more.

There also plugins that give you a rank system (Most greifers wont take the time to register on the forum to have building privs), an economy system (a safer way to buy and sell stuff than a player throwing something on the ground and the other one picking it up), and a region system (players can NOT build or destory on someone's region unless htat player is given rights by the owner of the region)

I could go into more detail but there are some plugins here if you'd like to take a look:
http://plugins.bukkit.org/curseforge/#ti=&ta=all&au=&pno=0

Last edited:
Top Bottom