Who's running Windows 8?

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I pulled the trigger for Windows 8 cuz I couldn't pass up the $15 offer. Anyone who's purchased a new PC/laptop from June/2012 'til like Jan or Feb/2013 qualifies for the offer. If not, you'll have to pay $39.99 for Win8 Pro.

First impressions, W8 is just another service pack with extra features. But I wont complain because the upgrade isn't expensive.

The new GUI is something that needs some getting used to but so far, I kinda like it. And for those that don't know, you CAN use the traditional desktop we're all so used to. I just have to figure out how to set the desktop as default when I boot to it.

I haven't tested much of it out since it was kinda late, and I wont get to use it much until Tuesday morning.

So who else has used the retail version of it? What are your thoughts on it?

Joonikko

Shades, eternal shades.
|K3| Member
|K3| Media Team
Indeed, on the desktop UI it feels like a service pack with couple added features, but nothing major except for the improved boot time and overall smoothness.

Some people have problem using the Modern UI just because it isn't the Windows they're used to. Personally, I like the start screen because I can pin all of my apps and folders and organize them the way I want. Just pressing the windows key and clicking on the folder is way faster than having to look for the folder in the desktop.

Overall, I'm pleased with it, but it still could be better.

Shortcuts
Win + C = charms menu
Win + I = settings panel
Win + Q = application search
Win + F = File search
Win + tab = app switcher
Ctrl + scroll back in the start menu zooms out and you can re-arrange and rename the groups.

The Verge's review of Windows 8

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
I installed it because I got a free 2 year license from Microsoft DreamSpark through my university. I have seen a bit of a memory performance increase and I like the additions to Explorer. I just grabbed a program that re-added the start menu lol XD I like it so far, but I really miss the window translucency :(

Top Bottom