Gettin a new headset!

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/headphones/polk_audio/ultrafocus_8000/440714

This one is from gaming nexus, one of the premier gaming reviewers.

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Polk-Audio-UltraFocus-8000-Headphones/Item3752.aspx 9.8/10

There are more out there.

Just to compare, the polk's freq response outclasses any of the headphones in it's market. Bose QC15's only go up to 22 KHz and down to around 30 Hz, which is trash. But it's bose (no highs, no lows, must be bose). The beats Studio also only go down to about 25 Hz (if they're lucky) and the high end is worse than Bose. Just to clarify, frequency response on these is somewhat misleading. While they advertise this as their frequency response, the actual fidelity at these levels is really reliant on how the headphone is made. In the case of the beats, the headphones can't even take signal and give hifi bass at these levels, meaning that in many cases the signal you get in will come out as the wrong bass note. However, this wrong bass note is still loud and pumped up. It just is not accurate, and the harmonics of said bass note interfere with the higher register. On the bose and beats, the low end freq response amounts to over an OCTAVE above the polks. So basically, while you may get pumped up bass and EQ's highs on these other guys, it's not going to be fidelity sound (meaning accurate). No producer in the world would be caught using beats. Just sayin.

After more research and testing, the beats function the best in their bass range around 100Hz, which is about 20 Hz lower than a standard High-end speaker system setup would have the Crossover to the sub at. (Some smaller systems are best configured with Croasssover @ 150 Hz... just depends on the system)

Just for you users out there. Thought you might like to know.

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
This wasn't necessarily for you.

I just thought it would be good for everyone to check out the reviews.

As far as competitive gaming goes, headphones don't deliver High fidelity. They pump up certain frequencies (like the footsteps in cod) and much of the time take out a lot of bass that can interfere with being able to here information-sounds.

But if you are looking for a serious pair of listening headphones that will also make your games sound magical, the ones I posted are great.

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Don't be saying Polk's freq response outclasses any in it's market when you didn't do your research lol. Maybe it wildly outclasses Bose and Beats, but what proper pair of headphones doesn't?

Polk's look like good headphones and they probably(can't say for sure they don't have them here) do earn a spot in the top list, but look further than just Beats and Bose before making such statements. imo.

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
I did my research, and its market is in competition with Noise-Cancelling headphones @ 325-400 dollars USA.

Audiotechnica, Grotto, and Senheisser do not compete in this market in the USA. Neither do zounds.

Markets are determined by who buys in said market. The consumers for ultra high end stuff like BW or Dennon (which is also ultra high priced) are not in our market.

Polk is coming out with a set more comparable to those of the 150-250 dollar Grottos or Audiotechnicas. Non-noise cancelling, high end, music/video, passive over ear headphones.

And to further my statement about our market, one only has to look at the numerous other lines of headphones coming out as "artist models", in direct competition with ours, Bose, and Dre Beats (studio)

You will notice how the review on the gaming site differs from teh review on the the goodgearguide... the GGG is Aussie based. So different sort of market, different sort of review.

My point is that there are headphones out there in the same price range with similar specs, but they aren't competing in the same market.

Last edited:

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
Actually those senns are what we compare ours to sometimes. oops.
Not the dennons though. Don't know about them.

And in terms od accuracy, to the 650's, which are also dynamic. Ours don't have anywhere near the upper end on freq. A group of the audio guys said they compare to 1250's, but I immediately just took that as fanboy nonsense........ b.c.... that's a lil absurd.

EDIT: and now clicking your dennon link i find that I still have no idea what they are. HNC800? I searched their website for that too... nothing came up.

But also, since the whole point of this was to post nice headphones, I don't see why we're arguing.

Last edited:

Titoezz

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
Yea i just realized that link doesn't work, weird cuz it does come up in google with that link :dontknow:

Denon AH-NC800, can't seem to find a retail link for them, but THEY EXIST!1!1!!!

+1 to your last line, was just sayin :p

TheDude

Dudesicle
|K3| Member
MB discontinued.

Dennon has a tendency to be a bit overpriced sometimes.

EDIT: I can only find them for reduced price on amazon. I'm thinking they are discontinued. MB Senn knocked them off the market XD

Just to clarify, a lot of the marketing on noise-cancellation is highly misleading. The frequency range NC works on is really not on the high-end. It's a specific range that gets knocked out by almost 99%.

So bose markets this as "we engineered them so you could still hear people talking through the ANC," but really it's just an inherent part of how most NC works.

Most other companies just market as the percentage of Noise Cancellation. But at least they don't pull a bose.

As far as the Sennheisers go, they kinda set the standard for the High-end NC headphones. However, they are in the actual high-end market. The point i was making earlier is that they aren't really in the same market as bose or dre beats, though the price point is the same, and some may claim to have "comparable" specs. Consumers who don't buy into the high-end market simply aren't even aware of Sennheiser.

Spell check wants Sennheiser to be Heisenberg. Hmmmmm

Last edited:
Top Bottom