the reason i was sleeping on the sofa for a week or two lol

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
bit of a long story but some of you know and for those that dont the ex misses had her car in the garage and i wanted to do some work on this and as it was raining done it in the house lol

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

i was using fibre glass and resin in the house which when i look back was not such a good idea as the smell was still around a week later lol

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
well its the roof off of one lol. using it to make a mould off of so i can make my carbon fibre roof skin

Dizaster

Master Sergeant
Former Krew Member
lol u have to be careful with that stuff haha it would suck to pass out from fumes.

BriAn79

Second Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
Haha you're crazy pug! I can't say I'd ever try that but some of us do apparently lol. How come you didn't just wait for a good day? Were you an eager beaver...

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
at last the work has now paid off. well ish anyway as most of the hard work is now done

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
fiberglassed inside. especially if there wasnt good weather outside. I would have locked my self in a bedroom and pulled out the ol dustmask.lol

AVC

Banned
dust masks don't actually stop fumes, lol.

I got in trouble for painting the loungeroom windows in enamel. I had a stop work called on me.

Not sure how I was gonna take them outside, lol

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
yeah i was kidding about the dust masks. lol even worse then that is that i hardly ever use any mask or respirator. when i am painting in a confined area sometimes i will use a respirator. I love painting in a downdraft booth cuz then u dont really need anything even tho they say u do

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
ye i only use a mask with 2k paint but as we dont have that so much over here now i dont really use one >:(. all our paint has now gone water based :(

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
there are only a few shops here that have gone water based. i kinda wish we would switch because the shops that have it are getting alot of businesss from all the enviornment lovers.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
there are only a few shops here that have gone water based. i kinda wish we would switch because the shops that have it are getting alot of businesss from all the enviornment lovers.

water based pint is shit. 2k paint kicks arse

swapping to a water based is stupid coz they still use a 2k lacquer so it dose not make much difference at all and water based paint is hard to colour to match

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
what brand paint do u use? we just switched to standox about a year ago. I learned how to paint with Glasurit.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
what brand paint do u use? we just switched to standox about a year ago. I learned how to paint with Glasurit.

most of the time its not branded (just pain suppliers mixed on site stuff which has always been good stuff) unless its primer thn it as to be u-pol stuff. i dont really think the paint has much to do with the finish of the job its more down to how the painter puts the paint on there and as you can see from some of the work i have done i dont get a bad finish on it. but 2k paint gives a much better finish than 1k paint but then 2k is kinda of really thick and almost looks like a liquid plastic before its thinned down and it flats back and polishes up really well. also with the added benefit of being able to use a fast hardner drying times and cut to so its just a very good alround paint. we can still get 2k paint for older cars but we have to say that its for a resto (which most of the time is it with old vw's etc) but for new cars it all needs to be done in water based paint which i wont use because i think its just more hassle than its worth so car gets prep by me and then gose out to have colour put on it and back and ill clear coat and polish it up.

its true what they all good paint job is all down to good prep work

honestjohnny

Master Sergeant
|K3| Legend
i fully agree about the prep work. Prepwork is where i spend almost all my time. I dont agree about the paint not mattering where it is from. When painting with it u get about the same outcome with the finish but some paints are alot harder to tint then others. When we used glasurit, our tinting was alot easier( especially for mercedes) half the time we didnt even really need to blend other panels. Now that we have switched to standox there colors are always alittle off. blending is always needed no matter what. Also some paints are easier to polish up. When it comes time to Upol i have always felt they were a little cheap and didnt sand as well as some of the others. I am using the Standox primer rite now and actually do like their primer. But in the end i think it all comes down to how the painter learned and what paint they learned with. Most any paint comes out beautiful in the end. Just curious but how long does the water based paint take to cure up?

Top Bottom