Video Card Upgrade

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Planning on getting a new video card for my desktop, and I'm not sure what to look for, any recommendations?

Computer Specs
Manufacturer:Gateway
Processor:AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory:3838MB RAM
Hard Drive:629 GB
Video Card:ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics(<<<<<< SUX)
Monitor:Generic PnP Monitor
Sound Card:Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers Headphones:
Keyboard:USB Root Hub
Mouse:USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operation System:Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100608-0458)
Motherboard:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
What size and brand is your power supply and what kind of motherboard do you have?

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Here's my power supply
Brand: FPS Group Inc.
DC output: 300W

Not sure how to find my motherboard info but it is for a desktop

Last edited:

Ethan

Captain
Former Krew Member
You will need a better power supply for sure. Most cards require a minimum of 400W, so I'd get 450 or 500W to be safe. You can find some so-so ones for more or less $30

If you have a PCI Express 2.0x16 (which is what most motherboards have for the GPU slot), then I'd see about getting something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Good bang for the buck, and I will get something like it once I install a better power supply.

Before you do anything though, you need to make sure of the slot your motherboard has. I'd Google your computer, and then checkout the manufacturer's website for mobo info. I bought a new motherboard not to long ago because my old one had a PCI Express x1 slot, which is good for nothing.

Edit: I recommend NVIDIA because they have better customer service, and a site with all the info on any card you would want to buy, including lowest prices and game compatibility.

Last edited:

Joe Momma

First Lieutenant
Former Krew Member
I can find you a card that will run on 300w, but it's not going to be a mindblowing upgrade. It will be a good step up though. I highly recommend you save up money for a 500w PSU and a decent card.

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Oh well crap, guess I'll hold off getting one for now, I don't have enough for a new power supply and possibly a new motherboard, I'll just wait a few months then.

Edit: just realized I only have 50 GB of hard drive space left on my computer, can we change this to a recommended hard drives thread?

Last edited:

MasterCLiP

Resident Brony
Former Krew Member
Internal, and I would, I'm just worried I would run out of space before I am able to save up enough caps for one

Top Bottom