If you can help?? Cav would be eternally grateful until you piss him off somehow

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend
Hey y'all I did something rather foolish the other day. In a routine virus scan, McAfee came up with several viruses; so I naturally decided I don't want them on my computer so deleted the infected files immediately. I didn't even bother to find out exactly what files were effected until I figured out the hard way that I deleted several system32 files; which I've heard are basically the heart of one's pc. I've been searching the web for an hour and a half and can't really come up with anything better than a few scams to take my money. I already know what they're like >:( .
Anyway I can't do all that much, fortunately (and obviously) I can still access the web and play games that have a desktop icon, but things like auto play are non existent so my access to programs are pretty limited. I'm not computer savvy enough to determine what else is missing.
To sum up I'm at a loss as to what I should do, I suppose I can survive but it's all pretty annoying and it's slowing my computer down too.

Thanks
Caveadsum

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Well, i would say format and reinstall the operating system, but i'm sure joemomma, blu or pug would have better solutions for you. Thats really the only thing i can think of to tell you to do, but my knowledge isnt that vast.

Maybe a google of recovering system 32 files or searching that on you tube might help. I think you will need the windows disc tho.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Pop in the XP disk, restart the PC, and boot up from CD/DVD (tell us what PC you have so we can tell you what F button to press at start-up). Once it boots up from CD, look for Fix XP or something in that nature. Normally that should replace any missing files.

If that would of happened to me, I'd skip all that non-sense, save my files and reformat the PC just to be on the safe side.

BluBirD78

Master of BluballZ
|K3| Member
Yeah I agree with Wally, unless you can find out exactly which files and how many were deleted, if that was the case you may be able to just put the XP disk in, and copy and paste the files from the disk to the hard drive. I have done it this way before and it worked, but that probably depends on what files are gone and if they are on the disk as well.

Another option is you can try a system restore, assuming it's turned on. Click the start and go to accessories, and in that folder there should be a system restore. Pick a day that is in bold on the calendar that is BEFORE the day you did the virus scan, try this and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, put the disk in and boot on it, and do the repair option. From what I have read there is a certain way to do this repair, and people recommend NOT using the recovery console to do it, click the link below and scroll down to XP Repair, and do it exactly that way

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If none of these work, my last suggestion would be like Wally said, save your important stuff and do a complete clean install. I know that's frustrating to do it this way, but it's probably the best way and nothing beats a clean install, just remember to BACKUP YOUR STUFF if you choose this option ;)

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend
Okay thanks guys, I've already tried system restore several times and that's a no go. This computer was unfortunately my brother's before it was mine and he 'misplaced' all of the XP CDs, so I can't try and reinstall anything. Anyhow one of the files magically started working again today which was causing my chief difficulties, so I can live with it until I figure something else out. Thanks for the help.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
Do you have the Windows Sticker with your product key on the computer? If so, I'll send you a copy of mine. What XP are you using anyway?

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend
Uh it's a XP home edition version 2002 service pack 3. I think that's what you're looking for. I also see a number that looks suspiciously like a product key underneath.

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
I'll post a picture of it when I get home (work blocks photobucket), just to confirm you have the right looking product key label. I'm certain I have a copy of the Home Edition, if not I'll get it ;)

PM your address so I can have it already. Do you have anything important on your PC that needs to be saved? Pics, documents, cod4 profile, etc.? If so, you will need either a flash drive to fit all of that, an external hard drive, or if you have blank CD's or DVD's, that'll work as well but it'll take forever to backup your things not unless if they're small files like documents, then this would be fine and easy. Trying to backup music on DVD's takes a long time depending on how many mp3's you have.

PS. If you have a picture of the product key label, do not post it. Treat it like gold. I'll post one from photobucket later today.

Caveadsum

The Merchant of Venom
|K3| Legend
Hey bro, Actually as I said before some of these things have started working again and I think my stupid computer is pretty much clean ;D . I'm also not even planning on using this computer for much longer so all things considered, I really don't think it's worth the trouble 8) . It's not like I have anything important on this either, so I've got nothing to lose but my time, patience and temper >:( . Again I really appreciate it :-* , but I admit I don't feel like going to all that trouble when I can still do whatever it is I want to do on this thing anyway. :-* :-* :-* :-*
One question however does elude me: What's the point in all this technology? ??? Our lives were so much simpler and in many cases better when we weren't plugged in to our screens :eek: . Call me old fashioned, but that's how I feel. :-[

WaLLy

Lieutenant General
|K3| Executive
No worries.

And my life is actually much easier with these little buggers. ;D

Top Bottom