Building New Computer: HELP!!!!

stevo

eh
Former Krew Member
I agree with Damage Intel would be the best way to go unless you wanna save a bit of money and go with the AMD build. BTW intel 4 core cpus beat AMD 6 cores. AVC posted a pretty good build also

Jack

|KKK|s Sexiest Voice
|K3| Member
Don't worry about spending much money on a GPU, even the most expensive one will only last a few years, you need to spend over $140 on one that will suffice for atleast 2 years. A card you would pay $600+ for when Crysis came out is worth $40 now, and that ain't no joke.

Predator'

Staff Sergeant
Go with the i5 CPU, and preferably the Z77 chipset for the mobo, and 8GB of RAM, those bits should set you back maybe $500.

I would recommend a SSD for the OS and programs, and a standard SATA HDD for your files.

1GB video card

From where I get my gear:

Mobo - Gigabyte Z77M $125, or $145 if you want Crossfire capability
CPU - Intel i5 $240
RAM - 8GB Corsair Dominator series $67
HDD - 120GB Sandisk SSD $140, SATA HDD WD 1TB-$130 or 2TB-$230
VC - Gigabyte 7850 (1GB) $279 or 7870 (2GB) $429
Monitor - Samsung 23" - $270
DVD - $30

Price so far $1281 cheap or $1551. Plus case, and crap like KB, mouse

Case? How long is a pice of string? You can get a cheap-ass $100 with a 50W PSU, or a fancy $300 one (usually the high end ones have no PSU.
I bought my Lian-Li case years ago and have upgraded it several times, it's rugged, has a slide out mobo tray, twin inlet fans, filters, and no sharp edges.
But each to his own.

You can save money by just going with a single non SSD drive, and that price is for the 3570K i5, you could get a lower spec one and a Z68 MB for lower cost

I like the look of this build, its nice. Thanks for the help man :)

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Id go with Intel. If not, that looks good to me.

If i changed the build to go with Intel would there be a lot of changes?
PS My build not the Intel one AVC gave me

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
i would have said you will be looking at something along these lines

motherboard: - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 (no micro ATX Rubbish tho)
CPU: - Intel CPU Core i5 3570K Quad Core IvyBridge
RAM: - use the stuff that AVC listed above
SSD: - Kingston 120GB HyperX SSD - Solid State Drive
HDD: - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FBYS RE3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
GPU: - MSI HD7870 Twin Frozr OC AMD/ATI Graphics Card - 2GB
PSU: - Corsair CMPSU-750AXUK Professional Series Gold AX 750W Modular Power Supply

case is then down to what you like the look of or the amount of money you want to spend on it. like people have already said intel over amd bulldozer

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
Don't worry about spending much money on a GPU, even the most expensive one will only last a few years, you need to spend over $140 on one that will suffice for atleast 2 years. A card you would pay $600+ for when Crysis came out is worth $40 now, and that ain't no joke.

Totally disagree.

If he doesn't spend on a GPU, he won't be able to game with high specs in high resolution. If you get good hardware that stays relatively current for three years, you've done ok, and with the power of today's cards, a card like the 7870 will do great for a long time to come. In three years there will of course be cards that blow it away and the re-sell value will drop dramatically , but that could be said with pretty much anything. Investing in a top notch GPU is most definitely worth it.

Also there is a lot more competition today then there was back when the 9800GX retailed for 599$. That competition will most likely continue to increase and in turn keeping powerful cards at a decent price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom